Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota avensis

Options
  • 13-10-2007 2:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

Getting a new company car in Jan. Am pretty sure i want an Avensis 2l diesel Luna spec.

Does anybody have any opinions/feedback about this car

And no I do not want an octavia.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,284 ✭✭✭✭Esel

See what Honest John thinks: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭macpete

:)I had 2 ,a 03 avensis d4d strata model bought 2nd hand 65k miles ,kept for 18 mts problems just the head lights had to be replaced [bulb holders melted] out side warranty with mileage, toyota supplyed parts i had to pay labour 120euro.
    I traded in for a new Aura d4d model in Jan 06 [only difference alloys and front fogs, wind up windows in back] got what i paid for 03 one after 18 mts and 26k.
    Nice comfortable solid cars, steering a little heavy, ok on fuel 46 to 53 mpg depends on driver. overall happy with both cars but i think there is a new model shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

they cant the avensis away in england coz, and i'd have to agree, its horrible looking. as far as residual value goes, they aint great. not bad if u stick with the brand though becuase of toyota's units over profits mentality...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Isn't the passat around the same price? VW is far sturdier and refined IMO It makes the Avensis feel like a tin box.

One of our sales reps has an avensis and is lookng to trade in and I suggested vw and he said his son had one and "he couldn't drive it, it's far too heavy, it's like a bloody tank".

My Mother had a courtesy '07 Avensis (when her Passat got a slap of a bus) and it had a very funny road noise. We all thought at different times there was a flat tyre....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

If it has to be an Avensis, wait till the new one comes. Don't be getting a car that will be replaced in a few months after you've just got it.

Why not a TDCi Mondeo, or Passat, or the all new Mazda 6?

• Advertisement

E92 wrote: »
    Why not a TDCi Mondeo, or Passat, or the all new Mazda 6?

OP, don't be one of those guys who ONLY drives Toyotas- they're not that good.

I'm okay now, I'll let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Táck wrote: »
    As far as residual value goes, they aint great. not bad if u stick with the brand though becuase of toyota's units over profits mentality...

What planet are you on?

In Ireland, what cars in the same class lose less money after 3 years than the Avensis? (not that it matters to a COMPANY CAR driver)

Also, Toyota is the worlds most profitable car company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭ianbrennan2000

well guys thanks for all the replys.

I drove mondeo(new model) and have to say I was not impressed. It just isn't as quiet as the avensis.

One of the other reps has a passat and it is giving terrible trouble so thats out even if I wanted one.

Depreciation is an issue in terms of the more we get for this car in 3 years time the better the car I can get then

Anybody know when new mazda 6 and avensis are coming.

Car has to be replaced in January.

I have an 06 focus van that will have 95-100k km on it when trade in comes.

Ford garages want 20k to change valuing my car at 13800

toyota want 18900 to change valuing my car at 14300. do these prices seem ok

Thanks again

Unusual for Ford to beaten on one of their own brand. Figures sound about right.

One of the other reps has a passat and it is giving terrible trouble so thats out even if I wanted one.

You can't have these blanket all encompassing rules. If you don't want one, can't you just say you don't want one and leave it at that? I just gave you an example of Avensis with mysterious noise- doesn't that mean it's now automatically ruled out by that logic??

Is it possible trouble is related to abuse/ neglect? Mid '05s Passats were the first out so probably had teething problems. This too could happen to new Avensis.

Buy your Avensis, you know that's what you're going to do anyway and you'll live happily ever after...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If it's a Luna it'll be the 2.2 6 speed in the Lexus IS AFAIK not 2.0

no sol is 2.2 and also out of my price range.

At cantdecide yes your right passat is 05 and gave trouble straight away so hardly down to abuse.

not defo gonna get an avensis i did test one and I heard no road noise like I did in new mondeo. When I said passat is out of the question the company just wont get another one as we buy cars not lease them and it been more hassle than its worth

Thanks again for feedback

The Luna is available in 2.0 and 2.2 D-4D

The sol is available in 2.0 petrol only, The 2.4 petrol has the same spec as the sol with leather pack (whick all Sols have now) but isn't called a Sol

Sol isn't available in diesel

The 2.2 in the Avensis has less power than the IS anyway.

150 as opposed to 177 bhp for the Lexus.

OP you would be mad to get an Avensis, there is a new one on the way soon, any self respecting dealer won't tell you this because they will be mad to get rid of old stock, but I'm telling you that there will be one on our shores sooner rather than later next year.

The original Avensis came into the country in Jan 98.

The second generation Avensis came into the country in March 03.

Thats 5 years and 2 months. It would not be unreasonable to expect to see a new Avensis around May next year. It might even get in a bit earlier, because Toyota will be mad to sell it in time for the new year rush if they can(50% of cars sold are sold in the first 3 months of the year).

Incidentally I love the way you rule out a Passat because one person had trouble with, one member of this board(Its not me) has spoken endless times about his family's unreliable Avensis.

And cantdecide has also mentioned about a faulty Avensis. Going by that logic you shouldn't be buying an Avensis, because of 1 or 2 cases about a car being unreliable/having faults. If you're ruling out a Passat because of 1 person's experience, then you should be ruling out an Avensis because we've already had cantdecide tell us that his mum had a 07 one as a courtesy car and it was sounding weird.

Who told you there was a new Avensis coming in May?

Also Toyota Europe aren't going to launch a major car like the Avensis early especially for the Irish market.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Longrangedriver

well guys thanks for all the replys.

I drove mondeo(new model) and have to say I was not impressed. It just isn't as quiet as the avensis.

I bought a new Zetec 1.8 TDCi, every now & again I lower down the radio to hear nothing, yes you heard me right, and everyone @ work etc whose been in the car says its very quiet.

I've driven the new Mondeo, and I don't think it's noisy.

If Toyota were launching the Avensis next Spring/Summer it would have been at a motor show already.

When I say the passat is ruled out it is not me but the company that is ruling it out. I think they are a fine car I'm just not allowed to get one. I know you can get unreliable cars no matter what brand you buy.

Right Ive taken everything on board I cant wait for new avensis to come out but have heard new mazda 6 is coming out late November so gonna give that a spin as well

the new Mazda6 looks very well,

VERY Lexus IS towards the back.
    mazda_6_small.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Right Ive taken everything on board I cant wait for new avensis to come out but have heard new mazda 6 is coming out late November so gonna give that a spin as well

New Mazda 6 has been driven by journalists and gets a stonkingly good review by Autocar:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Mazda-6-2.5/228556/

It's available in 2.0 diesel at launch. There will also be a 2.2 diesel later in the year AFAIK.

• Advertisement

Usually the UK motoring press give Japanese cars great reviews before a car is launched and they have "exclusive" test drives, and rave about the build quality and standard spec.
    As soon as the car is available to the public, they will do a group test against the usual suspects and suddenly notice all these flaws that they missed while they were thrashing the car around the back roads of Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Usually the UK motoring press give Japanese cars great reviews before a car is launched and they have "exclusive" test drives, and rave about the build quality and standard spec.
    As soon as the car is available to the public, they will do a group test against the usual suspects and suddenly notice all these flaws that they missed while they were thrashing the car around the back roads of Spain.

Or they'll grudgingly admit a Japanese car is dynamically excellent, 'best in class' etc. Then when the time comes for a group-test, end-of-year review etc. they'll wheel out the Clio, Golf or Mondeo and ignore the Japanese car they praised to high-heavens a few months previously... Either that or they'll dismiss it with the catch-all complaint that it 'lacks character'...:rolleyes:

The European manufacturers must give away more generous goody bags at press launches...

The mazda is nice hadn't seen that before I will defo be considering that.

It also appears that the 2.0l d is going to be around 140bhp.

I just hope the waiting list isn't too long.

If Toyota were launching the Avensis next Spring/Summer it would have been at a motor show already.

When the last Avensis came out in March they only sent it to a motor show at Christmas 02.

The Auris made its European debut at the Bologna Motor Show. It was between the 7th and 16th of December. The Auris was put on sale in March this year.

See the Bologna Motor Show website and Toyota's European website.

The Toyota one says and I quote:

"The 2006 Bologna Motor Show marks the European premiere of the Toyota Auris, few months before its launch across Europe during the first quarter of 2007".

I don't have a Crystal Ball but I do know that Toyota generally tends to bring out cars to the market very quickly after they give them their European debut.

So if Toyota brings out a new Avensis in January next, then it will in all probability be here in time for April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

Getting a new company car in Jan. Am pretty sure i want an Avensis 2l diesel Luna spec.

Does anybody have any opinions/feedback about this car

And no I do not want an octavia.

hi there, i had that car, the new avensis luna diesel sloon, let me say this from experience..i bought it new, and sold it after 6 months.

1. good car, fuel economy great was getting avg 50+mpg. 820km avg per full tank, tested this loads of times...

2. horrible dated looking and boring, horribly boring and dull.

3. good reliability, and space inside and nice sized boot.

i got rid of it as i got so bored of it... its looks like something a priest would drive haha..:D

overall it does exactly what it says on the tin.. but JUST that.... gets u from A to B in the most boring way possible...:D

the problem with toyotas is that you get so bored of them quickly..

i got an accord instead, and its far superior , in looks and to drive, its a more exciting drive...

i would advise against buying the current avensis.. hold off, look at the mazda 6, another good jap car, or the accord, 2.2 diesel, the accord diesel is available in sport spec now for around €39k...

theres a new accord due now soon as well.. but i knew that when i bought mine..no reliability issues with honda.....the accords are built in Japan... and in my opinion, from experience of owning both, the accord is much better put together than the avensis.......

A good clue as to when Toyota are planning a new model is when they start offering high spec editions of the model for less money than usual (Avensis 1.6 Luna (03) , Corolla 1.4 Luna (06), Yaris Strata (05),) This hasn't happened with the Avensis yet.

whatcar: I agree that the Accord is nicer to drive and better inside than the Avensis, but as it costs around €6k more than the Avensis, so it'd want to be!
    I think you aimed too low when you picked the Avensis (I remember when you bought it) It's not meant to compete with the likes of the Accord or similarly priced machines.

A good clue as to when Toyota are planning a new model is when they start offering high spec editions of the model for less money than usual (Avensis 1.6 Luna (03) , Corolla 1.4 Luna (06), Yaris Strata (05),) This hasn't happened with the Avensis yet.

whatcar: I agree that the Accord is nicer to drive and better inside than the Avensis, but as it costs around €6k more than the Avensis, so it'd want to be!
    I think you aimed too low when you picked the Avensis (I remember when you bought it) It's not meant to compete with the likes of the Accord or similarly priced machines.

isnt the accord in the same size/class as the avensis..?

dont get me wrong, the practical side of the avensis, was nice, its just the way it was dressed........it needs new clothes...and new designers too..
    also very little choice, in spec wise.. like for example, why was the estate only available in bog basic spec?... u can get a passat estate in high spec..why not an avensis.. ... why not diesel auto too......... do toyota have a suggestion box? they should spend their money on giving customers more choice, not more poxy tv ads!:D

volvo and honda have already learned, that its easier to include stuff as standard spec...and possibly cheaper too..........

on the subject of choice, i see from nissans new website that theres no sign of the patrol ( i mentioned in an earlier thread that its end of life in ireland) and the primera is gone too.!

is this the sign of things to come, smaller cars?

cheers

The cheapest Avensis is €26,000. the cheapest Accord is €36,500. The Accord is at the premium end of the market. It outclasses the Passat, Mondeo, Vectra etc. which are the models Toyota are aiming for with the Avensis.

The Lexus IS220d is only €2k away from the Accord CTDI As far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

what_car wrote: »
    isnt the accord in the same size/class as the avensis..?

The Accord is in the same class as the Camry.

• Advertisement

GB15 wrote: »
    The Accord is in the same class as the Camry.

ok i get you, but wasnt the camry bigger...
    anyways i rekon that smaller cars will be the way things go in the near future,
    with nissan taking away the primera and patrol. ie manufacturers downsizing/discontinuing their products
    with oil getting scarcer,
    i rekon small diesels like the 1.4 corolla etc will be more common....

Advertisement