Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you consider this a good touch up? (all opinions welcome!)

Options
  • 12-10-2007 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭

Hi, im a on and off user of photoshop, my friend has a hobby of taking pictures of adverts yet she took one, and wasnt please with the sun glare, so she asked me could i do something with it! (reason why she couldnt take another photo was because the poster was gone the next day!)
    I pretty much stuck to simplicity on this one.
    and i'd really like to know if you think its a good enough job before i send it to her, i'll take all advice and tips!

1ik35u.jpg

I had to bascially re-construct his hairline, i can pick out where it looks a little botched, which is starting to bug me... let me know!
    cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Its a pretty decent job, but...

yes there's always a "but" :)

The image suffers from a slight lack of sharpness, I'd reccommend a high pass sharpening.
    Also its a little flat colour wise so give it a curves adjustment to bring out the blacks a bit more.

Here is a quickie with a slight perspective adjustment:
    postergj5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Goat Mouth

ooh very nice indeed!
    aye the sharpness makes it alot better, i didnt even think about using that!
    i was ordered to "REVOME THE BLEEDIN GLARE!!!" her words (not so exactly, there were alot more C words involved!)

thanks suspect!

hey Suspect, was just wondering, what sharpen tool exactly did you use for this?
    i've tried the one thats attached to the Smudge option, but it doesnt have similar effect!

There is a method known as high pass sharpening, works a treat!
    There are various versions and variation on it but it basically involves duplicating your layer
    and applying the high pass filter to it (filter>other>high pass, If you use CS3 you can make this a smart filter). This hides areas of low contrast with 50% gray and highlights the edges. The the radius so that the non sharp edges are just visible.
    Anyway change the blend mode on the high pass duplicate to one of the "lights" such as vivid light or hard light and drop the opacity to preference.

Muineach did a great tutorial over in photographys Digital Darkroom...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055138186

ooh sweet
    thanks for the tips man!

• Advertisement

No hassle, hope it helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Muhamed Ali

Had a go myself.

glare.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Muhamed Ali

This is what George thought when I showed my attempt to him

Bush-Finger.gif

tis a slow forum tbh and its a long weekend...
    Anyway the only criticism I have of your job is that you've lost a lot of detail in the blacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

you could recommend to your friend that she use a polarizing filter when she takes shots like these. done properly there wouldn't be any/much glare in the photo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filter_(photography)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 keefalmighty

If you can at all... try to keep away from filters!
    Gentle touch ups with contrast or curve adjustment layers can help the colour and sharpness. Everything else looks pretty good from here.

Whats wrong with a polariser?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

If you can at all... try to keep away from filters!
    Gentle touch ups with contrast or curve adjustment layers can help the colour and sharpness. Everything else looks pretty good from here.

lol... he is referring to a filter on the lens, not a photoshop filter.

I was wondering... Not enough photographers around here!

Advertisement