Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK Import Photocopied V5 document

Options
  • 12-10-2007 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have just brought a car in from the UK this morning and am looking to clear it by paying the VRT. The thing is, the seller would not give me the V5 as he insisted that he needed to send it to the DVLA in the UK who would in turn action the change of ownership and send the new V5 on to me.

God knows how long this will take. I did get a photocopy of the V5, and was wondering if the VRT people will accept this? Otherwise I will be waiting probably weeks before I can clear it. My gut tells me they won't accept it but thought I would give you guys the chance to give me more info before I ring the VRT offices myself.

Regards,
    Richard

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Highly doubt they will photocopied owership papers!!

What a Stupid Seller . The DVLA wont send out a new V5 because you are not UK resident with a UK address.

What you should have done was detach section 11 or 12 (cant remember exactly) which is the section of permanenet export.. fill that out give it to the seller and retain the rest of the V5 yourself.

But whats done is done ... what you need to do now is go to the DVLA website , download and fill out the form for a cerrt of perm export (v526 or v756 , again i cant rememebr exactly :o ) fill it out and fax it off to the dvla ... you lll receive a certificate of permanenet export in about 6 weeks time and you can use that to VRT the car.

good thing is though ... if you go and try VRT it ... they vrt people will tell you all this and give you a 1month exemption on VRT incase u ever get stopped by guards or customns

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

They won't accept it. I know it's a bit late now, but you should have made giving you the V5 a condition of sale. The seller could have called the DVLA, who would have confirmed that it was ok to give it to you. I'd call the seller right away, see if you can sort this out before they send the V5 in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Thanks for the quick response guys. I rang the seller and had a chat with him. I directed him to a section on the DVLA website where it gives info on exporting vehicles and he is going to verify the correct procedure and then send it onto me.

The issue was that he has a V5C registration document which is different to the V5 which does not have a detachable export section on it that he could keep and send to the DVLA.

Anyway, it looks like it has been sorted so thanks for your help.

Regards,
    Richard

Advertisement