Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Search - Pre-empting problems

Options
  • 12-10-2007 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to keep this short, because there's a big assumption here on my part which is liable to be wrong.

The search seems to rely on search IDs being generated each time a person does a search. I'm guessing that it compiles all of the results, gets a search ID and then dumps all of the results as rows (or a summary of same) into a table along with the search ID. The benefit here is obvious - people navigating within their searches aren't hammering on the live tables, instead pulling them from the search table with "SELECT * FROM search WHERE searchid = 123456".

If this is happening a lot, the search IDs get huge and with up to 500 rows per search, presumably that table gets huge. And lots of rows == slow queries.

Is there any kind of maintenance on this table, i.e. dumping its contents after 2 hours or archiving all searches over a day old?

I'm probably showing up my non-knowledge of vBulletin here, but it's something which occured to me.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

/me sues Seamus for his derogatory remarks and general wrongness

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I've certainly seen on other sites, and I think some were vB based, that the search id becomes invalid after a while.

Advertisement