Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Owen England Newcastle

• 12-10-2007 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Now i always liked the guy good player and cracking finisher one of the very few pool player that were actually good.

but i have to think the guy is not right in the head to "put his body on the line" for England but not play for newcastle.

Now Mc Claren has no problems playing him regardless of what newcastle say prolly more out of desperation than actual nastiness. but still he plays him regardless of how fit.

but does anyone else think its fairly wrong to be unfit for your club but strive to get fit for your country.

Something just doesnt seem right there.

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

He was always an England player first and a club player second.

He was a great servant to Liverpool between 98 and 02 but as I read in a book recently (Liverpool book about istanbul and other recent lfc history) playing for his club always seemed like what he did to fill the time between England games.
    I think he pissed off a good few toon fans before the last Wc when he kept mentioning getting fit for the Wc in the last couple of months of the season, whith no mention of gettign fit to give Newcastle a dig out for the season run in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He came on last week for a cameo and scored a goal, he's fit enough to play!

There is another agenda at work here I think, Big Sam has a problem with Owen going back a to newspaper article a few years ago when he wrote Owen off, and now he has to manage him.

I think Sam is engineering an exit for Owen, proberly to Man City. I suspect Owen would'nt object to Man City either, not now.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

So true english player or gob****e?

The man City thing seems to be gathering pace and im sure newcastle wil take the hand of anyone who offers them what they paid or more, but still they pay his wages and hes barley played a game for them since signing.

Its odd complaining about a player who puts his country 1st jesus we would die for 11 of those but Owen seems to seriously not give a **** about his job.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Its odd complaining about a player who puts his country 1st jesus we would die for 11 of those but Owen seems to seriously not give a **** about his job.

kdjac

But if those 11 were Pats players and putting Ireland 1st, would you not be a bit pissed off that he was favouring them over the club that pays his wages (helped by the money you spend on the club)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Stekelly wrote: »
    But if those 11 were Pats players and putting Ireland 1st, would you not be a bit pissed off that he was favouring them over the club that pays his wages (helped by the money you spend on the club)

Dunno i imagine i would be cheering on the 11 reserve players who were "fit" every week.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Its seems madness to play against Estonia at home, England should be well capable of hammering Estonia without Owen. Might be a case for playing him against Russia away alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

That thing about getting fit for the world cup seems to have really pissed Newcastle fans off. An excellent player on his day but with injuries and Man City seemingly willing to pay a decent price for him, he could well be gone by next summer or even January.

Freddy Shepherd would have even carried him to Liverpool! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Since Michael Owen joined Newcastle at the end of August 2005 he has started 16 games for England (including two "B" internationals) and started 17 games for Newcastle.

Games played for club and country, including sub appearances (England in Red):

05/06 06/07 07/08 Tot
    10/13 3/12 3/3 16/28
    77% 25% 100% 57%

11/48 3/57 7/10 21/115
    23% 5% 70% 18%

And in terms of minutes played:
    05/06 06/07 07/08 Tot
    670/1200 261/1080 237/270 1168/2550
    56% 24% 88% 46%

883/4320 247/5160 340/900 1470/10380
    20% 5% 38% 14%

Meanwhile Joey Barton had this to say:
    "People get carried away about playing for their country. It's always nice to be selected, and it is always a privilege and an honour. But the thing I have to do first and foremost is to do what I have been bought to do and that is play good football for Newcastle.

"If England comes then so be it, but I have played for them once now and that'll do for me. I am more interested in winning domestic honours.

"This is my bread and butter and at the minute - hand on heart - I would much rather be successful for Newcastle United than I would for England.

"England is on the back-burner for me, without a shadow of a doubt. I haven't been bought to play for England - I am here to play for Newcastle United."

www.nufc.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Proper scouse mentality from Joey Barton, good to see, maybe he should have a word with Mr Gerrard! Its unbelieveably obvious to everyone but Owen himself that he is more interested in internationals than his club, he will never change. He should just forget about England until he can totally regain his fitness and get a good run of games under his belt with Newcastle, time to start paying back some of that massive price they paid for him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ok hold on a second, this whole 'Owen to City' thing that's supposedly 'gathering pace' has come from the tabloid media. Sven has a habit of getting the media to think one thing while he does another. A smokescreen if you will. None of the players we signed in the summer were linked with us until the last minute while we didn't sign anyone who was. Owen is a crock and none of the fans really want him.

As for Joey, well he really is talking sh1te now. Could have been a good international if he just shut up.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »

As for Joey, well he really is talking sh1te now. Could have been a good international if he just shut up.
    You say that like he cares. Obviously he doesn't, neither do the Newcastle fans. These comments have been widely applauded by the Geordie fans who are very much Newcastle first, England second. Marriage made in heaven if you ask me. As for Saint Michael, I'd love to see the odds on him coming back injured again. Sven can have him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

kinaldo wrote: »
    Geordie fans who are very much Newcastle first, England second.
    Most English fans of English clubs have this attitude tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

this whole Owen situation is ridiculous. i think it shows to some extent how the players have too much power these days, despite being contracted they seem to be able to whatever the heck they want without reproach at times. at the end of the day he's an employee first and foremost, he should respect his employers wishes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Barton is just making himself the Anti-Owen. Owen gets stick for Supposidly putting England ahead of Newcastle so Joey comes out with a speil to the Media about how he "would much rather be successful for Newcastle United than I would for England" and in doing so gets in even better with the fans and Management at Newcastle. Its smart in my opinion yet kind of obvious.

As for Owen it seems if he is fit he wants to play, club or country it makes no difference. Argueably it should but it doesent to him, and that is why Newcastle fans would not be sad to see him move to a another club possibly city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Barton's hardly an England regular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

zabbo wrote: »
    Barton's hardly an England regular.

reason being he`s not good enough and never will be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Barton is only saying what he's saying because he never has, nor will be, a regular England international.

and amen to that! (England's Redondo :p)

Advertisement