Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Metal That Sounds Like Other Metal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Ha, Maiden and Megadeth seem to be the biggest culprits.
    The Reign in Blood one is very obvious, but yeah some of them I just don't hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Largely, whether he's clutching at straws or not, I just don't care. Similarities will crop up all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Similarities will crop up all the time.

There's no doubting that, 'similarities'. Where you might here a new song and go that kinda reminds of X, or that kinda sounds like Y.
    But then there is just plain ripping off which is evident some of those clips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

very interesting.

maiden are def big culprits. But cmon everyone knows mustaine co-wrote horsemen and that mechanix was the original version of horsemen. What next this guy will tell us the sky is blue :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

DeadSkin wrote: »
    There's no doubting that, 'similarities'. Where you might here a new song and go that kinda reminds of X, or that kinda sounds like Y.
    But then there is just plain ripping off which is evident some of those clips.

Exactly, there's quite a difference between something sounding similar to something else and being an exact copy of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I know what you guys are saying, but how do you know a band actually intended to steal something, instead of coming up with something very similar by accident? Not saying that none of the bands stole anything, but it's hard to say that they did steal a riff for definite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

It happens more often than you think, I remember fellow boardsie coming up with a savage intro for a song when we were in a band together. We worked on the song based around this riff (which was centered around a very odd chord) and then Stone Sour brought out their album a few months later and his riff was there on one of the tracks.

On a related note, Earth's album Earth2 features a load of Slayer riffs slowed right down to 0.5bpm. I think Dylan Carlson used to learn off a new Slayer song for each Earth show and then just extended the song out to an hour with the same number of notes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

he goes hard on megadeth in volume 2.
    i think its ok if their own songs sound are a bit similar to eachother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Linkin Park's "What I've Done" not only references the Halloween theme in the intro, but uses the entire chord structure (with the addition of one chord at the end of the verse) from the Offspring's "Gone Away".

The center of Avenged Sevenfold's "Bat Country" is a direct (almost note-for-note) homage to a Deep Purple song (can't remember which one).

Creative Borrowing has been around for a long time....long before Jimmy Page turned it into an art form. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Not in the vid but should be..Saxon blatantly nicked the Victim of changes riff for The eagle has landed :p

I knew Running Wild and The Wicker man would be in there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Fallen Seraph

He's got a point with some of them, but I really thought that a lot of the iron maiden ones had nothing other than superficial resemblences. I mean, the notes were the same, but the tone, the atmosphere of the music was completely different.

Moreover, it pissed me off that he made the "connection" between "The Four Horsemen" and "Mechanix". As was my understanding, Mustaine wrote that riff while he was in Metallica. How unreasonable of him to re-use his own riff...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭Music4life

He's got a point with some of them, but I really thought that a lot of the iron maiden ones had nothing other than superficial resemblences. I mean, the notes were the same, but the tone, the atmosphere of the music was completely different.

Moreover, it pissed me off that he made the "connection" between "The Four Horsemen" and "Mechanix". As was my understanding, Mustaine wrote that riff while he was in Metallica. How unreasonable of him to re-use his own riff...
    I agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Using an instrument that has only a set number of frequencies, you'll eventually come up with like-sounding noise.

You may see the words "influenced by... X, Y, and Z" but to me that means you'll hear some of X, Y, and Z in their music... but ZOMG... to hear X, Y, and Z in the music, you'll need to hear riffs that sound like X, Y, or Z... and thus they'll be labelled as stealing X's music, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

and those songs are from the last 40 years.
    and its generally a big band and a diffrent bands we have never heard of.

i am sure if you took any song from a band and went looking you could find a song somewhere that sounds like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭klaus flouride

i am sure if you took any song from a band and went looking you could find a song somewhere that sounds like it[/QUOTE]

But some of those clips are uncannily alike. Some of them are a bit stretched though. The Danzig 'twist of cain' from Led Zep's 'Dazed and confused' is one of the better ones, but if you listen to the whole of the Danzig song by the time its more than 30 minutes into the song it does sound completely different- but the intro is definitely ripped off. Remeber 'Voodoo People' by the Prodigy? Liam Howlett (of the Prodigy) thought nobody would notice if he threw in a sample of 'very ape' by nirvana - he got the guitarist from 'pop will eat itself' to record it; but by the time he had the record finished it was obvious where the riff came from, but it sounded so good he decided to release it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Dream Theaters Octavarium is a blatant rip off of Shine on You Crazy Diamond by Pink Floyd. I remember hearing it and being shocked at how similar they are!

Advertisement