Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Mobile Broadband and Skype

Options
  • 12-10-2007 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, just a quick question!

Someone I know is after buying the 3 mobile broadband modem but hasnt started using it yet. Ive been reading the sticky thread about all the problems, but the person has bought it now so i'm just hoping they'll be lucky and have a better experience, otherwise theyll be starting the battle for a refund!

Aaaanyway, my question is actually for those of you that have managed to get a relatively good service out of 3 mobile broadband- have you used skype on it/does it work well?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Skype can be a little awkward on any 3G service as the delay in the voice varies from 2/10ths of a second to 1 second. It can end up a little like talking on two way radio.

You may not get enough upload speed at times for reasonable voice quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Just a quick update on this incase anyone comes across this thread...

My friend bought the 3 modem in Ireland and is now gone to Italy with it (3 allow mobile broadband roaming in countries that they also have networks in) and Skype is working like a dream with the modem over there! Its very very clear and the webcam worked well too.

Ideally if the mobile broadband networks/systems here were as up to scratch as the one he's on in Italy then there would be no problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Three fraudband has the slowest upload speed of all the companies, 59-60 kbps, Vodafone is 300+ and o2 around the same.

From experience I wouldn't recommend 3 for anything other than the bin. It's cheaper yeah but not when you consider what you are getting. It's not broadband that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Xcellor wrote: »
    Three fraudband has the slowest upload speed of all the companies, 59-60 kbps, Vodafone is 300+ and o2 around the same.

From experience I wouldn't recommend 3 for anything other than the bin. It's cheaper yeah but not when you consider what you are getting. It's not broadband that's for sure.

I know that, I was just pointing out for anyone who is interested and doesnt have too much technical knowlege that the service isnt all round terrible- just seems to be crappy in this country, and that in the future we can (should?) hope for a much better service, since it does seem possible as in other european countries :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Upload speed is not the most important quality factor for Voice over IP, latency is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement