Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hybrid bike recommendation

Options
  • 12-10-2007 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm thinking of buying a hybrid bike. I'm a big guy (18 stone) and I want to start cycling to lose weight & get fit. I was in Halfords recently and they have a nice Carrera Crossfire in 2 versions, a Crossfire and Crossfire II. They also have a Carrera Subway.
    Can anyone recommend a good bike. I'm willing to pay €300 to €400.

Thanks...

D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

Go for the Subway, they are good bikes. I'd stay away from the Crossfire, suspension is something to avoid in this price category and for your intended purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

I have a Dawes Discovery 201 hybrid that has served me very well over the couple of years iv had it. i was just over 16 stone and it was never a problem for the bike (*lost a good bit of weight cycling to work ;) ) . They cost about 370new but they are worth the money!

I might be selling mine in the next while for about 170euro if you were looking for second hand. Im considering a road bike for commuting!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Someone will soon come along to tell you to avoid Halfords. Maybe look at hybrids at a local bike shop. Starting at 299.
    The Giant CRS 4 for 350 might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Thanks for the info. I went to my local bike shop on Saturday and bought a Trek 7.2FX. It's a very nice bike and I'm very happy with it. I decided to spend a bit more than the entry level Hybrids.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Trek 7.2FX is a good choice. Have a Dawes Discovery 201 myself as well, very good reliable hybrid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement