Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting mountain bike to fixed gear

Options
  • 12-10-2007 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

I've been looking into converting my mountain bike (Salcano, front suspension) to a fixed gear, or single speed.

Reasons:
    • I do alot of cycling around busy towns and Dublin (the odd day doing deliveries)
    • the few fixed gear that I've been on seem to take more abuse
    • less money is wasted on upkeep and repairs

single-conv.gif
    Found this site earlier on

Obviously it's a big job (if it can be done).

What would I be looking at in terms of - Time, money, parts etc?
    Looking for any input from someone who's converted or build their own.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Another question - how do I go about working out the gear ratios? Trial and error - or are there general recommendations for city riding ?

<edit> the bike I'm looking to convert - not the exact model, but close enough 419h9TV6UQL._AA280_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

You can't convert that frame into a fixed-gear since it doesn't have horizontal dropouts. You can convert it to a singlespeed easily enough, using a chain tensioner.

Here's how:
    http://www.mtbr.com/faq/ssfaq.shtml#ssConversionsHowTo

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

Well, first off, the chances are your mountain bike frame has a vertical dropouts as opposed to track or semi-horizontal dropouts, which makes tensioning the chain on a fixie or singlespeed much more difficult.

There is a neat solution but its quite expensive. The white industries ENO hub. check out this website for an explanation as to its virtues. Expensive, but good quality.

A cheaper solution is to just get the right length of chain without it being too tight or too loose, and this can be done using a half link.

Alternatively, as your pic shows, you can run a chain tensioner but this only works properly on a single speed rather than a fixed.

how much it will all cost depends on what approach you take, but particulary whether you use a singlespeed or fixed specific hub onto your rear wheel or buy one of those gizmos, such as a Surly Fixxer, to convert an existing MTB hub.

cheapest solution is something like an on-one singlespeed kit and a chain tensioner.

Yeah, point taken. On second thoughts - I might just buy a cheapish (but good quality) frame and build it up - to spare me the hassle of wrecking my mountain bike.

ac89_2.JPG
    july2004_transitionht.jpg

I'll have a look into parts and prices. But is there much work in it after getting the saddle, wheels, chain etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

The costs of buying everything separately quickly add up - unless you get bargains off eBay etc. It's often cheaper just to buy a complete bike. You can get complete fixed-gear road bikes for as little as €450.

• Advertisement

Morgan wrote: »
    The costs of buying everything separately quickly add up - unless you get bargains off eBay etc. It's often quicker just to buy a complete bike. You can get complete fixed-gear road bikes for as little as €450.

True, but the initial price of parts will be worth the hassle-free days with a built fixed gear, and I get a lot more satisfaction out of building things myself (weird I know).

*off to trawl e-bay*

Advertisement