Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just a few questions

Options
  • 13-10-2007 1:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi i want to buy a greyhound for someone as a present but i havent a clue what im at. 1st the cost? pup or otherwise. 2nd the upkeep cost. Trainer & kennals or what ever you pay for after that vet etc??

Any help at all please & thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 roccabella

Do you want a greyhound as a pet/ to race?
    If its as a pet, then no cost, greyhounds that are ex racers are usually free/ small charge and make great pets. The Irish greyhound board will be able to help www.igb.ie or I know of a few greyhounds that will need homes when they retire.
    If its for racing then the price really varies depending on how well bred they are, dogs tend to be a little more expensive than males, average price for a decently track bred bitch pup might be 800-1000euro. Normally sold at 14 weeks of age. Sporting Press is one of a few papers that advertises pups for sale. There is both track bred and coursing bred pups advertised so if interested in racing on the track, best to go for a track bred one. Greyhound pups need lots of space while growing up to a year of age, maybe 30e a week to rear a pup. Then training starts at around 14-16mths of age. Training fees per week will be more than rearing. Females 'come in season'/ 'go a miss' every 6-12mths ans so generally take a break from racing for 2 mths during this time.There is a lot to think about when buying a greyhound pup for racing. Its such an exciting sport and when you get a good one its fantastic.Also worth keeping in mind if the dog isnt so fast on the track maybe having someone lined up to take the dog on as a pet when their career is over.Again its worth checking out www.igb.ie, I think there may be information on it for new owners. If any other questions I will be happy to help, best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭chancer_007

am involved with the dogs
    good well breed pup @3 monthswould cost between 1500-1750
    sapling at 11-12 months about 2.5k
    training costs will be beween 50-70 a week depending on trainer
    be prepared to kiss goodbye to any money spent as its pot luck
    good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭manaboutdog

In the current climate a well bred dog pup(up to 6 months) can be bought for ~€1K paying any more than this is madness at the minute. (I know this because I've just sold a litter out of a proven dam(Group Comp winners) and a top stud dog.)

Expect to pay €25-€30 pw for rearing, it can be got cheaper but, to get it done right I would say this is what you should be paying.

Then ~ 50 per week for schooling early training. You will be looking at a total outlay of 2.5-3K before your first race.

PM me if you want names of reputable rearers/trainers etc

Advertisement