Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to avoid paying a luas fine.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 skypeuser

maybe i am wrong , but buying a ticket will help a lot lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

oclugg wrote: »
    If you don't have a ticket and an inspector gets on give your name and address in Irish. It is your right and they are oblidged by law to comply...they just haven't got around to dealing with it yet.

People said the same with the Gardai, but if you do something like this, the Gardai can be called, who is bounf to have someone who speaks Irish, then you're in the sheite!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Good to see the tax-break employer-employee travel ticket thing going ahead. Good effort to make public transport more practical and affordable.
    It should be people's first choice in most urban travel situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

Plenty of companies still don't offer it though which is pathetic. It should be possible to claim the tax back yourself instead of forcing people to go through their companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Eh, find someone who has a valid monthly or weekly pass, like a student, photocopy the pass and post it to Veolia. I forgot my pass once and did this.

• Advertisement

• that happened to me last week. i got off the luas and an inspector stops me and asks for my ticket. i had one in my wallet but just told him i was in a hurry and walked off. he tried to stop me and i asked him did he really want to stop me walkin away by force. that was the end of that.

Is it even legal to stop people who are on the platform and walking away from the Luas? I have a long commute in the mornings, I'm always rushing on to catch the DART and the last thing I need is someone asking me to get out my wallet on a crowded platform in Stephen's Green when I'm in a hurry. I've walked past several times unless they got insistant. I was on the Luas for 15 mins during which time they could have checked my ticket (always buy the weekly or monthly ticket) and I don't really appreciate having to waste more time showing my ticket after the journey. I suppose they have to operate like that now with so many people like the OP "refusing" to buy tickets :rolleyes:

I'm always shocked at how many people they catch given that it's very hard to get away with ticket evasion nowadays. Back in 2004 it was easy for people to just get off the Luas, but now they really close in on you so you can't get away. It makes me laugh how many people think it's their right to use the Luas for free. The 'trust' system will never work in Ireland. It's one thing to not buy a ticket the very odd time when you're flat broke but I don't understand people who use it all the time while refusing to pay 'on principle', and then have the nerve to complain about the price. It's more expensive cos there are so many people who don't pay, raising the price for everyone! I pay 13.80 for my weekly ticket and I don't think that's unreasonable for a fast, reliable service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

[quote=[Deleted User];54449075]It makes me laugh how many people think it's their right to use the Luas for free. The 'trust' system will never work in Ireland. It's one thing to not buy a ticket the very odd time when you're flat broke but I don't understand people who use it all the time while refusing to pay 'on principle', and then have the nerve to complain about the price. It's more expensive cos there are so many people who don't pay, raising the price for everyone! I pay 13.80 for my weekly ticket and I don't think that's unreasonable for a fast, reliable service.[/QUOTE]

You're so right!!! :D:D:D
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Advertisement