Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i have my dog put down ?

• 12-10-2007 5:06pm

In another discussion i told how my dog got cancer in her mouth. We brought her to a Vet early on and the Vet said all is fine its a little tumor and they dont have to do anything . Few months later it had spread and not trusting what that Vet told us we tried another Vet who said its too late to do anything, if we had have come to them when it was smaller they could operate.

Right now the tumor is all on the left side of my dogs mouth and it does look bad. The only thing is She is not in any pain that we can see, she still runs around playing . She has only a little bit of trouble eating she eats alot !! My family are pressuring on having her put down but i just cant see it yet.

I have worked in a Vet and i have seen dogs be put down for less. But as far as i can see , she is not crying she is not scratching at it . She is still having a full happy life.She doesnt seem to be in any pain, she loves to play. She still has control of her bowels Oh by the way she is a 14 year old Springer Spaniel.

I have worked in a Vet and i have seen dogs be put down for less and right now my trust in Vets has been shaken after what has happened. So i am afrade of asking their opinion.

What does anybody else think ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

As long as her quality of life is good and she's enjoying herself, I would hold on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

She is still having a full happy life.She doesnt seem to be in any pain, she loves to play. She still has control of her bowels Oh by the way she is a 14 year old Springer Spaniel.
    This for me is key. This is your companion, not a computer or a car. You don't just get rid of them when they're not 100%.

So long as the animal is happy and comfortable, I don't see any reason to put it down. The two main indicators for me with a dog are:
    1. Is the dog eating/drinking
    2. Is the dog moving about without problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

If she's not in pain then what's the problem? I would say get advice from the vet but if you've worked for one before I'm presuming you have enough knowledge yourself to know if the dog is happy then there's no need. What reason is your family giving for her to be put down?

The problem i am having is the rest of the family are pushing to have her put down. I am saying no and i am the only one who is saying that . I want to hold on i dont want to see her in pain but there is no sign of that .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I agree with all the above opinions. If the dog's quality of life is still good let her enjoy it (and you her) for as long as possible. Only when it was obvious that she was really suffering would I get her put to sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

As long as the dog can eat without a problem there's no need to kill it. In my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭alexdenby6

do they care about the dog, it seems you are the only one not thinking only about yourself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The problem i am having is the rest of the family are pushing to have her put down. I am saying no and i am the only one who is saying that . I want to hold on i dont want to see her in pain but there is no sign of that .

I see no reason to put her down, stick to your guns. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I see no reason to put her down, stick to your guns. :)

I agree.

Did you ask the family what the rush is to put her down ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Did the vet say it should be put down, or are your family the ones who are anxious to have it done?

Oral cancers can grow and spread very quickly in dogs if untreated (especially if they're melanomas...do you know specifically what sort of a tumour it is?). Secondary tumours in other organs can cause serious problems if the cancer spreads. So you'll have to consider that she should be put down eventually. She's had a long life...14 is old for a Springer. But as other posters have said, as long as the dog can eat and drink and carry out normal functions and isn't in any pain, there would be no reason to have her put down.

Ask the vet (the second one that you talked to) about her prognosis and how long she would have left to live. Try to explain to your family that she'll probably have to be put down eventually, but as long as her welfare isn't being compromised - according to the vet - there would be no reason to do so.

• Advertisement

The vet told us that eventually she will have to be put down and her mouth does look bad . She is not pawing at it though and it doesnt seem to be effecting her. one side is over grown but she eats with the other side . I tried to take a picture but she is hard to catch still . Thanks for this i have been showing this to the rest of my family.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Then I will refrain from giving my opinion of their opinion. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

You see the thing is, you know that the dog has cancer but she doesn't.
    You're worried and concerned but she isn't.
    She is blissfully ignorant of the situation.
    If she is not in pain let her lead as normal a life as possible, for as long as possible.
    Then have the courage to do what's right for her when the time does come.

My 2c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

alexdenby6 wrote: »
    ~insensitive comment deleted~
    I just did! Infraction notice issued. Check your PMs! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭alexdenby6

jeez take a joke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

alexdenby6 wrote: »
    jeez take a joke!
    Actually, in the circumstances no. Banned!

Advertisement