Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martial Arts clubs in Limerick?

Options
  • 12-10-2007 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I've been living in Limerick now for about a year, and finally managed to get a job where I have time to train

I'm from Galway, and am used to having an abundant amount of martial arts classes available to me (while long term I was most involved in Kung fu, Karate and Arnis/Escrima, I have also had the opportunity to try Aikido, Judo, Muay Thai, Capoeira and Tae Kwon Do)

But I'm finding it very difficult to find a club in Limerick that's outside of either UL or LIT - any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

I remember there being a training club down by the main entrace to the "Market" car park (near the yellow lemon - i think it's called) not sure if it's still there or not tho. Might be worth it to take a walk down there and have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I do classical fencing every wed in O'Connell Ave.
    http://www.skynet.ie/~nvl/lsa/

While not the type of martial art you described in your post
    it is still all the same a martial art and since you have tried quite
    a few of the others I thought I would mention something different.

Its not sports fencing which is mostly about
    scoreing points. Its learning the skills, methods and code of conduct
    that took place back in the 19th Century (and before) where gentlemen
    prepared for duels. I use foil, epee and rapier. Have been doing it for a few
    years but I am still utterly CRAP as I dont take to it naturally.

(Its not roleplay or acting ore re-enactment etc its learning how to use the weapons the same
    way they were used for real back in he day)

The same building we use on a wed night is used on a Saturday for Tae Kwon Do
    (The School of Project or project school oppisate bobby byrnes pub)

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭foams

Check out good training at the Combat sports center in Catherline, its 10 a minute drive from town but good training,MMA, BJJ, boxing ang kickboxing.
    Website http://www.geocities.com/aimaalimerick/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I think the Waza Kai jui-jitsu club is still operating near Bakers Place, it's pretty good for self-defence as well as for the sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Lazers pew pew

i'll fight ya

6 p.m
    arthurs quay park bud

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 desmondkenny

Thanks everyone

Bullets - I'll certainly check out the fencing, my sister just started a stage fencing class in New York and loves it, so I'll be along

Fhile - Where's Bakers place? (still getting to grips on Limerick, and I'd like to check that out too.

Pew-Pew - BRING IT!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Pankration Kickboxing (Kickboxing and MMA)
    Denmark Street

Waza Kai Jui Jitsu (MMA)
    (I'd personally recommend this one)
    Tait Square/Bakers place area

There's a few Martial Arts clubs in UL (Kickboxing, Brazilian Jui Jitsu, Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Aikido), free except for external membership

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

Just my 2c:

Stay away from pankration (near icon)

The Waza one already mentioned has a great rep - BJJ, MMA

Wouldnt recommend UL for kickboxing tbh, dont know ought bout any of their other clubs tho.

Limerick Kickboxing Academy is on Tues and Thurs near Donkey Fordes chipper and I would recommend that. (PM me if you want their phone no, names of instructor etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stevo11

http://www.candeiasireland.com/wp/?page_id=6#limerick

Same Capoeira group as in Galway (v.welcoming/social group!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 l_whitty

hey just wondering bout the fencing classes is it expensive, im training at the moment and just trying to get a price for classes or equipment

• Advertisement
Advertisement