Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deer stalking

• 13-10-2007 1:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Want to start deer stalking but have no idea how to start e.g deer liscence training courses.Have experience using rifles so no problem there just the legal stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭freekhead

well as far as i know u just need to apply for a deer hunting licence and have lan permission to shoot on land that is occupied by deer. Also you have to have a deer leagal calibre. I think the minium is .243 which is a very popular gun. But my local gun dealer said he has sold loads of 30-'06 lately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 17shot

Thanks for the info freakhead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

freekhead wrote: »
    Also you have to have a deer leagal calibre. I think the minium is .243 which is a very popular gun.

Thought you thought it was 223 :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

im pretty sure that the minimum calibre is .22 250....but not the best calibre if your planning on shooting red deer....243 would be a good round for red, but i use a .308 for them...they dont kick much after that...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 B80

Although 22-250 is the minimum for the moment, the mimimum is by the Irish Deer Society and Deer Alliance is .24 upwards. If you plan on hunting Red Deer .243 Winchester is borderline at best though fine for Sika or Fallow. Have had a number of long searches for reds hit with well placed shots from a .243 the same shots from any of the 6.5mm's/270's or 30 cals would not gone so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

Shot two reds this month, both heart/lung shots, one @ 200yd one @ 90 and both keel over on the spot without a kick, while 243 and 22/250, 5.6x57 will do the trick i have had the nightmare of long follow ups and tracking looking for them, im a bit of a fan (hence the name) but 6.5x55 is fantastic round, quieter and more down range energy and less kick than 270 and good for foxes too, depending on the bullet you use they dont do too much internal damage but put them to bed quickly.

Advertisement