Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Al gore and UN Panel won the Nobel peace price

Options
  • 12-10-2007 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Al gore and UN Panel won the Nobel peace price :eek:

I am sure there will be uproar and condmination from (Foxnews loving) right wing and joy from left wing hippies :D.

I dont know whether whos facts right or wrong? as per me i dont blv in hippie stuff (but i like their "Free Love" principle though) i have choosen the following rules after watching that movie though

1) i switched from traditional light bulbs to those energy efficient expensive (damn those bulbs i have rob a bank to buy those bulbs)

2) walking to office 2 days at least (free gym at least my car wouldnt crashed by some yummy mummy 4x4 :D )

3) Switch off the monitor when i am leaving office

4) bit more recycling/switch off tele instead of standby mode!

thats all i can do i guess, i dont care if some body dont do it. dont as me do more then this Al Gore! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Thats just what his ego needs ... :rolleyes:

Seriously this must have been a slow year for peace makers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

whil i commend the man for his bringing of awareness global warming issues to the mainstream, he does not deserve a nobel prize for it...

there are far more deserving people out there really... in places like Burma for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Everyone knows Kanye West should have won, and fair play to him for storming the stage to get his Nobel.

The "Nobel Peace Price for Physics" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

It looks like the Noble crowd have been got at as well.Its all a farce now .Gore is an also ran and getting the prize was maybe to give him a ticket to run for the US presidency. Talk about reinventing yourself .Is there no limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I couldn't believe it when I heard it on the radio this morning. Just how exactly did he deserve it? A sham if you ask me.

• Advertisement

D.T. Jesus wrote: »
    I couldn't believe it when I heard it on the radio this morning. Just how exactly did he deserve it? A sham if you ask me.

I fear the longer one lives the more cynical one becomes. There is nothing genuine anymore .Truth and integrity is long gone .Al Gore would have been long forgotten if not for the Nobel .Scrap the whole thing and start again .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Wicknight wrote: »
    Everyone knows Kanye West should have won, and fair play to him for storming the stage to get his Nobel.

The "Nobel Peace Price for Physics" :D
    lololol, that's Kenan of Kenan and Kel fame on the left :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bloody disgrace. First he invents the interweb and now saves the planet. Gah!

The money will be handy for paying his huge power bills.

Mike.

Gore was not good enough to be President ,now he gets the booby prize .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

I think Al Gore should be recognised for his ceaseless work for the environment. Ceaseless except for an eight year period starting in 1992 when he did feck all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

whil i commend the man for his bringing of awareness global warming issues to the mainstream, he does not deserve a nobel prize for it...
    Seriously this must have been a slow year for peace makers

I'm inclined to agree with both these comments. Does Environmentalism even qualify under 'Peace'? I would have thought 'Science' would be more apropos.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

We should'nt forget another reason for this prize, being the inspiration for Love Story (Ryan O'Neal played Gore ;) )

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

I'm inclined to agree with both these comments. Does Environmentalism even qualify under 'Peace'? I would have thought 'Science' would be more apropos.

NTM

I am shocked too. But, I guess it's in the sense that the environment and it's resources will cause war and competition, if we deem there is not enough for all of us. Reduction in consuming earth's resources = less war.

Science have their own prizes, I suppose Science that helps us get Solar energy etc could be in the same category.

edit for contradicting myself.

Does Environmentalism even qualify under 'Peace'?
    Wangari Maathai, in 2004, is considered the first to have been awarded the prize primarily for environmental work

http://www.thedailygreen.com/2007/10/12/nobel-peace-prize-winners-past-and-present/7772/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

fox news have been foaming at the mouth all day since the announcement of al gore as winner
    expect to see hit piece after hit piece on gore in the coming days from the so called fair and balanced network

when i watch fox news and i regulary do ( must be the masochist in me ) i really do fear for the future of the planet , that there are millions in the most powerfull nation on earth who swear by this propoganda outfit and the fact that theese people have a powerfull weapon at there disposal , i.e a vote is truly terrifying

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ceidefields

The whole point of giving him a peace prize for environmentalism was to highlight the dangers of global warming. Now whether the nobel prizes are a suitable forum for that is a separate discussions.

Al Gore is not going to run for president. Why on earth would he? He's busy pursuing causes that he's interested in. He has made it ADAMANTLY clear that he is not going to run. And the Democratic field is already crowded. He had to suffer through the whole process in 2000.

All I can say is if Gore had won in 2000, the US would not be in the sh1te situation it is in today.

Gore didn't get the booby prize, America did with George W!!!

Al Gore is not going to run for president. Why on earth would he? He's busy pursuing causes that he's interested in. He has made it ADAMANTLY clear that he is not going to run. And the Democratic field is already crowded. He had to suffer through the whole process in 2000.

Give me odds. At 50:50 i will take that bet. I think he will run.

The man is a politician. He does want to effect the world. He can get the democratic nomination. The democrat nomination should win the presidency. (this is because the republicans are widely hated (as is hillary clinton)).

*edit the odds of him winning the nomination are here http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go_type&category=SPECIALS&ev_class_id=33&ev_type_id=5142&ev_oc_grp_ids=22424#link_370229
    I still maintain the my odds on him running though.

Of Course Gore will run for President . He has his ticket now and HE has to save the planet .The new superman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

ever heard of (resource) wars?

anyway isn't this prize the grandaddy of greenwash, although its not a policy al gore (our are green mps have problem with)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Gore is a bitter man, and a hypocrite to boot, the environment was the only attention grabbing thing the guy could come up with.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

jonny72 wrote: »
    Gore is a bitter man, and a hypocrite to boot, the environment was the only attention grabbing thing the guy could come up with.

your so right sean hannity or is it rush limbaugh or some other right wing hack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

moe_sizlak wrote: »
    your so right sean hannity or is it rush limbaugh or some other right wing hack

Nah thats just my own opinion. I think its the only time in history I would actually agree with the right wing hacks on fox. I know something good comes out of the whole thing, but Gore is a hypocritcal attention whore just like Bono, they need the South Park guys to rip the piss out of them.. oh wait they already have.

hypocritcal attention whore just like Bono,
    They are annoying. That does not make them wrong though. Global warming is a scientific theory and should be judged as such. Issac newton was an appalling human being. That did not make gravity wrong.
    they need the South Park guys to rip the piss out of them.. oh wait they already have.
    man bear pig...
    I like when they poke fun at the pompous. But point 1 still holds. No matter how much you hate the messanger you have to judge the message on its merits

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I think I would have to agree with the general consensus on this one. All cynicism aside, I think Gore did a good job in informing millions of people about the problems associated with climate change. Now, the man could be a complete bastard for all I know, but that's irrelevant - Hitler could have been a gentleman; what difference would it have made? But obviously, the point is that giving him a Noble Prize is going way too far and it does make a mockery of the Noble Foundation.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

why is it a mockery?

both recipients made huge impacts on our society. one brought about the scientific basis and potential impacts of human-induced climate change, the other promoted this science (with errors but broadly correct) and made great strides in making it accessible to joe public.

wars WILL happen because of climate change. the two recipients have done more than anyone in tackling the problem.

for those that disagree with the choice, who would you have chosen in their stead?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

I can’t help but believe that the world would be a far better place now if the US Supreme Court had come down on the side of Gore instead of Bush. For one thing the world would not have experienced that appalling character Cheney.

What about all the scientists and individuals who have done work with regards to global warming and climate change over the years ?Gore latches on to this bandwagon and gets all the credit ,just like the politician he is .Politician always take the credit but never any blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    What about all the scientists and individuals who have done work with regards to global warming and climate change over the years ?Gore latches on to this bandwagon and gets all the credit ,just like the politician he is .Politician always take the credit but never any blame.

Eh, the IPCC (the scientists) won it also.

Gore got it for spreading the word, the IPCC got it for writing it in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

csm wrote: »
    Eh, the IPCC (the scientists) won it also.

But it's reported as, and will be remembered as, being won by Gore.

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I can’t help but believe that the world would be a far better place now if the US Supreme Court had come down on the side of Gore instead of Bush. For one thing the world would not have experienced that appalling character Cheney.

It's true that Cheney and Rumsfeld are utterly detestable characters that the world could do without, but would Gore have done things much differently to Bush? Possibly not. The Democrats supported the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan aswell, one side is as bad as the other there. Now that Gore cares so much about the environment I'll be waiting for him to move out of his grid-draining mansion and get rid of whatever gas-guzzling monstrosities are parked in his garage (those yanks do love their petrolaholic SUV's). Being the politician he is he latched onto something that could promote his image in a positive way, so fair dues to him.

But I must say I'm a bit confused as to how a guy who supported war in Iraq (and he did at the time in case you're wondering) is now deserving of a nobel peace prize. They've made a mockery of the thing. Why not give it to Tony Blair next year, after all he is now a 'peace envoy' (cue laughter at the sheer irony of that title).

Advertisement