Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco offer - Goodmans TV. Any good

• 12-10-2007 1:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭

This is the package with the TV, stand and surround sound package. All they have in the ad is that it is a 27 inch LCD. Has anyone been into tesco and had a look at the actual specs of this TV or got the model number. Any comments as to whether the offer is good, bad or indifferent. I read reviews of other goodmans TVs, which suggested that the picture is not the best, but I don't know if that will also apply to this model.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Flat panel TV's have some way to go before the quality of manufacturing levels out and you can be sure of a reasonable product no matter what price.

Goodmans are cheap as chips LCD's and the quality is terrible , for a decent flat panel , at this moment in time , you must stick with the established brands ,

Pioneer , Samsung , Panasonic , Sharp , Toshiba , Sony , Philips , etc.
    Forget about these Tesco things , they are a complete waste of money.

Another thing you may hear , as its thrown around quite a lot , is something like ( Samsung make all the screens , so if its a samsung screen then its got to be good even though its a Goodmans , the same is usually said about LG screens ) , this is trash , complete rubbish , its true there are only a few main manufactures of screens , but the rest of the set is even more important , such as the scaler , backlight etc. So pay no attention to this screen maker rubbish if you hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

mathias wrote: »
    Flat panel TV's have some way to go before the quality of manufacturing levels out and you can be sure of a reasonable product no matter what price.

Goodmans are cheap as chips LCD's and the quality is terrible , for a decent flat panel , at this moment in time , you must stick with the established brands ,

Pioneer , Samsung , Panasonic , Sharp , Toshiba , Sony , Philips , etc.
    Forget about these Tesco things , they are a complete waste of money.

Another thing you may hear , as its thrown around quite a lot , is something like ( Samsung make all the screens , so if its a samsung screen then its got to be good even though its a Goodmans , the same is usually said about LG screens ) , this is trash , complete rubbish , its true there are only a few main manufactures of screens , but the rest of the set is even more important , such as the scaler , backlight etc. So pay no attention to this screen maker rubbish if you hear it.

Have to disagree with you on some of the above. I recently bought a 37" Toshiba LCD (am delighted with the quality - even on analogue). But I must say that the Goodmans in question, along with Black Diamond, were streets ahead of some of the brands quoted above in terms of picture quality. I was astounded at the difference.

I also know two people who bought the Goodmans (one on NTL Digita/ and analogue - the other on terrestrial TV) and have seen the picture quality in both homes. It's excellent. Both people have had them for over 12 months without incident. They were also very lucky. The TV concerened was retailing everywhere at €899. But they bought them in Homebase for just :€520!:eek:

I'd say go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭jmal

I would agree with both views on this one when it comes to displaying standard Digital or analogue signals from Sky and NTL etc. Both LCD Screens probably support the same resolution with a similar picture and are both HD Ready.

Where the big challange for a screen comes into play is when a high def picture is displayed such as Sky HD (1080i) or PS3/HD-DVD/Blue-ray 1080p resolution. I think you'll find the cheaper models will struggle to produce the same quality picture as the Sharp's/Poineer's of this world. This all comes back to the internal parts of the screen (scaler, etc).

You might say "SO WHAT" to this at the moment, but remember its pointless buying a screen today which you may need to replace in a few years when Full HD (1080p) is standard to get the benefit of this amazing picture quality.

This is why the latest 40" + LCD's are all coming with Full HD (1080p) res as standard to prepare for the takeover of Full HD. Don't think a "Goodmans" will be available in Full HD for a while yet?

Advertisement