Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dont mean to be rude here

Options
  • 12-10-2007 11:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

Right, driving a 99 Golf. Problem is this, when i rev the car in first gear(hill starts, reverse) there is an awful smell. As the title says, i dont mean to be rude but it smells like someone farted in the car. It is awful and only happens when i rev the engine in first(3-4k). Anyone any ideas on what the problem is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Clutch burning out?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Thats exactly what i thought, thats what it smells like.

The car is still under warranty, shouldnt cost me anything to fix should it?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

A smell like rotten eggs will come from the catalytic converter if the wind is passing the right way, normally happens when the car is cold, generally nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I would have said the cat too. I've had to replace them on low mileage Golfs I've sold, so if it is that - count yourself lucky it lasted this long.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

There was a new cat put on the car about 4 weeks ago

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Melion wrote: »
    The car is still under warranty, shouldnt cost me anything to fix should it?

Clutches generally are not covered on warranties so they'll probably charge you for the work. They may get you the clutch at cost price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭2stageturbo

I reckon it's the cat.Give it a little more time

• Registered Users Posts: 22,284 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Burning clutches smell rude? Never knew that!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I would have said the cat too

:Disn't it customary to blame the dog???

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

cantdecide wrote: »
    :Disn't it customary to blame the dog???

Good night in the pub?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭landcruiserfj62

This smell is perfectly normal, means your cat is operating ok mate. You should try standing in a workshop when new car deliverys are being made! PHEW!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Good night in the pub?

Yes, I had a good night in the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

New cat, hillstarts/reversing
    smell is perfectly normal.
    (Burning clutch smells different.)
    Cat working too well and doesnt have any Hydrogen sulphide scrubbing component.
    Can happen in some new cars when fuel mixture running lean.
    Scientific explanation : http://www.swri.org/10light/catalyst.htm
    It will go with time, could try another petrol type for lower sulphur content.
    DYK Back in the day of leaded petrol, putting leaded in a car with a cat killed the cat. As an added precaution dont eat eggs before driving;)

Advertisement