Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1600 Euro budget? Dell Vostro still the best bet for desktop replacement laptop?

• 12-10-2007 3:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Going to be biting the bullet this week and ordering a new laptop. Looking for a desktop replacement that can play games and with the budget i have, i assume the 8600gt gfx card is the best going.

Just wondering, does anyone know of any other laptops that can rival the vostro 1700 at the moment? I have a budget of 1600 euro to spend but the vostro 1700 seems to be the best bet...AlmightyCushion helped me out big time last time and actually told me about the Vostro range and it still seems to be the best going at the moment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You can get better gaming laptops with the 8700GT, in and around that price range, and you can get even better cards then that but you'd be creeping closer to 2k. But the 8600GT is the best you will get in the Vostros.

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Asus_G1S_Gaming_Laptop_G1S-AK005C/version.asp

Take a look at that for example - on the surface, yes its much more expensive then the Vostros and still only has an 8600GT. But, it comes with free carry case and mouse etc, and most importantly, the 8600GT is DDR3 compared to the Vostros 8600GT's DDR2 - which can translate anywhere from a 10-70% difference in performance depending on the game. Particularly in newer games it'll show up.

It really isn't terrible for the price - you have bluetooth, camera, carry case, mouse, etc, plus the ddr3 is a huge factor for games. If you upgraded the Vostros to the max with the same specs - camera, bluetooth, 2.2Ghz processor, etc, you'd still save but not a massive amount.

On the other hand, you can get a 1500 or 1700 with the 8600GT, 2Gb of Ram and 2Ghz processor for about 950-1050k - which would leave you a large chunk of money left over to do whatever the hell you wanted. Or, for piece of mind, take out full accidental cover insurance with dell, and still have 100 or 200 quid left. It's good peace of mind. :)

What sort of games do you play? Check out here for my 8600Gt screenshot thread. You can use it to judge whether how it runs is good enough for you. Most games I play are FPS, typically the most demanding type of game by far. If you're more of a Pro Evo/Fifa player or whatever, then the 8600GT in the vostros would cut through those games easily, the asus ddr3 model for example would mainly benefit the latest demanding games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey Havok,

I was looking at that exact computer you picked out before but I think I will need a 17" screen on the laptop I go for. I was looking at the thread you had and it looks awesome I have to say...I mean I am a pro evo player, and I also play occasional strategy and would also probably pick up any good FPS on the laptop which are not out on the 360. I'm not that big a gamer but would like the option anyway.

Didn't notice the Vostros had the DDR2...thought the 8600GT was just the same card on all! Is there that big a difference between a 17" and a 15"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

cheesy,

im selling my xps m1710 over on adverts if your interested. much better than the vostron, has a 7900gs, ddr3. 256 megs. you know the drill with the xps

i am moving to japan, you can pm if interested.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

legs11 wrote: »
    cheesy,

im selling my xps m1710 over on adverts if your interested. much better than the vostron, has a 7900gs, ddr3. 256 megs. you know the drill with the xps

i am moving to japan, you can pm if interested.

I just checked out the advert. €1000 for that spec. Are you serious? That's over-priced. OP stay away. I think you should go for a 7900 card. I have a 7900gs myself and it's great.

Hey AlmightCushion, where would I get a laptop that sells the 7900 too? Can't seem to find many. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

cheesedude wrote: »
    Hey AlmightCushion, where would I get a laptop that sells the 7900 too? Can't seem to find many. Cheers

That's the problem. Dell do them on the xps and inspiron range. You might want to try laptopsdirect.ie or elara.ie. Also check adverts if you are willing to go for a second hand one except ignore legs11 advert.

lol will do...he's a chancer.

Will have a look, nice one...

almightycushion is your head up your a$$ that much i mean what is your problem,

i couldnt help but laugh at you post.

" 1000e for that spec, you serious.....

i got a 7900gs and its great"

my xps has a 7900gs... (and yes its great)

i dont mind criticism, but when its this bad.......

so i think you do not know much about what you actually say. and 1000e for a genuine m1710 is a good deal. great i might say, and no. im not a chancer at all. i am just a bit more knowledagable it seems on computers than alot of folk on here.

Yes it has a 7900gs, I never said it didn't but that doesn't mean the thing is worth a grand. The processor is underwhelming and it only has an 80G hard drive.

i think you are a bit confused but i will leave it at that. the op wanted a desktop replacement laptop. if a m1710 is not one, then i am all at sea.

even the way is it is would still eat a vostron for breakfast. and you can easily put on a bigger drive for peanuts as im sure you know.

and you can put on a new processor if you wanted, you cannot upgrade a vostron like you can with a xps. but you might not know that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

legs11, I have warned you before about your carry on in this forum. I have also let your blatant advertising above go, I will not put up with you insulting anyone. Unlike you, Almighty Cushion actually contributes to this forum.

Consider this your final warning.

I contribute as well, if you look at posts i have made here, i was just correcting what ac was saying about my laptop which was totally unjust and also incorrect.

Cheesedude, I found this great laptop over on the dell outlet. It has a 7950gtx. This is a fantastic graphics card and the best you are going to find in a laptop until they bring out a mobile version of the 8800. Everything else is a really good spec. 2GBs of ram, 160GB hard drive and a t7400 processor. This is a fantastic processor. It's being sold for under €1400 excluding vat and delivery so it should still be within your budget. If you see this before it gets sold buy it, it is fantastic value for money.

For more info about the dell outlet store, you can read this page.

legs11 wrote: »
    I contribute as well, if you look at posts i have made here, i was just correcting what ac was saying about my laptop which was totally unjust and also incorrect.

You didn't correct a thing. When spending this amount of money, a core 2 duo is the only processor to get. Why would he want to rip apart a laptop and put in a new processor when he can buy one that already has it? Also I never once suggested he gets a vostro, so why do you keep comparing yours to a vostro.

And for your information yes graphics card wise your laptop is better than a vostro, processor wise it isn't.

Hey almightycushion, thanks a lot for that....certainly looks like a quality bit of kit. That gfx card would last me for years since i'm not into top of the range games anyway...Now i need to wait until the 16'th cos that is when I can afford to get it! lol

It could be gone by then but if it is let me know and I'll see if I can find another one on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

cheesedude wrote: »
    Hey almightycushion, thanks a lot for that....certainly looks like a quality bit of kit. That gfx card would last me for years since i'm not into top of the range games anyway...Now i need to wait until the 16'th cos that is when I can afford to get it! lol

If you're not into playing the latest the games at the top spec then you're mad to spent that kind of money! An 8600GT can be got in a laptop for €800. Spend the rest on a nice big lcd to watch them on. The tv will last you 15 years, your laptop 3. You can well justify an upgrade to yourself then too:D

I'm very tempted by the XPS though at this stage...I'll have to make up my mind on Tuesday when I know I have the credit to purchase and I'll make my mind up in about two minutes...

One thing I need to know is, do I need more than the standard 1 year warranty on the hardware...? If i add the 3 year warranty, it's going out of my budget...

Will I be alright with the one year warranty?

You should be fine with the one year warranty, that's all I have on my laptop.

Hey Almightycushion whats up? I picked up that bad boy you were telling me about, I found out from Dell they don't charge the card until it is delivered so I could have picked one up last week...but if i did that last week, I would have bought the Vostro 1700 which would have cost me the same price as the one I just purchased! Thanks a lot for all your help, your a top man...

PS: I decided to stick with the standard one year warranty...

• Advertisement

No bother man, enjoy the new laptop.

Advertisement