Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RATS lots of Rats

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Get cat(s), just don't feed them too well and they will get interested in the rats! I think female cats are best, the males can be lazy - particularly afte the snip.... can't blame them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

dodgyme wrote: »
    They are everywhere this autumn.

WE need more owls.

We need more hygiene, it's that simple. Rats hate hygiene and so it would increasingly seem humans also.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It isn't quite as simple as that I'm afraid.

While improvements in hygiene may help contain the number of rats in an urban setting - it just isn't possible in the countryside where their main habitats are hedgerows, ditches, undergrowth & little-used out houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

This isn't an MRSA type problem, hand washing and hygiene isn't the answer, rats have been around forever, longer than humans anyway, they are opportunistic and we give them lots of opportunities; poultry keeping and bird feeding in my case.

I personally don't mind them, truly, but they do carry diseases and realistically I have to get rid of them but its still a shame we can't all co-exist but such is life, or death if my rat trap works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

get a piece of fat bacon, stick it in an open fire until its well roasted, tie in to the trap, dispose of rat and bacon use milton or similar to remove the smell of death, rinse well, repeat action, if using rat bait, use the blue squares, secure them, rats have to gnaw to keep the teeth paired, when secured they have to eat them, otherwise they will stockpile, if they are still active after 10 days use another form of bait, as they can become immune to it, years ago i had a mouse infestation in my canery shed, i could not keep the bait down, my vet could not believe it, the buggers were huge, shine a light at night and they were squirming in an out thro the cage fronts, he gave me a script for something from the chemist cannot think what, that solved the sobs, they cost dear, lost some prized stock before the vet interviened

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

the best defence against rats are ferrets____ any ferreter will tell you this also i heard the story of the canibal rat but the sent off the animal would be the same as any other rat and there4 no use.. but it great to hear about barn owls, i live near marley park and i seen only 5-6 sightings in the last 15 years or so.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    It isn't quite as simple as that I'm afraid.

While improvements in hygiene may help contain the number of rats in an urban setting - it just isn't possible in the countryside where their main habitats are hedgerows, ditches, undergrowth & little-used out houses.

What can't be clean in the countryside, I mean how Hillie Billie an attitude is that ?

What can't be clean in the countryside
    You stated earlier that more "hygiene" was needed to combat an infestation of rats. How do you propose making the countryside more hygienic in such a way as to limit the burgeoning rat population? If you mean keeping the countryside litter-free rather than dousing every ditch with Jeyes Fluid, I agree.

I mean how Hillie Billie an attitude is that ?
    Sonnenblumen - There's also no need for you to start making personal comments about what you may perceive my "attitude" to be. Keep it on-topic.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    You stated earlier that more "hygiene" was needed to combat an infestation of rats. How do you propose making the countryside more hygienic in such a way as to limit the burgeoning rat population? If you mean keeping the countryside litter-free rather than dousing every ditch with Jeyes Fluid, I agree.

Sonnenblumen - There's also no need for you to start making personal comments about what you may perceive my "attitude" to be. Keep it on-topic.

Yeah, lets keep it on topic and tackle the root cause of rat infestations (urban and rural). Yes clean up the environment and eradicate Hillie Billie litter louters, ie Private, Commercial, Industrial and farming. Cities also have to contend with Hillie Billie offenders, but we've got to start somewhere.

Rats are 'naturally occuring rodents but numbers increase due to Hillie Billies'.

'Hillie Billies' are also rodent like attitudes and like rats neither would not be found in most clean places.

old boy wrote: »
    get a piece of fat bacon, stick it in an open fire until its well roasted, tie in to the trap

Great advice, although I used the good old frying pan rather than the fire. I hadn't tied the food to the trap and the buggers kept eating it without setting the trap off, not now !! I used the tiny bit of thin metal that runs inside the plastic bag ties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

another tip, get a pet fox, the average fox ? is presumed to eat up to 20 rats per day

Unfortunately foxes eat ducks and hens too :( so maybe not such a good idea. Plus they stink apparently, someone I know reared a cub, stunk to high heaven

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

You don't have to rear one in captivity to have foxes! I'm told they are smelly, never tried that. There are plenty of foxes around these days. Lots in Dublin suburbs and if you put food out at night they will soon find it! They eat mice and rats, and worms, and chicken, even the McNugget kind. They like fruit and sweet things too. I think it's amazing to know that a secret, wild world is living on, parallel to the technical 21st century existence that most people know...it gives me hope and energy.
    Here's the link for an interesting blog of a committed foxwatcher in Dublin. http://foxwife.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Chevy RV

fantasma wrote: »
    I have heard the best way to get rid of rats is to catch a big one and place him in a box with a secure lid. Wait for a week and then put another rat into the box. The first rat will then eat that rat through sheer hunger. Repeat this process with two to three more rats over a monthly period with the original rat and then relase him into the wild. God help all other rats within radius....any thoughts???This method has ben used by farmers in the past with good results.

Are there any other suggestions that may clear a large infestation in a farmyard which has a slurry pit / dungstead beside it ?

Chevy RV

Unfortunately the rats seem to have got wary of the metal spring trap despite my wearing gloves to mask my scent. Have been using poison as a last resort, putting it down in a tray under the shed when the chickens have gone to bed and removing it next morning. Seems to be going down remarkably well so hopefully the rats will be dead soon.

I did toy with the idea of "humane" trap, they are for sale in our local Co-op shop. Then drown them in the spare water butt. I could do it quite easily even though I am a wildlife lover, but my better half is a bit squeamish. They are vermin after all so these things have to be done. Catch them, drop the trap in the water and walk away for 5 mins, all over quickly enough.

As long as the poison is working I won't have to resort to it hopefully. Just have to keep an eye out for dead/dying ones and dispatch if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Chevy RV

I have noticed smallish nibblings at POTATOES in a shed which is clean and where we store some veg on a table ?

What is the likely culprit here ?

Thanks for your help.

Chevy RV

Chevy RV wrote: »
    smallish nibblings
    Probably mice.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

The safest way to use poison is to wire it into the middle of a 3 foot length of 4 or 5 inch diameter tube or else buy a proper bait station that pets or loved ones can't get into. I'd also cover it with rocks or push it right under the shed so that nothing that isn't crawling can get to it.

This way it should be fairly safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Jackus

Yeah, people in this country just love rats. They feed them messin and throwin waastes ewerywhere. black bags with rubbish are everywhere. I live in Blanch and I know what I am saying. It is up to us - people! I always keep clean my house and garden. Last year we had huge 4 rats in backgarden. After my sudden action there is was only one survivor who just disappeard.
    Simply - i went to Atlantic Homecare, bought the simples rat-trap for e2,50. As a bite I used piece of ham.
    The first victim was catched after 30mins, second after two hours, third on the next evening... It was more than half of year ago. Since that time i didn't see any rat or even mouse in my garden.
    Remember about plague and close your bin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Interesting reading this thread as we currently have a problem in our attic, scratching noises etc.. Have brought in a well known pest control company who have placed about 8 bate points in attic, all hae been eaten and recently we had blue bottles but they can't locate anything dead in attic,though they tend not to look under insulation. We also initially placed a couple of bate points outside, one touched the other was not.

Had the guy up the other day, about 7th visit from them,decided to look in garage,found a dead baby rat, and also a nest. Having been using garage as storage so pretty full with junk which probably has not helped,shed area the same, so will have a big clear out. Very large garden, trees close to house etc. Still do not know how they are getting in the attic? appears to be no natural light in attic. Could they be getting in under the house?

I think I'm always going to have problems outside, live right beside Phoenix pk, but desperate to stop them getting into the attic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

^ Rats are like gymnasts, they will climb up drains, roofs etc and get into the attick under slates or roof felt if there are any tears in same. So trying to keep them out is a bit of a lost cause. Best to focus your efforts on getting rid of them as quickly as possible. They bred at an alarming rate, can't remember the kind of numbers but it is somewhat scary.

The best thing I have found is just to put a few of those blue blocks in several locations in the attick. Places where they run along. That usually sorts things out. As many feeds as required until they are left untouched after a few nights. That sorts things out for a while. Bloody expensive though.

I hear them from time to time on the very cold frosty nights, racing up and down - it's like the olympics. Then I know its time to put down bait again. Roll on the spring and summer is all I can say.

In the process of getting some roof work done, ridge tiles have come loose and also about to get gutters done, so when they are being taken down, will have a look, suppose I am going to try and proof the house as much as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭KIVES

Chevy RV wrote: »
    I have noticed smallish nibblings at POTATOES in a shed which is clean and where we store some veg on a table ?

What is the likely culprit here ?

Thanks for your help.

Chevy RV

Are you absolutely sure your wife isn't on one of those quick fix diets...? The poor mice are always the first to get the threatening finger pointed at them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gillyfromlyre

One cold foggy night a few years ago I got the fright of my life as I was reaching for the sponge while having a lovely bath,I grabbed a huge fecking rat instead,it bit me too,so not only did I have to jump out of the lovely bath but I also had to go to the doctors for an injection.The hubby beat the rat into a splotch with a hammer thank god

My rat problem appears to be getting better, however have been advised to clear out my garage, you can hardly move inside,we found a dead rat just inside the door, and what appears like a nest on the floor,no sign of anything. I have a pile of junk in garage so going to get a skip and have a big clear out. My question is as it appears their has been activity in the garage, is it safe to clean it out myself, if their has been rats in there or is there a risk of catching something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

OPENROAD wrote: »
    My rat problem appears to be getting better, however have been advised to clear out my garage, you can hardly move inside,we found a dead rat just inside the door, and what appears like a nest on the floor,no sign of anything. I have a pile of junk in garage so going to get a skip and have a big clear out. My question is as it appears their has been activity in the garage, is it safe to clean it out myself, if their has been rats in there or is there a risk of catching something.

There is a possibililty of catching Leptospirosis which can lead to Weil's disease from rat urine, but if the garage is dry the risk is very small. Better to wear rubber gloves and wash your hands well afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

The best way to get rid of rats is-
    catch one,
    paint it white,
    release it back in to the rats nest,
    the other rats will think it's a ghost and run away!!!!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

kerash wrote: »
    catch one,
    paint it white,

Thanks kerash that contribution really maintains the quality of the boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 googs

kerash wrote: »
    catch one,
    paint it white,

lollers !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 googs

i've a rat prob out the back of my house due to feeding the birds and stuff... i've tried poison in the past.... the problem is ya don't see if it's doing any good or not... cause when a rat gets it it usually heads for the nearest water source... which could be the water tank in the attic of your house !.. rat traps can work if done right.... best way to use a rat trap is to leave food on the food holder thingy and don't leave it set... the rat will loose some of it's caution and then after a few days set the trap for real .... they are cleaver f$#@ers and have watched them approaching traps out the back of my house.... so due to the fact we have various owls and stuff around the area i resorted to buying a barnett diablo sling shot.... used to have one a few years ago.... got's two so far... quite painless and rat dies instantly... anytime i see one out the back on the patio i get take a pot shot of them out the back window lol... but the only thing now is they don't seem to be around anymore :mad: ... ah well
    rats 0 googs 2 :D

Advertisement