Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

arts in sligo

Options
  • 12-10-2007 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

What do people make of the "arts scene" in Sligo? (hate that phrase). It seems to me that there is always a lot going on, but it annoys me that plays in the hawkswell and other theatre's only ever seem to be on for a few days, often in the middle of the week. Sometimes there doesn't seem to be enough notice or advertisement given, but perhaps the fault lies with me and the fact that I'm not in town every day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

There would be lots of advertising in the local papers but if your not reading them then...

In the meantime this might help:
    http://www.hawkswell.com/events/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Of course I read the papers, but that's only part of the problem. Take the colin murphy gig that's on tonight, the first I heard of it was the paper which came out wednesday. I only got around to reading it last night and there are no tickets left. Surely I'm not the only one who doesn't read the post as soon as it comes out? Wouldn't it help if these things were advertised at least a week in advance? The only things that I've seen well advertised in the papers and in plenty of time is the warhol exhibition in the niland, and Sligo live. Credit to the niland and the people in charge of sligo live, but most things don't seem to be advertised until the week they are on.

Wasn't actually talking about the post.
    But yeah I see your dilemma.

In that link I sent you it appeared that the Hawkswell have their acts listed for the next 3 months?

They should have a newsletter set up tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I think lots of things lack advertising here.
    We went to see a great Pink Floyd tribute act some years ago at the Hawks well, I just happened to notice a poster when I drove past and then a week before there was an ad in the paper.
    So only a handful of people were there and needless to say the band haven't been back since.

I know that there are newletters/pamphlets out occaisonally which is nice. My main problem though as I said is that the plays are never on for very long. But enough of focussing on the negative! that's not what I wanted this thread to be about-what do people think of the "scene"? Is there enough going on? Do they feel their interested are represented? Do they go to the theatre or galleries or are they too stuffy and pretentious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I would like to see more going on. I know there is quite a bit, but really not my kind of thing.
    I end up having to go to Castlebar more often which is a pain.
    I agree about the plays not being on for long enough.

I would have been a fairly regular visitor to the Hawkswell a while back.
    I used to love the Choral Festival but then they moved it to the IT!
    Kinda lost interest after that!

magnumlady wrote: »
    I think lots of things lack advertising here.
    We went to see a great Pink Floyd tribute act some years ago at the Hawks well, I just happened to notice a poster when I drove past and then a week before there was an ad in the paper.
    So only a handful of people were there and needless to say the band haven't been back since.

Yeah that's the type of thing that I'm talking about. In theory Sligo seems to have tons going on, but there doesn't seem to be that many people who know about it except regulars. The last time I was in the hawkswell was a few months ago and there was less than twenty people at the play.

Still though I don't want to be all negative, its good to see that there is a lot of stuff on offer and the hawkswell have a newsletter out and the county council have apparently hired someone to review local people's writing for them. (I read this in the champion a few weeks ago but didn't keep the paper, can anyone give me some more info on this?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

It's far from vibrant and far from inclusive. So much of what does happen is funded by government in some way, so the people running certain events are under no pressure to try and get people to attend as they won't lose out financially anyway.
    I usually hear about things word of mouth or, more usually, after it's happened. Or hear about something interesting ages in advance, only to find closer to the date that it's been cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

The Niland usually has a bit on. They have a brilliant Andy Warhol exhibition on at the moment. Then theres "Craic in the box" every month, regular film screenings and the like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement