Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Almost 8 year old cat hooked on go-cat kitten

• 12-10-2007 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

We have 3 cats we love and are not afraid to spend money on the very best food we can find. So it pains me that one of them - a fully grown helathy active brute of a male aged 7.5 years- will ONLY eat Go Cat Kitten dry pellets. After 8 months of this my cat is the picture of absolute perfection in terms of health and appearance, but I worry that this isnt really a balanced diet for a cat of his age, and I also wonder if there are any long term implications for his health. Thanks for any advice you can offer.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

cataholic wrote: »
    I also wonder if there are any long term implications for his health.

Yep, think so. AFAIK kitten food has higher levels of protein in it, which kittens need for growth and development. Adult cats, however, don't need the same levels of protein, and it can cause kidney failure.

Not sure how you can encourage him to eat different food though, other than, you know, just don't buy it.

If you have a <12mth old kitten that you need it for though, that's less workable :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 cataholic

Yikes!!! How certain are you about the kidney failure? I havent won a debate with this cat ..... well EVER! But if his kidneys are at risk we'll have to give it a try.

I tried to put a collar on him once and he vanished for 10 days. Returned fit, happy, overtly cocky with no collar on. I was so pleased to see him I didnt care and have never put a collar on him again. He's a tough nut to crack.

No other kittens in the house at the moment so that helps.#

thanks for the reply

microgirl wrote: »
    AFAIK kitten food :/

i forgot to ask what does AFAIK stand for? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

AFAIK as far as I know :D

have you tried gradually mising something else in with the go cat - a tiny bit day one a bit more day two etc........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Hi,

It is very bad for him to still be on kitten food, as above poster said, and while your cat will maintain it's proper weight it will not get all the proper nutrients it needs.

I recommend Husse cat food. It's brilliant nurtritionally, it's a low feed rate so while the bulk purchase is costly (€30 for 7 kilos), it works out to be a bit cheaper than Whiskas, they deliver to your house for free, and even picky cats like mine love it! You can order a free sample for your cats and make future purchases on www.husse.ie . I recommend getting a sample and giving it a go w/ your cats before purchasing, but I'd say you'd have no problems getting your fussy eater onto it!:)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the referrals. I will definately give that a go. We're getting close to the last yellow box of cocaine for cats or whatever's in there so here's hoping. Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Feeding an adult male cat on kitten food is ridiculous !!
    The nutrient composition of a kitten food will be all wrong, he will be overloaded with some and deprived of others !
    Even if you have to try and entice him with a wet tinned food, it would be much better than feeding him a balanced diet rather than a kitten food. Then if he did eat the wet food, try mixing it with another brand of food gradually until he gets used to it. I know cats are intelligent but hes the cat and your his owner so whatever you says, goes.

quick question - you say he only eats go cat kitten......... fair enough but how long do you hold out for? do you give in to him after a half hour...... two hours...... a day.....

what I'm getting at is how wrapped around his paw are you lol

quick question - you say he only eats go cat kitten......... fair enough but how long do you hold out for? do you give in to him after a half hour...... two hours...... a day.....

what I'm getting at is how wrapped around his paw are you lol

4 days was my record during which time he dispatched several mice and devoured half of each body to make a bit of a statement. It was the dead mouse in my slipper that caused me to give up. Of course I realise he's a cat and I'm the boss, and no I'm not overly anthropomorphising (spelling??) but it's really difficult to ignore him when he's permaently camped in front of the bowl staring at me. I am going to try that new food recommended above (have ordered the free sample) - wish us luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If he doesn't want to eat that either, do the following:

When he sits in front of his empty bowl, put in some of the food, leave for ten minutes, then empty the bowl again.

Repeat at meal times until he eats ...and he will, eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

Our cats like the Almo Nature samples we got at Pet Expo, seems to be comprised of real pieces of shredded chicken and fish rather than the muck in usual tinned wet foods

Demonique wrote: »
    Our cats like the Almo Nature samples we got at Pet Expo, seems to be comprised of real pieces of shredded chicken and fish rather than the muck in usual tinned wet foods

mine too - will be on zooplus later ordering some for the kitties here :)

@ Cataholic - right so :D was just wondering if you'd give it a good try or not - if you mixe a tiny bit of other dry food into it does he pick the kitten food out & leave the rest? or would he eat it all?

Advertisement