Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trade in, help needed!

Options
  • 12-10-2007 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am trading in my peugeot 407 ST comfort addition 2005, 18,000 miles on clock for, hopefully a nissan qashqai. I like the look of it to be honest I cant really afford a top range SUV and this seems to tick all the boxes fuel economy etc. It seems to have got good reviews.

What would be a good trade in price i would get for my Peugot. Much help would be appreciated. Any tips on negotiating!!!

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

take 25-35 % off the retail price then add 2 % back on because its comfort line , than remove another 10 % because its french and you have your trade in value.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I know this isn't an answer, but I wouldn't do a straight swap from a 407 into a Qashqai, much less pay money for the privilege. Is there any particular reason you want to change from the Peugeot?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Ms Inquisitive

I wouldn't recommend changing from a Peugeot to a Qashqai. And if you really want to then why not trying selling the Peugeot privately?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

ice27 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am trading in my peugeot 407 ST comfort addition 2005, 18,000 miles on clock for, hopefully a nissan qashqai. I like the look of it to be honest I cant really afford a top range SUV and this seems to tick all the boxes fuel economy etc. It seems to have got good reviews.

What would be a good trade in price i would get for my Peugot. Much help would be appreciated. Any tips on negotiating!!!

Cheers!

why are you mentioning the words SUV and Qashqai in the same sentence? its a hatchback on stilts, i cant see what advantages it offers over the 407? you could sell the 407 and buy a proper suv secondhand, does it have to be a new car?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

i could not see the point in doing this unless its to make some dealer rich - and give him the opportunity to insult you with Peugeot jibes.

If the 407 isn't giving you trouble its probably a better riding and handling car than the Quasqai anyway - your actually going a step down.

if you want an SUV - buy a proper one as Cyrus suggests and take the hit on the age of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Cool, multi quoting......

Anyway, I agree with the previous posters. From personal experience of both cars the 407 is a far more comfortable, better handling and infintely more spacious car.

Why not go for a nearly new SUV if you want the higher driving position. Particularly this time of year you will get good deals.

Regarding the 407, the book value is approx €18,500 (slightly more if it is a 2.0L and slightly less if it is a 1.8L).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Morrismurf

I see the old, (ok not so old) Qashqai-bashing topic rearing its head again...oh dear.

Lets look at this logically. A recurring argument against most SUV's is that many owners are not really making use of their SUV qualities, i.e. off-roading, heavy towing, etc. So why are they so popular ? - apparently many buyers/drivers like the high driving position and general look of them.

Soooo, Nissan come along and give these drivers exactly the car they want and they vote with their feet/wallets, so what's wrong with that? Saying its not really an SUV is missing the point entirely...its not claiming to be.

Guess what, I own a Qashqai. It does exactly what I want, the spec is pretty good for the money, and I can get in and out without effort - which is handy when you're touching 50 and 6'2" tall!...all without paying a "real" SUV premium. I suspect I'm not on my own as NIssan have been having problems keeping up with demand.

And no I don't offer blind loyalty to ANY brand. I believe to do so is foolish. Modern engine management systems seem to have introduced a while new range of built-in potential problems...regardless of the brand.
    Nowadays it is not uncommon to see ANY marque of six-month-old car sitting on the back of a recovery vehicle because some electronic control device has left the car immobile on the side of the road. That would have been a much rarer sight 20 years ago!

Have to go now...I'm tired!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭ice27

RobAMerc wrote: »
    i could not see the point in doing this unless its to make some dealer rich - and give him the opportunity to insult you with Peugeot jibes.

If the 407 isn't giving you trouble its probably a better riding and handling car than the Quasqai anyway - your actually going a step down.

if you want an SUV - buy a proper one as Cyrus suggests and take the hit on the age of it.

Cheers for the advice!

The reason is we recentely had a little baby and initially i was giving the main car which is the peugeot to the wife to get around with the baby and I'd get an old run around. It would be safer and easier for mobility etc as all she has is a 3 door seat arosa. However, she dosnt feel comfortable with the Peugeot as she finds it hard parking and seeing out the windows in certain turns etc so was just thinking of changing it and saw the quasqai and it looked good for the price.

I think u r right with the fact of being ripped off by dealers and selling it privately but its hit and miss when selling it this way, it can go on for months.

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭ice27

RobAMerc wrote: »

Cheers for the advice!

The reason is we recentely had a little baby and initially i was giving the main car which is the peugeot to the wife to get around with the baby and I'd get an old run around. It would be safer and easier for mobility etc as all she has is a 3 door seat arosa. However, she dosnt feel comfortable with the Peugeot as she finds it hard parking and seeing out the windows in certain turns etc so was just thinking of changing it and saw the quasqai and it looked good for the price.

I think u r right with the fact of being ripped off by dealers and selling it privately but its hit and miss when selling it this way, it can go on for months.

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

Hi there,

I am not a fan of Nissan - but, my mate bought one of those Qumquats ;) (Clarkson) and I must admit it is a nice car to drive and the spec is excellent, his is the 1.5 diesel and although very slow it feels ok, what I mean is it does not encourage you to try to drive quickly but it is comfortable enough with enough gadgets to keep you feeling good and you accept it - without realising!!

My daily drive is an ///M5 so I feel that if I can be happy (God I am so cool :o) spinning about in one then that can't be bad??

Seriously though, I have no experience with Peugeots so I cannot comment but I thought the Qashqai was very nice and very good value - the bluetooth is brilliant :D

Best of luck with your choice,

Richie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Morrismurf, welcome to non-lurker mode! How do you pronounce it anyway? Cash cow, I believe? Or Cash guy?

OP, if it's for your wife and baby, what are the NCAP ratings? Boot capacity? Ride comfort?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Niall06

NCAP rating is highest available, 5 stars.
    Comfort is superb and boot is more than big enough.

Yes I have one and I love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

S.I.R wrote: »
    take 25-35 % off the retail price then add 2 % back on because its comfort line , than remove another 10 % because its french and you have your trade in value.

:D - too true, and maybe make that last 10% to be 15%...

Advertisement