Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet Any good ?????

Options
  • 12-10-2007 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭

Is the BB service in particular the 8MB package any good. Looking for a quick & reliable service that will be used mainly for downloading, surfing and online gaming. ( BF2, 2142, Quake Wars ) Also for the 360, Wii and soon to arrive PS3.

What equipment does Magnet provide, is there a router with wireless capability.:confused:

Currently on Eircom 3MB DSL package but not happy with contention / speed issues.:(

Any inputs welcomed......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Macker1

Bump....... Anyone have an input

Good or Bad ????????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

dunno if they sell consumer BB at the moment !

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MeWantBroadband

I think Magnet got out of DSL a while back.

They are in certain developments, where the apartments/houses are wired for Magnet instead of NTL. You then get cable/bb/telephone via their IP network.

Am just getting used to it here, but the broadband is awesome, and when you get 8 meg, it is 8 meg upstream aswell.

Am getting 6ms pings in CounterStrike :cool:

Snags so far are that I haven't found their SMTP server address and it is not on their site, and while I haven't used the cable box much, I think it is a bit suss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

i had it up until two weeks ago and in a word: awesome.

their tv package was pretty lame but if you have the option of going for 8mb DSL then do. where you you based? EsatBT have upgraded some of their dublin exchanges for ADSL2 and are now offering up to 8mb (though not synchronous).

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭davil

Magnet Business have been screwing around with me ever since they bought over Netsource, a company which I was with and never had any trouble with. I had major problems with direct debits for ages (they wouldn't take them out and my balance kept getting bigger and bigger). - once I thought I had it all sorted I got post to say they had problems with Direct Debit system upgrade or something and it had all been fixed so I thought that would be the end of it but how wrong was I?

VERY WRONG!!!! :confused::confused::mad::mad::mad::confused::(:eek:

Any time I ring to ask about a billing query there's nobody to deal with it and I leave my number and only ever got a callback once after I cancelled my service. I'm still getting billed and a lot of figures and dates they quoted me to do with my direct debits didn't add up. The worst thing is paying quarterly as it's very hard to see month to month what's going on. but that aside, their level of customer service is astoundingly bad. yes the BB service itself was fine when I had it but that's no excuse for treating customers like they don't exist. I even got the credit control managers number once. rang it two or three times and left messages and guess what? I never once got a call back from him! What kind of Mickey Mouse company are they running?

as for Magnet for homes, I don't know. I just don't trust the company at all and I never will again. I would advise against them if u value your time and money. in my opinion they are the dodgiest company I've ever dealt with!!! that includes buying stuff "down the market" and off ebay etc. etc.

My God, I just can't put into words how dodgy these guys were when it came to my service. I'd go as far as to say Eircom are like 100 times better service!!!! that's no joke!! :eek:

I've moved to Imagine for phone and broadband and although I had some technical problems at the start, they always ring me back when I need them and their online billing system is perfect so far. :)

anyway all this is just my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

best service ever.
    if you can get it, do.

ive had no problems getting through to them for support etc

@mewantbroadband
    smtp.magnet.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭davil

Try contacting their billing department with a query . then you'll know pain lol :-)

Advertisement