Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on doing a Masters please

Options
  • 12-10-2007 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I am a mature 4th year student studying computing (software development) at IT Sligo. I am very interested in undertaking a Masters next year. Ideally I would like to do a research Masters in one of the Universities in Ireland and even more ideally, I would like to come up with my own idea for the project, but if a suitable company project came alone I would be happy to apply for that also.
    That’s as clear as I can be right now, everything else is a bit foggy and directionless.
    I have an interest in IT development in developing countries and was thinking this would provide me enough scope to come up with an idea. But I'm not sure what sort of ideas I should be coming up with.
    e.g. My initial idea for a dissertation was along the lines of “Obstacles to IT development in developing countries”. But – I am now thinking this is more a social / political study rather than an IT study. Am I right or wrong here?

Secondly - funding…… I would love to hear form any people who have gone down similar routes to me and secured funding. How? Where? When?

Thirdly – timing . . . . . .As I am a mature student (40), I really want continuity from this year into next (securing a Masters). I do not want a break because if I stop studying now at all, I will never go back.
    Should I try and secure funding first and then start applying to Universities for a place or visa versa or what?

In general, am I on the right lines here? Do I need to be doing anything differently? Is any one university better than another? Is it crazy trying to secure accommodation? What’s life like as a Masters student?

I know – a whole pile of questions and I do apologize. If any of you can even provide snippets of information I would be so grateful.

Thanks for reading

Advertisement