Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traditional Latin Mass in Galway

Options
  • 12-10-2007 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Is anyone interested in the Latin Mass in the general Galway area. I know many young people regularly attend it and find it very spiritually enriching. It would be interesting to see the level of interest among young Catholics.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Is this purely saying the mass in latin .. or singing as well

(no I'm not that religious) did have the Pater Noster sung in latin at my wedding though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Don't suppose theres any catholic school girls in uniform in attendance?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Only if Allah the merciful wills it.

edit, or is that merciless? I can never remember.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Totus tous minumus canus Costacurta Baggio...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Baresi!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You dont know what you are dealing with here people - I've banned Traditio from the NW forum - serial spammer

Edit; I think they will disappear of the radar shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I love latin, there's something so calming about it, it's such a wonderfully rich language that sounds like posh english but isn't.

In nomine Patris, Filius et spiritus sancti
    Deo Nos Gracia
    Ora pro nobis deo
    Amen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Just last week a mass service was held in St Columbanus' for some dead feen and they wanted us to sing the choral service in Latin. It's still fairly regular among the older, but you'd be hard pressed to find one in Irish, let alone Latin. Check the board outside the Fransiscan if you're interested though, I think I remember reading something about something about ten years ago, if that's any help to those interested.

And the proper response to the psalm quoted by R0bbo is of course Salve Regina Mater miserie cordia Lamborghini reggio parmesi Mussolini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Traditio

Sometimes there is a Traditional Latin Mass in Renmore. Since September 14th, any priest can say the Traditional Latin Mass without the permission of a Bishop and anyone young or old can request the Latin Mass by asking their priest to say it. You don't have to go to the Bishop anymore.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Just to be clear, what you're asking about is the Tridentine Rite Mass - this is quite different from the Mass as we know it today in Latin.

Yes, any priest can say the TR one now without the bishop's permission. But a good many priests have been trained since it was phased out, and don't actually know how to do it. Even the ones who do should be asking about your motivations for wanting a rite in a language that you don't understand: it's fair enough for old people who grew up on it and knew it well, but for young people, there are serious questions about whether they can possibly be participating fully, actively and consciously.

All that said, check out the leaflets in the foyer of St Mary's at the Claddagh. You'll find some friends there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement