Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My cat's gone mad

Options
  • 12-10-2007 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I need advise. My 8 year old male neutered cat - named Mooch or Smooch depending on the mood - has never had a worry in his life. He has been charmed from the day he selected me to be his provider. Mohair blankets, food and service on tap, cuddles when he wants, space when he doesnt - I wish I had this cat's life! We live in the country and he has access to several acres of garden and forest. He's been house trained since 6 weeks of age. Our lifestyle hasnt changed in years. There are no changes, no new arrivals, no stresses, no visotors, nothing that could upset a cat. So why has he suddenly decided to urinate indoors, preferably over the strangest things. He jumped up on the kitchen counter and sprayed over our cutlery (yeah, we noticed in time). Indoor pot plants have been zapped. Suitcases are a favorite. A fresh pile of ironing was a recent hit. Yesterday my husband was sitting at the computer and got the back of his legs and the chair hit by a fine arc of warm wet ....

What's wrong and what can I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

That sucks.... 8 is not that old for cats but he is getting on in years, and i believe males do not live as long as females.
    Not sure what you can do if its old age... you can try sprying him back with water...

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

are you sure there isn't a newly arrive cat somewhere in the area that you don't know about but that your cat knows about?

do not be certain that this is a behavioural problem until after you have had a vet visit to ensure that is it's a symptom of a medical problem - it could well be something medical that only your vet can diagnose - my advice a quick trip to the vets first, if it's not medical have a look at feliway diffusers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Hmm... seems quite odd. Just a few questions that might maybe shed some light on the issue?:

1) have you changed brands of litter or has the litter brand changed (perhaps new / improved litter on the label?)

2) Has the frequency of the litter cleaning been changed?

3) Does he try to go into the litter box to do his business but does not?

4) Have you bought any new cleaning products?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Any stray cats hanging around outside?
    He could have detected their scent and is simply spraying inside to re-establish his territory.

Or you could accidentally have brought something into the house already marked with the scent of male cat, e.g. shoes, boots, golf equipment, etc., and he's just over-marking as a result?

If you've ruled out any kind of kidney or bladder problem (cystitis can result in them avoiding the litter box and using cold smooth places instead), it's more than likely a territorial thing.

I had a neutered male years ago with exactly those symptoms and he responded well to a homoeopathic remedy.
    So... if all else fails....
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

We have a female cat who is prone to weeing in very odd places too ... in the sugar bowl (through the little hole where the spoon goes!), in the toaster, in suitcases and open laptop cases on the floor and once in an electrical extension lead that caused the whole house's electricity to go off!

She is a very nervous and anxious cat, largely due to her sister hassling her constantly, and sometimes it just gets too much for her. She does suffer from cystitis regularly, usually when she's returned from the cattery and has been in close proximity to her sister for a long time.

I'd never made the connection between the two though. What was the homeopathic remedy you used ?

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    We have a female cat who is prone to weeing in very odd places too ... in the sugar bowl (through the little hole where the spoon goes!), in the toaster, in suitcases and open laptop cases on the floor and once in an electrical extension lead that caused the whole house's electricity to go off!

She is a very nervous and anxious cat, largely due to her sister hassling her constantly, and sometimes it just gets too much for her. She does suffer from cystitis regularly, usually when she's returned from the cattery and has been in close proximity to her sister for a long time.

I'd never made the connection between the two though. What was the homeopathic remedy you used ?

Staphysagria.
    I don't know if that was specifically for a male cat, but I know it worked almost immediately, like within 2 or 3 day and he literally stopped marking everything INSIDE the house, but continued to mark bushes and walls OUTSIDE.
    How much more specific do you need a remedy to be!!

Cystitis is more likely the cause if she's just doing little dribbles, and it seems they choose odd places because they associate the pain of urination with the litter box.

Cantharis is a remedy for cystitis, but as with all homoeopathic stuff, it's better if it's prescribed by a qualified homoeopathic vet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 madenuf

Hmm... seems quite odd. Just a few questions that might maybe shed some light on the issue?:

1) have you changed brands of litter or has the litter brand changed (perhaps new / improved litter on the label?)

2) Has the frequency of the litter cleaning been changed?

3) Does he try to go into the litter box to do his business but does not?

4) Have you bought any new cleaning products?

Thanks for replying. ACtually we dont use litter boxes as we have a huge garden and forest area. My thought was that something was scarying him but he's out there all the time and his disposition is that of a calm and happy cat.

I hadnt thought about cleaning agents but I cetainly havent changed brands.

This behaviour is intermittent - 2 to 3 times a week - and has been going on for about 3 months.

We do have the odd stray cat in the hedgerow but he tends to dispatch intruders with ease. I havent heard fights or seen any sign of injury.

Thank you all for the advice. Please keep it coming - much aprreciated. This furry dude is my main man!

Rancid wrote: »
    Staphysagria.
    I don't know if that was specifically for a male cat, but I know it worked almost immediately, like within 2 or 3 day and he literally stopped marking everything INSIDE the house, but continued to mark bushes and walls OUTSIDE.

Hi. Sorry just read the last two threads. My sympathies with the sugar bowl and the toaster - actually I think our toaster got it too now that I think about it. Our NEW toaster is still fine.

Please could you tell me where I could buy the Staphysagria?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

One thing that hasn't been mentioned: have you had the cat to the vet? S/Mooch may have a urinary tract infection - this often makes cats change their peeing behaviour.

Also, check outside for foxes. Even if he's spending a lot of time outside, life can be scary if there's foxes around.

madenuf wrote: »
    Rancid wrote: »
    Staphysagria.

Hi. Sorry just read the last two threads. My sympathies with the sugar bowl and the toaster - actually I think our toaster got it too now that I think about it. Our NEW toaster is still fine.

Please could you tell me where I could buy the Staphysagria?

Thanks
    Although most health food shops stock Homoeopathic remedies, you really do need to take your cat to a homoeopathic vet because what suits one cat and it's symptoms could be incorrect for another. Each case is individual.
    Also, the dilution (strength) has to be appropriate for the remedy to be effective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

A call to the vet might be in order - it could be a urinary tract infection.

There is a possiblity that another animal has come into it's toilet territory and marked it and he's too nervous to go there the whole time. Perhaps providing a litter box indoor for ocassional use may save your furniture.

One of my friends had once bought a new brand of cleaner, and her cat liked it's scent and decided not to use it's litter box and go everywhere else the cleaner was. She switched back to her old brand and the cat returned to using it's box.

Good luck and keep us posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

luckat wrote: »
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned: have you had the cat to the vet?

em I mentioned it......... also said that something like this should never be thought of as a behavioural problem until it has been ruled out that it is a medical one.......;)

Hi there. Sorry to have left you all for a bit there - work pressures. Just to let you know that, touch wood, the problem seesm to have gone away. I did try and trace a homeopathic vet but was almost laughed out of Co. Kerry. (Would appreicate any referrals). We also changed the diet a bit and, if it was possible, we loved and pampered him even more. Touch wood we've had 4 weeks without incident. Maybe it was something like a fox outside that had him scared for a bit. The true test now will be the winter. Would you want to go outside in the cold and the snow? Still none of our cats have had an inside kitten box after the age of 3 months unless they were ill, and this is our 6th winter in this house so I'm fairly positive. I just wanted to thank you all for your help and advice. Stay well!

madenuf wrote: »
    Hi there. Sorry to have left you all for a bit there - work pressures. Just to let you know that, touch wood, the problem seesm to have gone away. I did try and trace a homeopathic vet but was almost laughed out of Co. Kerry. (Would appreicate any referrals). We also changed the diet a bit and, if it was possible, we loved and pampered him even more. Touch wood we've had 4 weeks without incident. Maybe it was something like a fox outside that had him scared for a bit. The true test now will be the winter. Would you want to go outside in the cold and the snow? Still none of our cats have had an inside kitten box after the age of 3 months unless they were ill, and this is our 6th winter in this house so I'm fairly positive. I just wanted to thank you all for your help and advice. Stay well!
    Glad it's settled down and he's back to normal now.
    I'll ask my vet if he can recommend anyone in Kerry, it's a long shot, but worth a try and if I get any names, I'll let you know. :)

Advertisement