Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving e-mail from godaddy?

Options
  • 12-10-2007 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Ok I hope I can explain this clearly. Currently I have a domain name example.com with godaddy and have an email package xxx@example.com with them also for a further fee. Anyway email is due for renewal in Jan and as I was thinking of getting a web hosting package from hostmonster http://www.hostmonster.com/hosting-features.htm which includes POP3/POP3 Secure Email Support etc. Am I right in assuming I could host my own existing e-mail now through this hosting package rather than paying godaddy?

ding

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Yes.

This is probably the best thing to do -

Get your hosting account. Set up all the mailboxes. The mail servers will probably be mail.yourdomain.com. Hopefully this is what godaddy are doing, although I have no idea.

Move your files / website / everything across to the new hostmonster account.

The world will still be seeing your godaddy account at this stage.

Change your domains nameservers to point to hostmonsters nameservers.

The change should happen problem free...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

dublindude wrote: »
    Yes.

This is probably the best thing to do -

Get your hosting account. Set up all the mailboxes. The mail servers will probably be mail.yourdomain.com. Hopefully this is what godaddy are doing, although I have no idea.

Move your files / website / everything across to the new hostmonster account.

The world will still be seeing your godaddy account at this stage.

Change your domains nameservers to point to hostmonsters nameservers.

The change should happen problem free...

I did this recently from GoDaddy with no problems whatsoever. If in doubt during the transfer, call their support team who are excellent and will talk you through what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Thanks for the replies. Mail servers are indeed currently mail.yourdomain.com so I should be good to go. Good info guys and thanks for the detailed response!

ding

Advertisement