Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ardal O'Hanlon stand-up

Options
  • 12-10-2007 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

hey folks,

Mods if ye wanna move this that's cool. Just wanted to post this here as it's better to get a general public view and wasn't sure which other section to put it in.

thinking of going to see him tonight but heard mixed things about him before so not sure.

is he any good?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

You're his manager right ??

Kraggy !! and you're asking if Ardal O'Hanlon is funny :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

ha.

no i'm not. never even clicked the thing with my username.

i think his manager would have a slight more effective way of doing market research than that!

just wondering if he's any good that's all.

ps there's a difference between being funny on screen funny on stage. haven't seen him myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Try the new stand up forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

thanks standey. was looking for that but the menu is gone off the top of my page.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Click my sig baby :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I heard he is a terrible stand up. Painfully awkwardly bad, is what I heard.

But you should judge for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Hmm, Biko, you might want to put some text with that sig. I honestly thought it was just a skanger :D

I saw him on the Just for Laughs show and it was fairly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Funny in Father Ted, same as Paulin McLynn. Neither have been remotely funny since. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Funny in Father Ted, same as Paulin McLynn. Neither have been remotely funny since. :o

Yeah i got to agree with you. In fairness though i havent seen much of Ardal O'Hanlon doing stand up but i did see a short clip of him and he was awkward on stage. Not funny at all. He really was brilliant playing Dougal though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

where is he on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

*cough*

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=994

edit: missed smasheys post

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Moved from AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I went to see him years ago, around the time Father Ted was being made, and he was genuinely funny.

People are saying he's awkward on stage but that's actually part of the act, same way Dylan Moran seems drunk until you realise it's just his delivery style.

I don't know if his current material is any good but if it don't cost much I'd take the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

I saw him about 2 years ago.

I enjoyed him but i think a whole load of people (well the people i went with) somehow expected a bit of Dougalness from him.

IN all an enjoyable experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Earthhorse wrote: »
    I went to see him years ago, around the time Father Ted was being made, and he was genuinely funny.

People are saying he's awkward on stage but that's actually part of the act, same way Dylan Moran seems drunk until you realise it's just his delivery style.

I don't know if his current material is any good but if it don't cost much I'd take the chance.
    That's the thing. He's moved on from Dougal, and it doesn't help his act :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

............thats exactly it !

I've seen him several times, he is far more funny on stage live that anything he ever did as Fr. Dougal !

Definitely worth a punt for a good night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I saw him at UCD last year and he was decent. Not the best I've seen but certainly worth a punt!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

People are saying he's awkward on stage but that's actually part of the act

True, but it doesn't work, because that's how Fr. Dougal is, and it's like he is just trying to be Fr. Dougal as a live act.

same way Dylan Moran seems drunk until you realise it's just his delivery style.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

The-Rigger wrote: »

Thanks for that, it's really added so much to the thread.

Pretty sure Ardal O'Hanlon didn't incorporate the shyness and awkwardness into his act after Father Ted. It was there all along. That's why he was cast in the Dougal role.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

The-Rigger wrote: »

Bit unnecessary? You do know Dylan Moran is sober(ish) when he does his shows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Ive seen him a few times and he's quite good although he has been using the same set for about 16 years now.
    Although apparently he has a new set coming out soon (for DVD)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I was at the show he recorded for his new dvd, it's still the same old material

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

*bashes head off wall 'til dead*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

orestes wrote: »
    I was at the show he recorded for his new dvd, it's still the same old material

ah here, you cant be serious!! he must have done some new stuff, it coulnt have been the "**** on a train" material again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

He did all of the stuff he did at Stop, You're Killing Me in Vicar Street about five years ago, and the rest was stuff he did at various shows that have been showing on Paramount for the last few years. There was some new stuff, but just don't buy the dvd if you have seen him in the last five years, that's my advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

now that really is rediculous, and he's a "professional" comedian? same set over 9 years is pushin the boat out a little!!

Advertisement