Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Right to assemble, O'Connell Street, Dublin

• 12-10-2007 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54181426&postcount=2495
    if you're planning to have a protest, don't do it at the henry street store because you'd have to go down o'connell street on the way and as far as i know its illegal for more than 6 people to gather on o'connell street without a permit since some anti globalisation protesters ruined it for the rest of us a few years ago

Is it now illegal as alluded to by the poster above that gatherings of 6 or more people on O' Connell Street in Dublin is forbidden? What statute provides for such restrictions. I am pretty sure none exist but I just wanted to make sure.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Fey!

Would it not be under a local bye-law?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would be skeptical about this claim. At best, I would guess that the Gardai are officially allowed to "disperse" any crowds of six or more, where their presence is causing a nuisance, but they cannot stop crowds from gathering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Well is O'connel st. within half a mile of leinster house?

s. 28 Offences Against the State Act 1939

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1939/en/act/pub/0013/sec0028.html#zza13y1939s28

As the crow flies, I would say it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

so are all them tourists that meet at the GPO risking prosecution?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

seamus wrote: »
    As the crow flies, I would say it is.

Google says no.

I was trying to figure out how do that. I was measuring on Google maps with my fingers. From Dawson St.

I'd never be a taxi driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Lunabu

I'm shocked and stunned to hear about this!
    Why am I thinking of the Irish history and the British occupation of Ireland? And the Civil War?
    Since when are we living in a police state?

Believe me, being from Germany originally, I know what I'm talking about:D (and no, I'm not from the former communist East Germany).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Bond-007 wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54181426&postcount=2495

Is it now illegal as alluded to by the poster above that gatherings of 6 or more people on O' Connell Street in Dublin is forbidden? What statute provides for such restrictions. I am pretty sure none exist but I just wanted to make sure.

tottally off topic but apparently they are no statues on O'Connell st. only 'monuments'

Think ill have another beer....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Lunabu wrote: »
    I'm shocked and stunned to hear about this!
    Why am I thinking of the Irish history and the British occupation of Ireland? And the Civil War?
    Since when are we living in a police state?

Believe me, being from Germany originally, I know what I'm talking about:D (and no, I'm not from the former communist East Germany).

Ah, it wouldn't be all bad if it were true - no more Spanish students standing around there in the way...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Don't forget folks, Ireland is officially in a declared "State of Emergency".
    The WWII State of Emergency was never repealed AFAIK.
    Cynics might say the Govt. left it this way to facilitate legislation to deal with certain organizations such as the IRA. Nowadays this gives the State leeway to abuse their powers that would not be allowed in "peace time".

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Hagar wrote: »
    Don't forget folks, Ireland is officially in a declared "State of Emergency".
    The WWII State of Emergency was never repealed AFAIK.

The WWII emergency powers were replaced in 1976 with the intention of dealing with illegal organisations, and the new powers were repealed in 1995.

Any links to where the State of Emergency was actually repealed?
    I would be really interested to see one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I cannot find any Act or SI to indicate it was ever repealed.

Excellent link.

I'm still unsure though, the last paragraph is a bit of a cliff-hanger
    In recommending to the House that it approve the motion to end the state of national emergency, the Government is acting in pursuance of its commitment to promote and advance the peace process. In taking this step, it has had regard to the total transformation consequent on the cessation of the paramilitary campaigns of violence not only in this jurisdiction but throughout the island. It is entirely appropriate that a measure introduced in particular circumstances of difficulty and danger and [1587] which was always regarded as temporary in character should now cease to have effect.
    We now have an opportunity to realise the goal of lasting peace to which all of us on this island have long aspired. The Government is determined to play its full part in that process. We look forward to early completion of the framework document. We look forward thereafter to comprehensive political negotiations getting under way as quickly as possible so that ultimately a lasting political settlement, based on agreement and consent, can be made a reality for all.
    Question put and agreed to.

Was the repeal of the State of Emergency passed into law or are we still looking forward to "a measure introduced in particular circumstances of difficulty and danger and which was always regarded as temporary in character should now cease to have effect." being removed?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Hagar wrote: »

Was the repeal of the State of Emergency passed into law or are we still looking forward to "a measure introduced in particular circumstances of difficulty and danger and which was always regarded as temporary in character should now cease to have effect." being removed?
    Nothing in this Constitution other than Article 15.5.2° shall be invoked to invalidate any law enacted by the Oireachtas which is expressed to be for the purpose of securing the public safety and the preservation of the State in time of war or armed rebellion, or to nullify any act done or purporting to be done in time of war or armed rebellion in pursuance of any such law. In this sub-section "time of war" includes a time when there is taking place an armed conflict in which the State is not a participant but in respect of which each of the Houses of the Oireachtas shall have resolved that, arising out of such armed conflict, a national emergency exists affecting the vital interests of the State and "time of war or armed rebel-lion" includes such time after the termination of any war, or of any such armed conflict as aforesaid, or of an armed rebellion, as may elapse until each of the Houses of the Oireachtas shall have resolved that the national emergency occasioned by such war, armed conflict, or armed rebellion has ceased to exist.

Emergency powers stem from the declaration by both houses that there is a state of emergency, and they are repealed by a similar declaration. There are no messy statutes etc required. Once the powers are removed by declaration, all acts made under those powers cease to have effect instantly.
    So by their agreement to the motion the dail, and later the seanad, ended the power.

Thanks for the clarification, I'm glad to know the correct position, 55 years was a long time to let it run on for all the same.

Advertisement