Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bicycle helmet reverse mirror

Options
  • 12-10-2007 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭

2 points
    Does anybody know where in Dublin you can get a particular helmet with a reverse mirror built in (I've hard of them)
    Just wondering if anybody has or recommends them (is there a website?).
    Ta
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I remember trying one on. A cyclist in a ticket queue at Croke Park had one and I asked if I could try it on. Wasn't for me. Like the mirrors that look like a dental mirror, I felt that I'd have to change my eye focus far-to-near to use them.

I have been using a Zefal Dooback bar end mirror for ~15 years now. I love it. Got it at CycleWays for about 15 euro.
    Similar ones at CRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

The company was called Reevu - although their website only mentions motorcycle helmets now:
    http://www.reevu.com

I think I saw one in the Cycle Superstore way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

you can still get these fit any helmet

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=5541

never used one myself though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭DITTKD

Could you not pop into a scrap yard and take the mirror off a Honda 50 or something? Then weld/glue/stickytape it onto the bike?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

daymobrew wrote: »
    I felt that I'd have to change my eye focus far-to-near to use them.
    You just have to see the car behind you, not read the number plate :)

It does take a bit of getting used to, and it's not a total substitute for looking around as there's a blindspot at the edges which prevents you from seeing something that's already started to overtake you; but I wouldn't be without my Reevu.

However, I think I got the last one in Dublin: after a trawl through several shops I ended up with the unboxed display model from Commuting Solutions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

I have rear view sunglasses, dunno if you can get clear versions, the side of the glass has reflective transparent stuff on it- like mirror shades. You can focus you eye to look through it. Does take getting used to though- sometimes something bright can shine it in them and you could think it is infront. I used it more to check for cyclists and cars behind when avoiding potholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I've had a few bar-end mirrors in my time and I've often wondered if they can make you a bit complacent about your general level of road awareness. But it's easy to take that logic too seriously and assume that just because you're using one, you'll refuse to look around. (We all know where that logic leads in relation to everyone's favourite hoary old chestnut, The Helmet Debate...)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I've had a few bar-end mirrors in my time and I've often wondered if they can make you a bit complacent about your general level of road awareness.
    Quite the opposite for the way I use it. I can check behind me very frequently (like one would do in a car) and not lose any awareness of what is in front of me.
    I admit that I have lost the ability to turn around without wobbling.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have a bar-end mirror on my commuting/touring bike and it really is incredibly useful. Got it in Cycleways.

Advertisement