Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long to charge a new mobile phone?

Options
  • 12-10-2007 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭

Apologies if I've placed this in the wrong forum, please move if need be.

I've just got a new mobile phone and I have it charging. I've been told the first charge should be for at least 12 hours, but I've looked in the manual that accompanied the phone and could not find any information on this. Is it just an old wives tale?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Troublesome

i always charge mine during the day and leave it till the next morning when i get a new phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Thanks, Troublesome. I'll leave it as it is then!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

Oh and another top tip, after the first charge, let the phone go totally flat b4 the next charge, this can increase the life and length of battery life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Thanks for that, delop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Where do you get this information from delop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

ciaranfo wrote: »
    Where do you get this information from delop?
    I think I saw that in a Nokia manual before. It also said to let the battery run completely flat at least once every two weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

ethernet wrote: »
    I think I saw that in a Nokia manual before. It also said to let the battery run completely flat at least once every two weeks.
    I'd love to see this written somewhere officially from any of the manufacturers. Every second person has a different view on it and they can't be all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

ciaranfo wrote: »
    I'd love to see this written somewhere officially from any of the manufacturers. Every second person has a different view on it and they can't be all right.
    I agree. I wouldn't follow this religiously, however -- I expect Nokia to send me a replacement battery shortly as part of the latest battery recall. That should keep me going for another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

The logic behind it is that sometimes when you get a new battery and only charge it 50% say, it "thinks" that it can then only be charged to a max of 50%. It doesnt see the rest of the battery.

This was certainly true with some of the old batterys Im not sure if its the same with the new battery models.

I still charge all new phones up about 3-4 hours then, let them run down completly and charge again as normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

delop wrote: »
    Oh and another top tip, after the first charge, let the phone go totally flat b4 the next charge, this can increase the life and length of battery life

Nope. This was true of the old Nickel-Cadmium batteries, but not of modern Lithium ion ones. Modern phone (and laptop) batteries should be kept topped up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement