Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cistern Cover for Toilet

Options
  • 12-10-2007 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭

Hi,

I did my snag for my apartment and one of the things my snagger noticied was that that the marble cistern cover for the toilet was not cut squarely and did not fit evenly in one of the corners. Also there was quite a large gap between the cover and the tiles at the bottom. This cover I assume is always left unsealed and open for easy access if there was a problem with the water works inside the cistern.

Now the builders have come back to me and said that they have fixed this problem and what they did was, they sealed the top and sides of the cover to the cistern with a black sealant! He said that's how they should be finished, sealed!!

I told them this was absolutely bullsh1t and that the cover should never be sealed! I asked him how would I open it if there was a problem with the cistern and I needed to open it and he replied he would get someone in to remove the sealant and reseal it again after. He also said that builders would be on site 12 months after I move in and after that the management company would look after it.

Now I'm no expert on cisterns and how they should be fitted but am I right in saying that the cover should never be sealed tight and always left open for easy access?

What should I go back and say to them? I've already said that this is not fixing the problem and that this is the lazy way of covering over a mistake. He said I should come in and take a look first which I don't agree with as there is no point inspecting the apartment if all the items on the snag are not fixed properly.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

A guy here had similar issues snagging and ended up calling the manufacturer of the household item and got instructions in writing saying that what the builder was attempting was not within the specifications for the device, etc... try that route?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭PIMPHO

Good idea. I'll just say I was speaking to the manufacturer of cisterns and they advised that they are not to be sealed!

Thanks

Eh - hang on... they aren't supposed to be sealed as the air-flow when the cistern empties will be impeded and will fail to flush completely. That's the reason why they are loosely fitted!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm wondering .. is this the cover for the cistern itself? I.e. if you remove it can you see the water, or is it a kind of decorative cover on some kind of enclosure for the cistern itself? I only ask because a marble cistern top seems a bit, well, odd to me. If it is actually the cistern lid, then as 10-10-20 says, it'll stop the cistern working properly, if at all!

Alun wrote: »
    I'm wondering .. is this the cover for the cistern itself? I.e. if you remove it can you see the water, or is it a kind of decorative cover on some kind of enclosure for the cistern itself? I only ask because a marble cistern top seems a bit, well, odd to me. If it is actually the cistern lid, then as 10-10-20 says, it'll stop the cistern working properly, if at all!

Have a look at the picture attached. Its the actual cover for the cistern itself. It's like the ones in hotels.

So I can safely say that cover for cistern should not be sealed, full stop!

Such chancers those builders are! I'm fecking raging!!

Thanks lads!

A bit small but attached now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

PIMPHO wrote:
    Have a look at the picture attached.
    Can't see any picture there, I'm afraid :(

Ah - that's a vacuum cistern and typically is sealed behind tiles... your builder may be correct...

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Ah - that's a vacuum cistern and typically is sealed behind tiles... your builder may be correct...

"Sealed behind tiles". Does that mean the marble cover on top is securly sealed? How would you open it up if you there was a problem? The builder said he sealed the cover i.e. securely sealed.

Can anyone else confirm or shed some light on this? Should it be sealed or not?

Thanks

Advertisement