Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep Of Ireland -v- Germany

• 12-10-2007 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Discuss...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

We'll probably win which will make results earlier in the group even more depressing :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

any word on the team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Germany will beat us by at least two goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Ireland 1 Germany 0

(That's my guess for the number of sackings after the game.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Ibid wrote: »
    Ireland 1 Germany 0

(That's my guess for the number of sackings after the game.)
    :D

I reckon Ireland could get a pasting in this one.

Ireland 0 - 8 Germany

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Well, I've said it on another thread.... who really cares?
    To some (many who are now trying to get rid of tickets!), the rugby game is more important.
    If we had a decent chance to qualify, tickets would still be hot property. To me, I'll go whether we have a chance to qualify, or if we're already out. The type of fan who is willing to sell his tickets (he probably got them free in work) because it's not an 'important' game any more is better off not there IMO.

Ok - back to the game.
    Really looking forward to this. Obviously a shame our chance of qualification is very slim, but I'm expecting something good from this game. I know it's a cliche, but there's a lot to the proved tomorrow... shame it couldn't be proved over the past few matches!! Or maybe we've just proved we're not good enough yet?
    Atmosphere should be brilliant (evening in Croker, and weather looks good). I'm expecting the fans to really lift the squad. We really can't let zee Germans overwhelm us from the off. Need to retain the ball as much as possible.
    I know I'll be laughed, but I honestly think we can win tomorrow. That said, I know we can get a 'pasting' too :D We're just that sort of team! I really feel a big performance tomorrow. 2-1 Ireland... Germans to score first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

Ill go for a dull 0-0 draw, both teams happy with a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'm working in the FAI and shels have some tickets left for this game if anybody is looking. 01 837 5754

RasTa wrote: »
    I'm working in the FAI and shels have some tickets left for this game if anybody is looking. 01 837 5754

http://shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=758 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

One of two things will happen imo, we'll get a serious beating, or else we'll win with a performance full of heart and skill.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote: »
    One of two things will happen imo, we'll get a serious beating, or else we'll win with a performance full of heart and skill.
    ...or it'll be a draw.

Yes, we'll win, lose, or it'll be a draw.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I predict 2-1 Ireland.
    Robbie Keane to get a brace - the first from the peno spot after Lehmann shoves him to the ground at a corner for having the temerity to stand within 5 feet of him.

Should be a great atmosphere. Hopefully, the fans will rise to the occasion because we'll have to with 8,000 buoyant german fans present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Great, now in order to prove you wrong, I'm going to have to somehow get the game called off :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Can't wait for this now, tis gonna be a great occassion :) only because I am going that is :P

PHB wrote: »
    Great, now in order to prove you wrong, I'm going to have to somehow get the game called off :)

Find out where the German team are staying and deliver keg and kegs of booze to help them celebrate Oktoberfest!

They'll be so wasted, they're either have to call it off.... or we may just beat them by a goal :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I think France will beat England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

Can't see Ireland winning. Germany will score so maybe we'll sneak a 1-1 draw if we play well but i can see it being 2-0 maybe 3-0 to Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Find out where the German team are staying and deliver keg and kegs of booze to help them celebrate Oktoberfest!

They'll be so wasted, they're either have to call it off.... or we may just beat them by a goal :D

You do know Oktoberfest is actually in September! ;)

I'm quietly optimistic that we can win this. Germany's strikers are cack at the moment and I can see us sneaking it 2-1. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Isnt Oktoberfest is September

Anyway, i think this will be a good game and i think Ireland may win 2-1

An Citeog wrote: »
    You do know Oktoberfest is actually in September! ;)
    Killme00 wrote: »

The FAI are organising it this year...

A fine time to use the new multi-quote function!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

The FAI are organising it this year...

A fine time to use the new multi-quote function!! :D

They'll probably make a balls of that aswell and have it in March or sometime....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Killme00 wrote: »

Anyway, i think this will be a good game and i think Ireland may win 2-1

Half in September, half in October :-)

I'm going for an Irish win... For some reason I feel optimistic. The pressure is kind of off us at the moment as our likelihood of qualifying is gone.

Looking forward to going! Anyone else in the Canal End?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

We're badly struggling for players. If you thought McGeady was bad recently I dread to think what he'll be like in front of 70,000 Irish with his confidence so low. McShane is as important as Dunne for us. He's a big loss.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Going to see this tomorrow so I'm hoping for an entertaining game if nothing else. Presumeably it'll be a bore draw or a bore 0-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Just seeing that the game kicks off at 2.45am my time. God I'm gonna be so hammered watching it.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    We're badly struggling for players. If you thought McGeady was bad recently I dread to think what he'll be like in front of 70,000 Irish with his confidence so low. McShane is as important as Dunne for us. He's a big loss.

Right, please answer this.

What is this crap about McGeady's confidence?

I don't buy it one little bit.

Every time the guy has a bad game, you wheel out this excuse for him.

Away games? His confidence is down.

Home games? He can't perform in front of a large Irish crowd because he has low confidence.

I kind of admire you, in a way, he plays for the club you support, and you see him put in decent displays week-in week-out for them. But it's the SPL. Now, I reckon I'm going to get jumped all over for saying that, but I'm not actually having a go.

It's the Liam Miller syndrome, imo. Looks good in the SPL, has one or two decent displays at Parkhead for Celtic in the CL, and suddenly he's the 'next big thing'.

When, exactly, or how, exactly, is McGeady going to regain his famous confidence? Should Ireland play a few games behind closed doors? Oh no, then the excuse will be he's not used to a crowd. Play a home game? Oh no, then the Irish crowd will be on his back. Play a couple of away games, oh no, confidence again, for some reason. Home friendly? Oh no, there's that large Irish crowd, full of expectation again.

What about an away friendly against an obviously disinterested side. Ah yes, play him against a team who don't care, then he'll shine, maybe get his confidence back.

What about after that? Ah no, his confidence is gone again.

Confidence, schmonfidence. He's put in too many below par displays for Ireland in important games, he's just not up to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Going by our previous performances nothing but a Germany win for me.

:(

DesF wrote: »
    Right, please answer this.

What is this crap about McGeady's confidence?

I don't buy it one little bit.

Every time the guy has a bad game, you wheel out this excuse for him.
    You don't understand how frustrating it is reading this post. :) It really angers me. I am as sure as anything in the world McGeady's problems are 100% confidence. The most annoying this is how people can't see that. I can spot a player low in confidence as easy as anything. Do I have some special gift? I doubt it.

Maybe you have to suffer from confidence yourself to understand what McGeady is going through and what someone like Kevin Kilbane went through for most of his career. Kilbane's a player of limited ability but he struggled badly with confidence before Kerr took over. I personally can't play the likes of football or snooker because my confidence affects me so much. It doesn't affect me with tennis though for some reason. :) For snooker I can't concentrate when my confidence goes. The easier the shot, the more chance of missing. For football I can't do anything right and don't want the ball. A few drinks in me though and I'm 10 times better. McGeady surely can't be as badly affected as I am but he's certainly one of the worst affected players I know of.

I've seen McGeady have poor games and confidence can't be used as an excuse. He was terrible in the Scottish cup final against Dunfermline but he wasn't lacking confidence then. I don't know what it is but I can easily tell when he's low in confidence. I think I should be a psychologist.

I'd have loved to have the video camera to record a McGeady run against Slovakia at Croker. Duff had the ball on the break. McGeady's to his right in all the space in the world. I can't remember clearly but there was probably 2 defenders in front of Duff and McGeady. If this was a player high in confidence he'd be waving for the ball. McGeady's on the edge of the Slovak box and it's clear he doesn't want the ball. Duff gives it to him, McGeady's legs go to jelly and he runs the ball out of play. He can't play a basic pass with his confidence this low. The tension makes him underhit the ball often.

I'm not making excuses for McGeady. I'm telling it as it is and I'm absolutely positive I'm right. He's not the greatest player in the world, he'll never be anywhere near as good as Duffer at his best. But he's certainly good enough to destroy that makeshift defence of Germany. He won't because he can't handle the pressure. Maybe one day he'll gain the confidence with Ireland that he has with Celtic mostly these days. It won't be for a long time to come though and I'd probably prefer if he decided to play for Scotland. I can't help but get upset with McGeady's performances because he's not doing himself justice which in turn isn't doing Celtic justice.

btw and going a little off topic. If Ken Doherty didn't suffer from confidence problems at the snooker table he'd be the best player in the world imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Germany 3 - 0 Ireland
    Maybe one flukey goal towards the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

tbh Eirebhoy, if he is that lacking in confidence, he shouldnt even nearly be featuring in any international squads, let alone playing crucial games. the physcological part of the game is as important as any other part, and if he is genuinely as weak in that area as you seem to think he is, we should just forget about him.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    tbh Eirebhoy, if he is that lacking in confidence, he shouldnt even nearly be featuring in any international squads, let alone playing crucial games. the physcological part of the game is as important as any other part, and if he is genuinely as weak in that area as you seem to think he is, we should just forget about him.
    I agree 100%. I wouldn't play him against Germany because he can't handle the pressure. He knows the majority of fans don't think he's good enough. It can't be a nice feeling to have loads of people groan, scream and shout for losing possession. All I've experienced is the feeling of my teammates thinking I'm worthless but when it's 70,000 people we can't even imagine what it's like. As plenty of footballers say, you just want the ground to eat you up. That's how McGeady will be feeling before he even touches the ball.

Some people are lucky. Confidence doesn't seem to bother Andy Reid in the slightest.

I really hope McGeady proves me wrong tomorrow night. Unless he has the fortune of a goal laid on a plate for him in the first 10 minutes of the game I can't see it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

My personal view of McGeady is that he is a handy player and is tricky on his day but lacks the pace that will make him a cut above player.

Remember him playing in Tolka in an U-21 game and for all his stepovers etc. he did **** all and then on came Roy O'Donovan instead of him and immediately made an impact with his pace.

A mixture of the 2 would be a great player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Maybe it is a confidence thing with McGeady? does it matter ? He's has been nothing short of rubbish any time he's played for Ireland, the question is why is he still being picked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

McGeady is one of the few Irish players who can cut it in the Champions League. To dismiss him completely from the Irish squad is moronic.

I'd like to see him thrown on at the 60th minute or so when his dribbling skills and pace can be used to best effect against the Germans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

I believe the Germans will get to a lucky 2:1 win in a pretty boring and poor match. The Germans only need a point and they are missing some influential quality players (Ballack, Schneider, Klose, Lahm to name onlye a few).

• Advertisement

DubDani wrote: »
    The Germans only need a point and they are missing some influential quality players (Ballack, Schneider, Klose, Lahm to name onlye a few).

Ireland are missing some influential quality players aswell.

Er....we just don't have any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭raheny red

Germany will beat us by at least two goals.

Agreed. Germany (-1) 11/4 :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Basically I'm hoping that the Germans will hammer us today. Now before you all lay into me there is somelogic behind this.
    Basically our chances of qualifying are zilch. However the FAI are still insisting on keeping that Staunton experiment going.
    Surely a solid thumping in Croke Park would focus the FAI into realising that the experiment has failed and as a result find some sort of competant manager before the WC qualifiers.

Opinions people?

pithater1 wrote: »
    Basically I'm hoping that the Germans will hammer us today. Now before you all lay into me there is somelogic behind this.
    Basically our chances of qualifying are zilch. However the FAI are still insisting on keeping that Staunton experiment going.
    Surely a solid thumping in Croke Park would focus the FAI into realising that the experiment has failed and as a result find some sort of competant manager before the WC qualifiers.

Opinions people?

ZOMG!!11111!!one!11!ELEVEN!11!

Don't be so unpatriotic.

Now, seriously.

Fact is this.

FAIlure won't be sacking Stevie.

Stevie won't be walking away.

He's going to be Ireland manager for the WC Quals.

People need to start accepting that as a fact.

You have to remember the seedings too. The FIFA rankings can easily change and a win against Germany will do us the world of good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I thought the World Cup seedings have already been decided thus making these last games irrelevant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I dont think so. I think the draw for the world cup groups is made based on the seedings at That time, and not before. And it will be done using Fifa rankings, so a win against Germany will count for a lot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

they are decided already
    we are in pot 3.

You are right, got confused with their announcement few weeks ago with the pots

EDIT: meh dunno :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Seaneh wrote: »
    they are decided already
    we are in pot 3.

Not true...and we have an outside chance of making pot 2 if we win next 3 games.
    We are cuurently ranked 21 in europe and need to break into the top18.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54095088#post54095088

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

had a ticket not going as im disilusioned with the irish sporting teams and the games ive been to namely euro qualifers and irish rugby world cup.

Hopefully without me they will win and restore my low confidence like mcgeadys:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Germany will put us out of our misery tonight I'd expect.

It's been a very poor group and a real stroll for the Germans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Oh ye of little faith.
    Seriously, am I the only foolishly optimistic poster here?

I want Stan gone as much as the next person, but I'll be cheering on Ireland tonight and looking for a win.

In fact, I just put €10 on them to win at 33/1 and a 2-0 scoreline.
    "A fool and his money" or the "the smart investor going against the herd"?

We'll know soon enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

I know it is't gonna happen but I hear that there is still a (very, very, very, very - repeat untill board) small chance of qualification. obviously we need to win our last 2 games & the Chech's have to lose.

but the chech's are way ahead of us on GD, so how is it even considered possible?

There are 3 games each to play

We win 3, they lose 1, draw 2

About as likely as Staunton getting sacked this year

• Advertisement
Advertisement