Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Mini DV Camcorder?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

you might get a quicker answer in audio/video editing..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Indeed you would, this forum caters more for the still images.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 junior1

There are many types of mini dvd camcoder available in the market such as sony, canon, panasonic, Hitachi and sharp. according to me the best among them is Panasonic AG-HVX200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

junior1 wrote: »
    There are many types of mini dvd camcoder available in the market such as sony, canon, panasonic, Hitachi and sharp. according to me the best among them is Panasonic AG-HVX200.

Ha ha, i somehow don't think the OP wants to spend 4k on a camera... plus another few grand on p2 cards if they want to do HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

I got one of these a couple of months ago and I'm very happy with it. Mine is the 45E model (or something like that), the only difference is tha there's a docking station with mine.

You'll also have to get a firewire card for your PC. Around 30 for the card and 20 for the cable and should take 10 minutes to put it in your computer. The iLink thing that it mentions under the picture of the camcorder is sony's name for firewire/IEEE1394

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 loumac

I'm not familiar with the Samsung but if you can afford a Canon, they're optically superior to other brands. Sony for the digital technology thing and really user-friendly menu systems and minimal controls. If you are looking for something beyond a hobby camera, make sure you have at least a 3CCD chip for quality and editing etc. I'm sure there are more up-to-date chips but I've not been checking these of late. Whatever you do, have a go before you just order online. Some zoom functions can be really sensitive, even on good cameras; not to mention badly designed control panels with awful menu browsers. Whatever you decide, make sure the camera feels comfortable in your hand. It's like buying a backpack, very personal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

I bought this Samsung Mini DV this week. Haven't used it yet just messed around with the menu. So far I really like it. Its nice and compact, nice design. It has a USB & IEEE 1394 connections. Also comes with remote control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I'd recommend the Sony one. I've one for 3 years now, the DCR HC40E. It's given me no trouble, and it has a nice build quality and has touch screen features.

I've seen some of the other brands and found them quite cheap feeling.

BTW ignore the Digital Zoom spec, and only be influenced by the Optical Zoom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Thanks guys! I was looking at the Panasonic 3CCD here http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=330618 and saw a demo of it, there didn't seem to be a whole lot of difference between the RGB on a 1CCD and the 3CCD. The optical sensor size on the Panasonic is 1/6" I'd rather a 1/3" for low light conditions, you can't have it all I suppose.

Advertisement