Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O2: connect to internet

• 12-10-2007 1:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm using a WM6 phone and have been connecting to the net off and on with it over the last few months. Just discovered this week that I can't. Thought at first it was just a network thing, message just says "cannot connect due to unknown error" so just left it.

I'm just using APN = internet and no username/password. Doesn't work within Edge or GPRS area.

Does anyone know if O2 have changed settings just recently or changed plans or done anything really that might have left my phone unable to access the Internet?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Try data support on 1850601740, they've usually on the ball and will have you up and running quick enough.

Try "gprs" as both username and password and see if that makes a difference. Also try the SIM in another phone and see if you can connect to GPRS there aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

ciaranfo wrote: »
    Try data support on 1850601740, they've usually on the ball and will have you up and running quick enough.

Try "gprs" as both username and password and see if that makes a difference. Also try the SIM in another phone and see if you can connect to GPRS there aswell.

Thanks. I tried the 'gprs' combination but never thought of just trying the sim in another phone to see if there was an issue there. I'll do that, then contact support number - I was a bit unsure of connecting support given I'm using my own 'sim-free' phone that is not on their list of "approved phones" (though I know as a WM6 phone that shouldn't really matter).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭HiredGun

art wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know if O2 have changed settings just recently or changed plans or done anything really that might have left my phone unable to access the Internet?

Thanks

I have had similar problems. The O2 IE Internet setting on my E65 became very flaky and when roaming it stopped working altogether. I now use the O2 WAP GPRS settings and it works flawlessly again.

I talked to their data support people and they told me that O2 has just switched from whatever old equipment they had for data access to new Ericsson equipment. So the bits of the network that supply the IP data stream have changed. I guess that that may have caused that problem.

Just an update on this, in case it re-occurs to anyone.

I put my sim in another phone (Se K800) and could not connect there either, put someone else's sim in my phone and it connected for them fine.

Got in touch with o2 support who were very helpful but couldn't seem to get their head around the issue. Kept getting me to reset the settings on my phone even though it did work for a different sim.

Then after o2 support had given up with the excuse that the WM6 pone I had was un-supported" (which to be fair, it is a phone I got abroad so isn't on o2s list and they did spend about 35mins trying to sort me out so I've no real complaint with o2 support) I then went back to the SE K800, put my sim and tried again. Still couldn't connect there but this time I got the settings re-sent to that phone just to be sure to be sure. And I connected!

Then went straight back to my regular phone and without changing or doing anything, I was able to connect on that one too! Weird, eh? Everything is suddenly fine again as if just making one successful connection freed the other somehow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭billbond4

You should use the wap.dol.ie as the APN

• Advertisement

billbond4 wrote: »
    You should use the wap.dol.ie as the APN

why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭billbond4

Because I had the same issue as you had about accessing the internet using the "internet" APN, when I changed it to "wap.dol.ie" it works fine.

I think it has something to do with o2 broadband, as it uses "open.internet" as its APN ("internet" is the same APN), I didnt have problems until the o2 broadband became available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭HiredGun

As I said, I had similar problems. I re-installed my settings a few times without any success. It solved itself automagically as well. For me the open.internet APN gave me problems and I now use the WAP.GPRS APN. I am not using a WM6 phone but a Nokia E65. Still wondering what was wrong.

The thing about the settings though is that I could put in other sims cards into my phone and, with settings unchanged, connect to the net. That's why I can't see how it could be a settings issue but more likely something on my account or sim card itself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

art wrote: »
    The thing about the settings though is that I could put in other sims cards into my phone and, with settings unchanged, connect to the net. That's why I can't see how it could be a settings issue but more likely something on my account or sim card itself?

there's definitely nothing wrong with your phone if another sim works in it. get them to remove the provisioning for the internet and add it again. if that doesn't work, get a replacement sim

• Advertisement
Advertisement