Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy places in Galway

Options
  • 12-10-2007 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭

Seeing as we all know about the Line being risky, maybe here people could put places they'd advise you to be on your guard.

I'll start with the pathway behind Corrib Village, going through forest and fields along the river.

I'd just been to boxing in the Dangan sports hall and was walking back to the college by going along the river pathway. It was creepy as hell, the area is unlit with a couple of ruins looming out of the forest. It's not somewhere I'd reccomend going along alone even during the day.

Only once I'd walked the whole gauntlet did I see signs advising people not to walk there alone at night.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Traditio

It's a popular walk during the day for students and locals but rather dark as you described. The college (NUIG) advise students not to walk alone. My advice would be walk as a group, if going that way after dark to Corrib village. 'The Line' is dodgy day or night as it's very isolated. It's a popular walk way but again probably best if people walk in groups.Avoid after dark totally . Take a cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

I'll start with the pathway behind Corrib Village, going through forest and fields along the river.

a couple of years back there were a hell of a lot of attacks reported .. in recent years I don't know ... but unfortunately the number of attacks doesn't always = the number of attacks reported :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

Don't we have a thread for this? The new to galway thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Please don't continue with this thread.

There is no need to start posting up places that are "Dodgy".

sgthighway wrote: »

just thinking about it .. you're right ...

if its dark and its dodegy don't go down it ... it applies to everywhere ... not just galway ... and just naming places in galway is scaremongering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

So we agreed the only places to name that are Dodgy in Galway are only Dodgy when Knackerdwarf is present?

So we agreed the only places to name that are Dodgy in Galway are only Dodgy when Knackerdwarf is present?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

This'd be the type of place that would be in brown on a Monopoly board, with Taylors Hill and Bearna in dark blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

wet-paint wrote: »
    This'd be the type of place that would be in brown on a Monopoly board, with Taylors Hill and Bearna in dark blue.

Hey, I live in Barna, and I'd hardly call myself loaded. I'm staying with the old man who's a part time lecturer. Although I live just off Cappagh Road. The church on sundays is filled with Yuppies. Barna Village is tiny but seems like something artificiel. There's a coffee bar FFS.

I didn;t start this thread for scaremongering but to warn and be warned about potentially dangerous areas. We all know now about the Line. But thats as a tragedy happened. If I didn't know better I could've headed off down it without knowing how isolated it was.
    I headed off down the pathway behind Corrib as I'd no idea it was so isolated and dark at night. If I'd known then I'dve gone down the main road to college.

The thing about the line is not that it's isolated or dark or anything, that's like a lot of Galway. The thing about the line is that you're committed once you're on it. If you're walking out, and you come across an undesirable, you're pretty much screwed, your options are either pushing on and hoping they don't go for you, or turning around. For a lot of it you can't jump down the land side, and the sea side has a fence that's too high to scale.
    If someone does give chase, you have to be able to go the distance to the end of the line, as you can't go anywhere else.
    That's why if someone does go for you and you resist, you really can't give any quarter, you're really out there on your own and if you don't take them down fairly smartly, you can't get away very easily.

• Advertisement

Oh and you don't have to be rich to live in Bearna, but if you want to buy property there now, you do.

For barnaL: Agreed, we're renting

Your point about the line:
    though the same could be said about the pathway behind Corrib village. Jump into the river or climb a tree?

I posted this in case there's any other places to be wary of, so I don't go blundering down them at 3am. There's probably other risky, isolated,poorly lit places in Galway

Sure, but it does have a security hut at one end, doesn't it?
    And it's not quite the trek that the line is. But I'm ****ered if I'm letting this stop me walking the line. That's letting the jihadists win.

You've my backing there, taking caution is a good thing, but I'm not gonna stop using somewhere due to a fraction of a chance of injury.

I could wrap myself in cotton wool and be hit by a meteor in my bed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

why? is it really necessary to point out all the potential hotspots? can people not use their heads or something to evaluate a situation these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

The city centre is probably the worst spot of them all, after dark. Eyre Square, Shop Street and places like the grounds of St. Patricks aren't places you want to be after 11pm or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Fenster wrote: »
    The city centre is probably the worst spot of them all, after dark,Shop Street aren't places you want to be after 11pm or so.

I bet the tens of thousands of people that go pass there every night will stop now :D
    Thread is pointless in my opinion,anywhere can be dangerous given the right circumstance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Fenster wrote: »
    The city centre is probably the worst spot of them all, after dark. Eyre Square, Shop Street and places like the grounds of St. Patricks aren't places you want to be after 11pm or so.
    Not a bit, the city centre is fine, except on the weekend when the rednecks dock up to get drunk, fight and maybe score themselves a wife.

Places I'd avoid are Castlepark, some areas of Ballybane or Mervue, and that place in the back of Gleann Dara where they moved all the refugees from the old Rahoon flats. Most of those I wouldn't walk through day or night, and I've lived in this city all my life, and no shrinking violet either.

I;m curious, where;s Gleann Dara?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 206 ✭✭Creachadóir

Shop street is very safe. I'd walk there alone at night even now. Eyre sq not so much (now or ever). I hope they catch him quick. ****************

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Not a bit, the city centre is fine, except on the weekend when the rednecks dock up to get drunk, fight and maybe score themselves a wife.

Places I'd avoid are Castlepark, some areas of Ballybane or Mervue, and that place in the back of Gleann Dara where they moved all the refugees from the old Rahoon flats. Most of those I wouldn't walk through day or night, and I've lived in this city all my life, and no shrinking violet either.

I never remember refugees being in the Rahoon flats! From what i remember the flats were knocked down well before the foregin nationals started coming over here. From my experience 90% of the guys that cause hastle in Gleann Dara are local, i'm from Westside and i'd have no problem walking around there in the early hours. It's sad that i can't say the same about Eyre Square or other parts of Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭5times

That's because all the minks from Westside are in Eyre Square causing trouble at that hour , and before you jump up and down I'm from Westside too .

I never remember refugees being in the Rahoon flats! From what i remember the flats were knocked down well before the foregin nationals started coming over here.
    Not refugees from Africa, refugees from the flats. Sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Refugees? From the flats? Explain that one to me now...intriged...

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Mill Street is seriously dodge....all types of lowlife scum down there

Ah wait, I know Gleann Dara. My cousin lives there, but he's only a harmless farmboy student

Refugees? From the flats? Explain that one to me now...intriged...
    The flats were home to many a social climber that might one day have aspired to being scumbags, one story I remember is one of the infamous Dodd family leapt from the top of the flats, probably 60-80 feet up to escape the Guards. Upon striking the ground, he proceeded to get up and limp off into the distance. Fairly special sort.

In case anyone is still confused about the word "refugees", its not a synonym for African. Mmmkay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Refugee-a person who flees for refuge or safety, esp. to a foreign country, as in time of political upheaval, war, etc.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

In case anyone is still confused about the word "refugees", its not a synonym for African. Mmmkay?
    But they spent so much of the mid 90s telling us they were refugees, in the form of chart friendly hop hop.

Once again, it's one rule for semi-edgy musical emsembles from a decade ago and another rule for the rest of us...

• Advertisement

as in time of political upheaval, war, etc.
    ...or da corpo knocked da flahs and de feends from tree floors down bricked me carrivan...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement