Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tikka T3 Tactical .223

Options
  • 12-10-2007 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭

hey guys (and girls),

im thinking of going for a Tikka T3 Tactical in .223, just dropping a line to see if anyone has experienced this firearm in this calibre. Ive read alot on the net but most of the reviews tend to focus on the .308 model,which i dont need as the remy 700 wouldnt be too happy if it got some competition!!!:D
    Any help would be great....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

you'v come to the right place to ask, i dont use one, but a few of the lads here swear by them, so im sure they'l give you some good insight into it. also look at some older threads you'l get some good info on that shooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

i have one, great gun, what you intend using it for?? they very very accurate and reliable BUT very heavy for a hunting gun,i do some lamping some daytime and some target with mine and it is fantastic but if i were buying again i would seriously consider the steyr prohunter mountain, has everything the tikka has and also has set hair trigger and the SBS SYSTEM which is very safe and steyr renound for accuracy and very good build quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

I am planning to use it for a bit of everthing to be honest, mostly foxes thou...im not too worried about the weight issue as i have a Remington 700 VLS in .308 that i use for chasing deer over the hills of donegal, so im getting used to that!!!;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

There's at leats 5 of them floating around on boards now. Great gun, comes in 2 barrel lenghts so make sure you specify which one you want when buying. If you going to buy a good gun make sure and budget for some good glass to put on top.

I've lighted up my trigger significantly using the allen key adjustment screw on it and its fantasic.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭marlyman

heres my tikka t3 in left hand with an aes silencer, harris bipod and a bushnell yardage pro rangefinder. theyre a splendid rifle to shoot. accurate as hell. mine is heavy for hunting but im a big lad so i dont mind. got min from dave mulvihall in ballymahon and hes knows quite a bit about them too. i have fired 10 brands of ammo through mine - best was american eagle - the cheapest, and hornady match 55g - the dearest. pm me for any more info.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

marlyman wrote: »
    heres my tikka t3 in left hand with an aes silencer, harris bipod and a bushnell yardage pro rangefinder. theyre a splendid rifle to shoot. accurate as hell. mine is heavy for hunting but im a big lad so i dont mind. got min from dave mulvihall in ballymahon and hes knows quite a bit about them too. i have fired 10 brands of ammo through mine - best was american eagle - the cheapest, and hornady match 55g - the dearest. pm me for any more info.
    That's a sweet looking rig (and collection!) marlyman, congratulations.

One quick question, do you get much used here in Ireland for the snow camouflage suit we see hanging in the 2nd and 3rd pictures?

:D

heres hoping that it is a snow suit and not his glad rags for tonight!!!
    :D:D:D

i keep telling myself "it will come back into fashion, it willllllll".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Don't have one myself but one of the lads in our club ( posts here as well ) has one and is absolutely in love with it. I've never fired it but handled it once or twice and it feels just right. The guy has taken a mad amount of foxes with it so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Don't have one myself but one of the lads in our club ( posts here as well ) has one and is absolutely in love with it. I've never fired it but handled it once or twice and it feels just right. The guy has taken a mad amount of foxes with it so far...

I have a feeling i might be the lad;)I got my tactical in feb off david mulvhill same place marlyman bought his varmint stainless sound fella david;)
    I have shot in and around 90 foxes since then with her at all distances the adjustable cheekpiece and factory threading are very useful and the trigger is sweet.There a expensive gun though usually 300-400 more than the remmie varmint rifles and a gun like the tactical deserves quality glass sitting on top of it €1000+and the optilock mounts are a must so whatever way you look at it its going to be an expensive gun mine has set me back €3600 and counting but is a hell of a gun i was out with mine tonight-pics in hunting section i fired 5 bullets hit each fox pinpoint and an unlucky rabbit at 210yards same story every time i bring that rifle out i dont miss to much with it:)

• Advertisement

thanks for all the info guys, now all i have to do is sweet talk the local super :D

just out of interest what are price aproximitly are you talking for a tikka .223? also do you have to be a member of a target range to own one of these? i already have my shotgun and .22lr lisence.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

stevoman wrote: »
    just out of interest what are price aproximitly are you talking for a tikka .223? also do you have to be a member of a target range to own one of these? i already have my shotgun and .22lr lisence.

I got mine of duffys in galway..
    http://www.shoot.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_24&products_id=23

very pricey terrier!!!!! apart from that what who'd be the best rifle for foxes. i know im at nothing really with my cz .22lr

mine was roughly 1000 - 1100. call up dave mulvihall in ballymahon - 2 of the people on this thread have bought the t3 off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 R_B_D

Im interested in getting a tikka t3 tac aswell in .308 for deer,i was advised to get the 20" barrel for hunting or the 24" barrel for longer range applications,has anyone else any advice and could someone pm me dave mulvihall's phone number,because he really seems to be giving the best price for one,thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

I fired the T3 .223 today.... holy smoke thats a serious bit of kit! I reckon you must have to bring a bag to put the pieces of fox into? I fired it without the mod and wow! what a bang. I dont know rifles but I know what I like and if I had a spare €3,000..... I would!

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

marlyman wrote: »

Has anyone had any experience with the Bushnell Yardage Pro scope? What are they like in low light conditions? Are they worth the money or should a buy a leupold?

pampers wrote: »
    Has anyone had any experience with the Bushnell Yardage Pro scope? What are they like in low light conditions? Are they worth the money or should a buy a leupold?

well i have a leupld vx3 on my .17 and a bushnell yardage pro on my 223 - they are both excellent scopes with no discernable differencw in low light conditions - by that i mean they are both very clear. in high light the bushnell is better due to the lens coatings. if you want a rangefinder get the bushnell but youll have to pay the extra for it - if not then the leupold.

i think the question you should be asking is "do i need a rangefinder in my scope?" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

That tikka looks the business but I have to say i'm a TRG-22 fan!

http://www.shoot.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_24&products_id=52

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Yeah the TRG I would LOVE!! Eventually after I manage to save
    for an alarm, a backyard wall, floor tiles and a few other things
    its next on the list of things to save for. All green for me.
    (only catch is after paying the mortgage I only got about 180 Euros
    to live off of per week so I am guessing its a long way off for me)

Its an absolute killer though to think that in .308 that
    after 1000 rnds you start to loose accuracy and need to change
    the barrel. Each shot would have to be a magic moment if your used
    to the low cost of rimfire shooting.

Dont think I would get one though until I had a lot of experience
    under my belt with shooting the rimfire out to its limits and gaining
    general shooting experience. I dont think its the thing a newbie
    should just leap into. (money wise) at the moment I only get to shoot
    maybe once or twice a month and have no coaching so gotta learn myself.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

I've fired a few .308 bolt actions myself and they're magic as you say... it's d'oul army training you see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 urbanstyles

Marlyman, I'm interested where you got your silencer. I have the same rifle in a 6.5x55 and would like to add one. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

bullets wrote: »
    Its an absolute killer though to think that in .308 that
    after 1000 rnds you start to loose accuracy and need to change
    the barrel.
    ~B

That doesn't sound right at all. I'd have thought a .308 would be good for 4,000 rounds or more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Sandy22 wrote: »
    That doesn't sound right at all. I'd have thought a .308 would be good for 4,000 rounds or more.

I heard 2000

i git mine from brian duffy in galway www.shoot.ie. its an ase utra compact silencer. its the top dog for noise reduction - better than reflex.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I'm thought that it was around 3000 or a bit over for the .308.Obviously rate of fire would be a big factor in burning the barrel out quicker or hot loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

was getting quotes for the tikka t3 and there a few different models.
    the first was the Tactical and it was coming in between 1500 and 1700,
    this has a heavy or "bullbarrel.
    the next was the Varmant which wasnt much different in price.
    if your going to be shooting targets, theese are the rifles to go for,
    Now, there is also a T3 lite wich is very similar and same range and power but it has a lighter barrel and theese were coming in at E899 with the black composite stock. I have been told that the difference in accuracy between the light and tactical which dosnt come in a light barrel(i may be wrong) is minimal, were talkin groups of 1/4 to 1/2 inch @200 yards where as with the bull barrel of the tactical and varmant they might be a bit tighter.
    the lite also comes with the stailless steel barrel(optional)
    there is also the hunter but i cant remember if theese were in the T3 models but theese were around 1000 yoyos.
    id love to hear from somone who has had experience with both the Tactical, the Varmant and also the Lite T3 modles.

Advertisement