Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to avoid paying a luas fine.

Options
  • 12-10-2007 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭oclugg

If you don't have a ticket and an inspector gets on give your name and address in Irish. It is your right and they are oblidged by law to comply...they just haven't got around to dealing with it yet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

A better way: Buy a damn ticket, you dirty hippie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

oclugg wrote: »
    If you don't have a ticket and an inspector gets on give your name and address in Irish. It is your right and they are oblidged by law to comply...they just haven't got around to dealing with it yet.
    What will you do when he says "Céart go leor" and proceeds to write it down?

Could your minder or other responsible adult not just have bought you a ticket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

yeah, just buy a bloody ticket. saves any hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cruibin

Walk!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

cruibin wrote: »
    Walk!

Exactly, if you walk on when stopped they can't do a thing ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

What do you do when he just asks you how too spell it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

What do you do when he just asks you how too spell it?

I suppose you reply Ni thuigim:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

When you do this (and you probably won't, naturally) be sure to get a friend to video it, and post a link here. Should be very entertaining methinks.

Just don't do it at Busáras cos' they'll drag you into Store St ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

Your name comes off whatever form of photo ID you (are compelled to) show them so that's not a problem. I guess your address could be another problem but they'd probably just ask you to write it for them.

On a similar note, I've seen gardai on foot and on bike show up at Luas stops when people are being spoken to about their tickets so there's always a chance you could get badly stung if you try to be an awkward ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

yeah keep saying such a solution to your 13 year old dick head friends who believe such **** talk.

I swear to God, this is a fine example of the retard anti authority shams present today in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Pass out and see what happens!

Or you could just buy a ticket, as the first person said
    You dirty hippie!!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cruibin

Walk!

When I said walk I meant - if you are not going to pay for the service, use your legs instead to get you places.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

A> I'm pretty sure this is bullsh*t

B> If it was true, the non-Irish inspectors would have a card with the details of travelling without a ticket printed in Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

When I said walk I meant - if you are not going to pay for the service, use your legs instead to get you places.

Oh right, ha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

In Germany most of the trams/Ubahns don't have ticket controls, so loads of people never buy tickets, but of course there's a hefty fine if you get caught. I heard a story a few years ago, and I can't remember who from, so it's probably not true, but who cares, about two Irish students who got caught in Frankfurt (I think it was) and pretended that they only spoke Irish. They were brought along to the police station and an Irish interpreter was found, and when that happened they had to stop pretending.

As for the original assertion, what a load of rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

cailinoBAC wrote: »
    They were brought along to the police station and an Irish interpreter was found, and when that happened they had to stop pretending.

As for the original assertion, what a load of rubbish.

Don't **** with the German authorities.

And pay for your Luas ticket, don't be so cheap. We finally get a good, reliable and reasonably priced service and people still want to rip it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Buy a skate board and a rope...you and your buddy go halves on a ticket while he goes inside holding one end of the rope and you stay outside standing on the skateboard holding the other end of the rope...that way you travel for half the price...F*ck the authoritys with their money grabbing rules!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You do realise that the people you expect to read this thrash are those who are subsidising your free trips by buying their tickets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭fiveone

dub45 wrote: »
    You do realise that the people you expect to read this thrash are those who are subsidising your free trips by buying their tickets?

By you own choice - I refuse to pay on principle because the damn thing is so expensive. You're happy with the prices, you can foot the bill

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

lydonst wrote: »
    By you own choice - I refuse to pay on principle because the damn thing is so expensive. You're happy with the prices, you can foot the bill

I presume you don't use the service then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

LOL!

I presume you use the bus then, or walk?
    The luas is only expensive if you're using it in a lazy way, i.e. travelling only 2 or 3 stops.

I pay about 16 euro a week for unlimited luas travel, I think that's a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

It's 10c more than the bus, and it's faster and more comfortable. If you use a smartcard it's cheaper than the bus. You don't refuse to pay on principle, you refuse because you're able to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

god i wish we had national service,might sort you spongers out
    you need a good kick up the arse TBH!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

get on the luas,
    sit at the VERY front
    if an inspector hops on,just hop off
    problem solved

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

get on the luas,
    sit at the VERY front
    if an inspector hops on,just hop off
    problem solved

Not quite. They often leave an inspector on the platform to ask people that hop off on the stop the inspectors get on to check for possible evaders like you.
    I've seen a good few people get stung with fines this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭MrVostro

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Not quite. They often leave an inspector on the platform to ask people that hop off on the stop the inspectors get on to check for possible evaders like you.
    I've seen a good few people get stung with fines this way.

that happened to me last week. i got off the luas and an inspector stops me and asks for my ticket. i had one in my wallet but just told him i was in a hurry and walked off. he tried to stop me and i asked him did he really want to stop me walkin away by force. that was the end of that.

on avoiding fares though i reckon all you do is travel at peak times. then there is nomroom on the luas for inspectors to move at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

|Cookies wrote: »
    with 3 "bodyguards"

Saw them turf off a bunch of around 8 drunk kids at Milltown last week (during mid-term). Those security guards were feckin huge!! :eek:They had to crouch down when walking down the tram! No one would dare give these lads any abuse!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I like the luas.
    CLean,cheap,reliable and fast.

Try living in Galway, I'd give my right arm for a luas. Going to dublin is grand.

I wouldn't rip it off, as being a civic minded person, I'm going to pay for the service I'm using.

Also be careful with the "speaking Irish in foreign countries"
    In Belgium I knew a few translators who were learning irish as they'd get paid more and not have to use it much. They can be called on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

I refuse to pay on principle because the damn thing is so expensive.

Well then stay off the God Damned Luas then you moron.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

|Cookies wrote: »
    with 3 "bodyguards"

Saw this last Friday night when I was getting the Luas into town around 8pm. Security guards in bright yellow vests.

Veolia operate a good, safe, clean and reliable service in the form of the Luas, and while I wish it was a little cheaper, it is worth paying for.

Advertisement