Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o2 on 4G

Options
  • 12-10-2007 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

I got a mail from an o2 reseller offering a new mobile broadband router. Anyone know anything about it (image of device attached)

See mail below.
    Thanks
    Dec

We are offering a FREE7 day trial of the 4G Router to demonstrate its ease of use and fast broadband speeds

Some of the key features include:

Up to 3.6 MBps download speeds with HSDPA
    No software installation necessary
    Suitable for mobile and stationary use as an alternative to fixed broadband

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Well its not 4G , which has not been ratified as a standard, so thats false advertising if they ever advertise it.

I do not think O2 are responsible for this so please name the reseller who is actually selling this thing in the interests of balance.

It may work quite well on 3g but thats not the point !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Surely it is 3G if anything. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I would agree, it's not 4G. So who ever is advertising it is definitely incorrect.
    The device is good in principle. It is essentially like a normal router but instead of a DSL line going into it there's a SIM card & buit-in HSDPA modem.
    - So you can use it to provide a wireless internet from a HSDPA connection for one or more users.
    - It is also useful in an area of variable indoor 3G coverage in that you can place the device in the spot with the best 3G coverage and connect via WiFi to your laptop/PC.
    As opposed to the Huawei modem situation where it is more difficult to share the connection & also you have to have the device connected via wire to the laptop/PC which in turn for poor indoor coverage areas means you can only use your laptop/PC in a room with good coverage.
    I'll let someone else debate whether HSDPA is true broadband.

In principle I would observe

1. Its not 4g or near 4G or anywhere like what 4G will be..
    2. Its not very future proof at 3.6mbits with 7.2mbits HSDPA coming soon
    3. Its not HSUPA compatible, also coming soon
    4. Its not 3.5g LTE compatible which is coming in 2 years
    5. It does not say whether it takes a cheap USB Huawei or a dear OPtion PC or PC Express card

Who is peddling this crap , its worth no more than €99 inc Vat given its guaranteed imminent obsolescence ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

I would agree, it's not 4G. So who ever is advertising it is definitely incorrect.
    The device is good in principle. It is essentially like a normal router but instead of a DSL line going into it there's a SIM card & buit-in HSDPA modem.
    - So you can use it to provide a wireless internet from a HSDPA connection for one or more users.
    - It is also useful in an area of variable indoor 3G coverage in that you can place the device in the spot with the best 3G coverage and connect via WiFi to your laptop/PC.
    As opposed to the Huawei modem situation where it is more difficult to share the connection & also you have to have the device connected via wire to the laptop/PC which in turn for poor indoor coverage areas means you can only use your laptop/PC in a room with good coverage.
    I'll let someone else debate whether HSDPA is true broadband.

Got it in one

I rang the company in question
    The company that make the product is called 4G

PS. I'm gonna register a company called 5G and sell it in a few years

Thanks all
    Dec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Confusinly named products like that should be illegal.

It doesn't do Flash-OFDM or Mobile WiMax or HSOPA, which at least are 4G type technologies (in that they are the next thing, i.e. 4th Generation, after 3G/HSPDA/HSUPA which are definately 3rd generation = 3G).

This is 2G / 3G only too
    http://www.mobileplanet.com/d.aspx?i=149197

This does support mobile WiMax (which isn't much use as no-one is deploying it commercially. It's Fixed Wimax that is getting rolled out)
    http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/Sept2006/3616.htm

And Linksys WRT54G3G, Netgear and Dovado do support Flash-OFDM or 3G/HSDPA in the same PCMCIA based router. (Different firmware and Modem though).

It won't speed up 3G either.

Its an xsbox r4v .....and it will cost €400 Delivered , minimum . There is a newer model , the R5 , which will support HSUPA and 7.2mbit downloads but it will cost more like €250. Wait for that instead I would think.

see

http://www.stacionarnik.ru/catalog/modems/section.php?SECTION_ID=1476

and

http://www.4g-systems.com/en/index.php?act=21&menu=1_1

4G is indeed the company name not a misleading technology name. Everything else I said is correct .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Seems Expensive.
    Linksys €140 PCMCIA
    Netgear €110 PCMCIA
    Dlink €150 (PCMCIA or USB)
    Same thing. Of course Linksys/netgear/Dovado/Dlink etc don't include the modem. But you get that subsidized when you sign up.

Advertisement