Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart's 6month contract?

Options
  • 12-10-2007 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Does anyone here know anything about Smart Telecom's 6month broadband contract? The place I live in has free wireless internet but the signal is a joke so I want to order in my own broadband. Just I wont be there for 12months so I need to find a 6month broadband contract.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Glazun wrote: »
    Does anyone here know anything about Smart Telecom's 6month broadband contract? The place I live in has free wireless internet but the signal is a joke so I want to order in my own broadband. Just I wont be there for 12months so I need to find a 6month broadband contract.

Its amazing how effective a telephone call to these companies can be or even a visit to the website at least then you are getting it from the horse's mouth!

http://www.smarttelecom.ie/residential_faq.html
    How long is the contract term?
    A. There is a 12 month commitment required.

Afaik most of the other dsl providers have six month contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Glazun

I wasn't able to find anything on their site.. and they didnt pick up the phone when ever I called.

Though looking at the FAQ, a 12month contract is required. Looks like I wont be getting broadband into my flat so. Look's like I'm stuck with the worlds worst wireless connection, not quite sure whats wrong with it but between the hours of 9am and 11pm its slower than dial up and it also disconnects every 5minutes sometimes disapearing completely for hours.

I don't know if there's any other prodivors around though.. possibly Eircom.. Irish Broadband.. and other companies like that.

I wasn't able to find anything on their site.. and they didnt pick up the phone when ever I called.

Though looking at the FAQ, a 12month contract is required. Looks like I wont be getting broadband into my flat so. Look's like I'm stuck with the worlds worst wireless connection, not quite sure whats wrong with it but between the hours of 9am and 11pm its slower than dial up and it also disconnects every 5minutes sometimes disapearing completely for hours.

I don't know if there's any other prodivors around though.. possibly Eircom.. Irish Broadband.. and other companies like that.

If Smart are available to you then all of the other adsl providers will be available to you also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

IBB have a 6 month DSL contract. No experience with them but considering signing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Glazun

ciaranfo wrote: »
    IBB have a 6 month DSL contract. No experience with them but considering signing up.

Hmm.. I remember reading up on Irish Broadband before, but their DSL packages seem to be the exact same as Eircoms.. Seems to be all different now. Though.. 2MB download 256kb upload.. for 30euro seems a bit excessive compared to Smart's contract.. Well at least they do 6month contracts, do Eircom do 6month line rentral contracts?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Hmm.. I remember reading up on Irish Broadband before, but their DSL packages seem to be the exact same as Eircoms.. Seems to be all different now. Though.. 2MB download 256kb upload.. for 30euro seems a bit excessive compared to Smart's contract.. Well at least they do 6month contracts, do Eircom do 6month line rentral contracts?

That's a fairly standard speed and price for all eircom bitstream re-sellers. Smart are an LLU operator, with their own equipment in the exchange, hence the higher speeds and lower prices.

eircom don't have any minimum term on the line rental, you can disconnect any time.

Bare in mind that when you get your line connected (assuming you have one already in the house) then it will take up to a month for it to show as being capable of getting broadband (lines are only tested once a month by eircom). If you have to get eircom to install a line then you could be waiting months just for the line alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

And even after all that the line may not be capable of BB(they may give you a pairgain line! :eek:). And you have wasted €130 connection fee and €25 a month line rental.

jor el wrote: »
    That's a fairly standard speed and price for all eircom bitstream re-sellers. Smart are an LLU operator, with their own equipment in the exchange, hence the higher speeds and lower prices.

eircom don't have any minimum term on the line rental, you can disconnect any time.

Bare in mind that when you get your line connected (assuming you have one already in the house) then it will take up to a month for it to show as being capable of getting broadband (lines are only tested once a month by eircom). If you have to get eircom to install a line then you could be waiting months just for the line alone.

Eircom have a minimum period of six months.

http://www.eircom.ie/bveircom/pdf/bb_real_terms.pdf

Advertisement