Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broad band and Sky + Conflict

Options
  • 12-10-2007 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

My head is wrecked from eircom support. Been stuck in an infinite loop for 5 days now.

Basically. I have a router in my house/attic and the DSL sync keeps flashing.
    I have Eircom Broadband with 2 or 3 years and connect to a desktop using wireless.

Got sky + 2 months ago and last week broadband went down. Eircom reckon theres a conflicxt between the 2. Fair enough, though why it took 2 months to happen is beyond me.

Disconnected the phone line from sky and reset the modem using a pin.
    This gave me broadband for an hour and it packed up again.

Repeated the same process the following day
    DSL sync light is still blinking. No BB even though Sky + is without a phone connection

any ideas how to set up sky to not conflict with BB, as it seems to be a keemnly guarded secret as to how you get a f&*king engineer out to sort it.

Next steps is to connect the router to other phone points to see if it'll work with them. Pretty sure it won't.

Reckon the router or the exchange is screwed at this stage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭XDA

If you've unplugged the Sky + then that is no longer an issue, so a conflict with Sky plus is not your problem.

The first thing to do is, as you suggested, try the router on another phone point in the house, then if that doesn't work try another router (maybe borrow one for an hour from anyone else who has broadband.

If that still doesn't work then the likelihood is that there's a problem with your phone line.

XDA

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Is there a filter on the phone line attached to the Sky+ box?

Oh, and make and model of router?

As you remarked, if it worked for a few weeks, it might be a line fault, but try the router on a different socket to rule out internal wiring. Stick the router on the main socket into the house for a while and see.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Did the sky installers put in an additional extension at the time by any chance?
    when I got sky plus some years ago they made an awful bags of putting in a phone extension.

Anyways try your modem in another phone point and check your line stats it is possible that something has happened externally and they have deteriorated.

You havent increased your speed recently by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SneakyRob

If the Sky + is disconnected, then its not the sky.

A standard Phone Filter should fix any problems anyway.

Plug the Modem directly with no filters into the Main Phone Point in the house, If it still has no DSL Sync, Call Eircom.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

SneakyRob wrote: »
    If the Sky + is disconnected, then its not the sky.

A standard Phone Filter should fix any problems anyway.

Plug the Modem directly with no filters into the Main Phone Point in the house, If it still has no DSL Sync, Call Eircom.

Fully agree,
    If it doesn't sync at your main socket then its either your modem or a line fault, either way its eircoms issue and nothing to do with Sky

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you checked your line stats?

Advertisement