Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car problem

Options
  • 12-10-2007 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

Maybe someone will have an idea whats happening with my car.
    When the revs reach around 2500rpm there is a quite loud rattle from the engine. When I reach around 2700 it disappears. Seems more prominent when the engine is hot. Its a 01 S40 1.8 petrol. It is a very "tinny" sound.
    The gf drives a 323F and is reporting the same problem in the last few days.

I do plan on bringing to a mechanic soon, just waiting for the next payday if it lasts that long.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Check for loose baffles in the exhaust system - bring it to an exhaust place and get it checked there - its funny sometimes how a rattle in an exhaust appears to emenate from the engine when driving. Or it might be a heatshield arounf the exhaust manifold.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sc4rf4ce

there is a possibility that it could be the camshaft in the engine itself acting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I'm with gyppo on the heatshield over the exhaust. These have a habit of corroding around the little bolts and forming a hole which allows them to rattle. You could fix it by undoing the bolt and fitting washers either side of the hole before refitting the bolt (or a longer one!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Thanks for the tips, I thought it sounded exhaust related. Im useless when it comes to cars so will get the father in law to take a look and see if I can save a few bob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I had something like this, it turned out to be a hole in the exhaust, it would resonate at about 2000rpm.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Id be 95% sure its the heatshield on the exhaust . It rattled on my 323f at exactly 2500rpm and stopped at 2700rpm aswell.

I just tore it off with a crow bar ... could also be one of the metal horseshoe type clips which holds the exhaust in palce that has loosened and is rattling

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Does your S40 have the Mitsubishi GDI engine? If the engine capacity on the tax disc is slightly over 1800cc then it is the GDI, which is notorious for coking up and causing all sorts of running problems usually involving a replacement/reconditioned cylinder head.

Advertisement