Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Friday night with Johnathan Ross

• 12-10-2007 10:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭

Love it! Anyone watch last weeks? I'm off to watch this weeks now!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

Well, it beats Pat's Chat hands down anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Enthralling guests on it tonight so I gave it a miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Peter Andre cracked a half-decent joke in the pre-amble.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Well to be honest, I was a bit disappointed with this weeks epiosoide, found last weeks to be more enjoyable.

Anyways.. Oh the Brokeback Mountain was the best I think

And The late late show, to put it simple, is for those who are interested in primarily debates, I reckon, sometimes it may cover entertainment issues, but there certainly isn't as much humour, so if you like serious chatshows that's grand, but I tend to lean more to Johnathan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Alot of the guests on it are boring, but its the best chat show on tv when on form-mainly because you can tell Ross really enjoys his job,isnt just there for the paycheck[even though its now a pretty big one]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Alot of the guests on it are boring, but its the best chat show on tv when on form-mainly because you can tell Ross really enjoys his job,isnt just there for the paycheck[even though its now a pretty big one]

His shows both on BBC R2 on a Sat morning and his chat show are enjoyable. He's tipped to take over from Wogan when he decides to pack it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Love it whenever I can catch it. Best chat-show on TV IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

he's self obsessed, repetitive and a bit of twat, and very crude...

asking cameron if he wanked to thatcher etc

he's always going on about being old, and inviting people over to house on tv... terrible

but he gets the the a listers,so ya gotta watch

americans love going on his show cos its so rude and they never get to do that in america but ross should be more respectful to people like nicole kidman who have the right not to respond to his flirting , another of his cheap repetitve tricks to get a laugh

anyway gyllenhall (sp?) was up for it ,maybe a bit too much cos he never got to talk seriously about rendition, loved when ross asked him about his environmentalism and flying across the atlantic he just said he swam. and stuck with that. class answer.

michelle pfeiffer was up for it to.

what ya reckon of graham norten's show, think his bits with the public rarely work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Have ricky gervais, Lee Evans or Rob Brydon being on yet?...

what ya reckon of graham norten's show, think his bits with the public rarely work

I watched it the other night. Thought it was very good but seems to be a carbon copy of his show that was on Channel 4 a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Ross's chatshow isn't meant to be serious and works best when the guests are just on for a bit of a laugh. If you want serious discussion on the films watch Ross's film show.

Graham Norton's show on the Beeb is worse than the one he had on C4. I don't know why but just not the same anarchic vibe to it. He should bring back the little games and ****e he used to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭standbyme

bbability wrote: »
    His shows both on BBC R2 on a Sat morning and his chat show are enjoyable. He's tipped to take over from Wogan when he decides to pack it in.

I couldnt bear to watch the 'plastic pair & her puppy boy' even though Ross would take the piss outta them, but should be good as he has Wogan on next week as he's always talkin bout his (TOGs) Terry's Old Geezer's inc the token boyband TAKE THAT along with two other guests.

& to top it off you can watch a classic straight after on E4+1 Planes, Trains & Automobiles at 11:35pm ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

great show. at times, hit and miss and u can see he is just going thru the motions with some guests. when ricky gervais was on (they are best friends) he said something along the lines of hating seeing a guest he knows johnothan hates on the show and watching him blowing their trumpet. sometimes i think its obvious. cracking show though. looks like a lot of fun.

and we have ryan tubridy as our answer. nice person, not his fault the set and production values are cack. he seems nervous at times as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Did any of ye see Sly Stalone on it on Friday? He was great :D Didn't realise he's so funny

"Would you not make another Rocky movie?"
    "No, who am I gonna fight, arthritis? oooohh, there's a clogged artery *throws punches, clutches his heart*"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Lol yeah that was a great interview, very entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

What the hell was the story with that band at the end though? Worst guitar playing I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Jello wrote: »
    Love it whenever I can catch it. Best chat-show on TV IMO.

+1 - Jonathan Ross is mega........pure talent

I rarely leave it on for the band, they're usually sh*te......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

I loved the joke Jonathan told Sly:

"You have made 6 Wocky movies and 3 Wambo moviies, when are you going to make a movie that I can pronounce?":D:D:D

You would never catch Kenny or Tubridy taking the piss out of themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Compulsary viewing as you're always guaranteed a laugh, no matter who is on.

Can't say that about the Late Late unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Did any of ye see Sly Stalone on it on Friday? He was great :D Didn't realise he's so funny

"Would you not make another Rocky movie?"
    "No, who am I gonna fight, arthritis? oooohh, there's a clogged artery *throws punches, clutches his heart*"

Thought Stallone was a joke to be honest. Saying that people always recognise him from playing RAMBO, not Rocky, just because he's over in the UK whoreing the new movie. What was worse was that Woss agreed with him. Assholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Squiggle

No need for anyone to love Ross - he's his own biggest fan. A prize *anker who always stoops to the lowest possible level with his guests, regulalry talks about himself and/ or his wife during interviews . The last time I unfortunately caught a glimpse, he was asking Eva Longoria about her farts and then proceeded to tell her about his wifes - is this entertainment? Unreal stuff imo. He's an insufferable cretin, who , given his inability to speak properly, has got to be one of the luckiest f*ckers in broadcasting to land a chat show and earn millions in the process.

BolBill wrote: »
    Thought Stallone was a joke to be honest. Saying that people always recognise him from playing RAMBO, not Rocky, just because he's over in the UK whoreing the new movie. What was worse was that Woss agreed with him. Assholes.

He was promoting Rambo. Did you really expect him to go on about Rocky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Squiggle wrote: »
    No need for anyone to love Ross - he's his own biggest fan. A prize *anker who always stoops to the lowest possible level with his guests, regulalry talks about himself and/ or his wife during interviews . The last time I unfortunately caught a glimpse, he was asking Eva Longoria about her farts and then proceeded to tell her about his wifes - is this entertainment? Unreal stuff imo. He's an insufferable cretin, who , given his inability to speak properly, has got to be one of the luckiest f*ckers in broadcasting to land a chat show and earn millions in the process.

Apart from that you really like him though, right??? :D

You sound more like a Parky man (or our own Gaybo). These guys, in their day, were fantastic and that conventional style of chatshow still has it's place.

So does Wossy however. In these times when political correctness is so rampant Ross manages to j-u-s-t stay the right side of the line (IMO anyway). He only gives a really hard time to guests who are able for him - usually mates like Ricky Gervais, Jimmy Carr or Bruce Forsythe.

Actually I think asking a glamour goddess like Longoria about her farts is fantastic - sorry I missed that one!! :)

the only good thing about jonathan ross is the a-list stars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I think the whole thing is getting a bit tired at this stage...His has a standard line of ironic self-deprication and gutter chat with a-listers and he rarely varies from it. Not saying I don't like the show, just a bit unoriginal...

I think he prefer to have a show like he use to have more a bbc2 late night show, thats why the a-lister like it becuase they don't get ot go on shows like that in america, but then it can go badly wrong, JR is not your primetime presenter...

forrest witaker was interesting though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭dh2007

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Have ricky gervais, Lee Evans or Rob Brydon being on yet?...

lols! or matt lucas and david williams??

I think I've watched it to often to be honest. I don't find it nearly as funny as it used to be - he always cracks the same jokes and some the the guests have been on it far too many times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Source Yahoo

Former chat show host Gloria Hunniford has criticised Jonathan Ross for his interview technique.

The TV and radio veteran suggested that BBC show Friday Night with Jonathan Ross was a platform for the star's own humour - jokes about sex.
    Hunniford, 68, told TV Times magazine: "I do get a bit annoyed with some of the new chat shows.
    "Take Jonathan Ross. I like his show but he uses his guests as a tool for his own humour, whereas Parky would try to learn about them."
    "That's the type of interview I like best. If you have a major Hollywood star as a guest, you want to hear about them rather than just talking about sex all the time."
    Last year, Sir Michael Parkinson took a swipe at rivals such as Ross, who earns a reported £6 million a year from the BBC, and Charlotte Church. Parkinson, who ended his chat show career in December, said: "Mine's the last of the classic interview based chat shows. The rest now are just comedy shows. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not what I do. So this is it. I'm done."

Ross is one of the best chat show hosts around at present

• Advertisement

I always found JR to be very good when it comes to discussing the guest. If he's interviewing someone we know alot about (like say Ricky Gervais), then it's usually just a humorous chat and then they plug their new show, book, whatever..... But if it's someone a bit more obscure or mysterious (Pete Doherty is the one that comes to mind), he always seems genuinely interested.

after watching the sienna millar interview i've stopped watching, he sympathises her about intrusions into her life, and having to get her kit off to get into movies and then at the end of interview makes jokes and seeing her bush!!! ?

and with gyneth paltrow seems like she's somewhat grounded and up for laugh,but he wasted most of hte interview, why did he have to ask her boring old questions about yoga. everyweeks, it schtick about him getting old and farting and ask every american what differences there are between the uk and the USA and then we watched as they come up with the thrilling answer about how they can't get good peanut butter or something, is that the best he do?

his sleaziness has ruined many a interview remember nicole kidman etc, it just so unnessecary.

he got such a big head now he has to don his approval to guest like sienna, you really can act cos i say so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Last time I watched "some of it", was when he was turning on the OTT flirting with Janice Dickinson, the old wrinkly American ex-model. Unfortunately, she was responding by being equally OTT and it was stomach turning. :eek: I had to change to another channel before the screen got sprayed with vomit. I haven't watched it since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

is it true he has an open relationship and can have sex with anyone once he asks permission? im pretty sure the open part is true

That is the first time I have ever heard that tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Anyone else watching? Weren't Oasis supposed to be performing? No mention inthe intro:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

im not sure, just turned it on..has parkinson been on yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Parky was good......Alan Carr a right laff as per usual...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Mikel

Parkinson has some neck complaining about Ross. He's a fawning sycophantic old cretin, never asked anyone a challenging question in his life.
    Who wants to watch crap like that? An endless procession of shills selling a book or movie, at least take the piss out of some of them.

Ross can be very sycophantic with some of his guests, and he does seem to be a 'huge fan' of absolutely everyone, but it's refreshing with the american A listers that he can get them come out of the standard routine.
    I've seen Goldblum. Will Smith and others come across very well because they can handle someone taking the mickey a little, and they appear at least to be enjoying themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

he's repetitive and a bit of twat, and very crude...

Or if you like to the the mick out of his speech impediment : he's wepetitive, cwude and a ... er ..... twat.

Actually that last one works just fine wegardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

I enjoyed last week's, once Ricky Gervais had finished. His chumminess with Wossie is just painful. The fate of Gordon Ramsay's £800 truffle was hilarious.

Why oh why, when they were all effing at each others, did they screen a bleeped version of the Sarah Silverman fcuking Matt Damon video :rolleyes: ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

TarfHead wrote: »
    I enjoyed last week's, once Ricky Gervais had finished. His chumminess with Wossie is just painful. The fate of Gordon Ramsay's £800 truffle was hilarious.

Why oh why, when they were all effing at each others, did they screen a bleeped version of the Sarah Silverman fcuking Matt Damon video :rolleyes: ?
    I think that's how the video is meant to be played. For added comedy effect, you obviously didn't get it.

Could you have posted on an older thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

I think that's how the video is meant to be played. For added comedy effect, you obviously didn't get it.

The version I originally saw had no bleeps.
    Could you have posted on an older thread?

So, for a weekly programme, there should be a new thread for each week's edition :rolleyes: ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

TarfHead wrote: »
    Sarah Silverman ?

was that the one that was on last - god she was so boring.

Boring and hot at the same time.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Boring and hot at the same time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7680076.stm

seems more people voted boring and ripped off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

She was the only guest I watched on Friday night. Ramsay and Gervais well they've been on it loads, I'm kinda sick of them. Razorlight dont get me started.

Silverman, well I enjoyed her on 8 out of 10 cats and liked her on JR too, but that review was bad.

dodgyme wrote: »

That's the plan to launch herself in the UK over and done with :P

she was great on 8 out of ten and good on jr, she's brill but and damn hot but she works hard so you don't like her.

40 mins doens't sound too bad by the promoter for the expensive tickets.

40 mins doens't sound too bad by the promoter for the expensive tickets.

your easily pleased.

she was terrible on JR

JR-" were you funny as a child"
    SS - "yes hilarious" ..........................tumbleweed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

dodgyme wrote: »

Seems she will never make an impact in The British Isles as she has zero substance. Not too much of a problem in The US of A......

What proof, check this clown out

The funniest thing about the above vid is that the crowd aint laughing, its just screaming.

• Advertisement
Advertisement