Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

samhain / halloween parade?

Options
  • 12-10-2007 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭

Hi everyone, we're new on this board. Just wondering if anyone knows of a parade for Halloween around Co.Sligo or Co.Leitrim? We'd love to take our boy to one.....

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Hmm. Never heard of one...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭daveboy01

Might be worth checking with the Model Arts centre. I seem to remember my nephew being involved in a Halloween parade from there a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Castlebar used to have one but thats not much help. Did Tubbercurry have one? Trying to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Best way for kids to spend Halloween is having a party in a shed, and then wandering around a cemetry surrounded by big trees at midnight. That's what we used to do, and I turned out fine.....does anyone else hear those voices? They keep telling me to burn things.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

il gatto wrote: »
    does anyone else hear those voices? They keep telling me to burn things.:D

:o
    And I thought I was the only one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

I have never seen nor been to a halloween parade. Sounds class though.

Most places have their bonfire night on Halloween. Is Sligo the only place that has a seperate bonfire night?

Also I think I spelled bonfire wrong :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Bonfire Night is not just Sligo. It's St. John's Eve, the 23rd of June. It was a pagan festival celebrating the Summer Solstice which the church attempted to hijack and failed as it's still pretty pagan.
    I don't remember there being all that many bonfires at Halloween when I was a kid. Seems to be getting more popular. Along with turning the town into a warzone with fireworks for a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

may you all burn in hell you devil worshipers!! :mad: if deV was still around you would know all about it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

il gatto wrote: »
    I don't remember there being all that many bonfires at Halloween when I was a kid. Seems to be getting more popular. Along with turning the town into a warzone with fireworks for a week.

There used to be some in the 80's in the rural areas of sligo for sure. In Collooney anyway they used to compete with other local areas. You used to be able to see the bonfires in the distance. Them were the days before the light pollution of the bypass! MInd they were putting fierce things on them fires to keep them going!
    There also used to be bonfires discos in Screen and Dromard in ball alleys. (Was that not Halloween? Maybe they were Summer ones.) The teenagers would arrive in bus loads from all the hinterlands to slow dance to the like of "Zoom". The Sligo lads from town would then have a 'scuffle' with any of the locals and buses would then leave again for another year. Ah the nostalgia of it.
    But back on topic. I just rem I went to that parade last year that Magnumlady was talking about and it was really nice, lots of colour and went up O connell street AND everything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭folkswagen

Tubbercurry has had a fantastic parade the last two years - I have not heard plans for it this year but if you contact Sligo Leader or the Chamber of Commerce in Tubbercurry then they would probably know:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ze stef

Hello
    There is a parade on Saturday 27th in Sligo at 2pm, leaving Cranmore and going to o'Connell Street, it's part of the Sligo live.
    There is an Halloween parade in Tubercurry the same day at 6pm maybe 7pm...the last two year were great!
    See you there!

will put more details when i have them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

Great to hear that there will be a parade happening. We never had parades in Scotland for Halloween, so I loved seeing my first one last year in Manorhamilton. In Scotland we had fireworks and bonfires on November 5th for Guy Fawkes Night.
    I couldn't believe my first New Years Eve in Holland....When the New Year begins all you can hear are fireworks and they are LOUD! Everyone seems to try and get the biggest and loudest fireworks there are.
    But getting back to the here and now.....Thanks for the replies!

See you at the parade!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Transport21 Fan

Tubbercurry is planning an even bigger one this year. Not sure of the date, but I think it's the bankholiday monday this year?

Some photos of last year's event:

http://celticcrossarts.com/samhain/samhain.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

tuppence wrote: »
    There also used to be bonfires discos in Screen and Dromard in ball alleys. (Was that not Halloween? Maybe they were Summer ones.) The teenagers would arrive in bus loads from all the hinterlands to slow dance to the like of "Zoom". The Sligo lads from town would then have a 'scuffle' with any of the locals and buses would then leave again for another year. Ah the nostalgia of it.

:)LOL:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ze stef

ze stef wrote: »
    Hello
    There is a parade on Saturday 27th in Sligo at 2pm, leaving Cranmore and going to o'Connell Street, it's part of the Sligo live.
    There is an Halloween parade in Tubercurry the same day at 6pm maybe 7pm...the last two year were great!
    See you there!

will put more details when i have them!!
    Oops...
    The parade in Tubercurry is actually on monday 29th!
    See you there at 6pm!
    Don't forget tomorrow in Sligo town! See you in town @ 2pm. We leave from Cranmore heading to O'connell street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

Thank you very much for pointing us in the right direction for the parades!

We went to both of them - Sligo and Tubbercurry. We loved them :D, it was great to see fireworks too. Our wee man was watching in wonder the whole time.

ze stef, were you in the parade yourself?

Edit by muffler:tulipandthistle, you post your reply in the existing thread (I have moved it here) No need to start a new thread about this.

Advertisement