Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What are your favourite engine types?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭napplechunks

Mercedes straight-six 2.8 Litre - very growly and fast !

Cadillac '69 7.7 litre V8 rated @ 375bhp & 525lbft - a tyre-spinning MONSTER
    :cool:
    Though not for the faint hearted!

Cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭Rob987

V6
    I have previously owned an E46 325ci - straight six obviously and the sweetest sounding engine. That is, until I got a Porsche (987) Boxster S 3.2 - simply stunning when you pull away in 3rd up to the limit. Flat 6 any day....music to one's ears.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

What?!? No flat twin?:mad::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

5 cylinder
    macplaxton wrote: »
    What?!? No flat twin?:mad::D
    This forum is for cars!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Does this thread remind anyone else of Father Ted?

Fr. Purcell: Whats your favourite humming noise? Would it be mmm-mmmmm or would it be mmmm-mm? The first one there, now thats the sound of a fridge; and the second one, thats the sound of a man humming. You never hear a woman humming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

flat 4
    hey, there is no option here to vote for the W12 Bentley engine? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

flat 6
    You left out two important engine configurations ie the single and twin.

183052.jpg
    fiat-500-old.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

V10
    Yea no Wenkel engine choice either???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

V6
    Forget 4 pots, especially Honda V-Tech engines, they make the worst noise possible IMO, like a Vespa ! :D

The thing with modern cars is that the CAT's usually restrict the aural pleasure and forced induction do the same to the inlet noise.

The BMW 6 have a lovely induction roar, which is nicer that the V8's, but the latter has a far better exhaust note especially in uncatalysed form. Hard to beat a Yankee muscle car, especially at low RPM's juts gurgling past. No other engine can give that bassy rumble.

The Flat 6 Porsche is superb, the howl when it comes on cam is awesome and as mentioned the ur-quattro has a lovely off-beath thrum. Incidentally i thought Volvo dropped the 5cyl. engines a few years back ....no ?

The AMG Kompressor cars are nice and loud and do generate a NASCAR-esque type track.

A lot of the Ferrari's now have v8's with flat plane cranks, like some TVR's, and to me they sound awful, as do the V10 BMW's.

V12's in general are so smooth it can be hard to hear them, but the later Astons sound the best IMO.

BTW its apart from the cylinder layout, its the firing order, as determined by the camshaft, that distinguishes the sound and makes certain engines unique. Not all with similar layouts are the same, its the actual noise of air being sucked, compressed and blown out that makes the noise.

A ford V8 sounds different to a small block Chevy, the latter being much nicer !

I think the carb fed Alfa 3.0V6 is possibly the nicest I have heard ! :D

Anyone remember the feature that Classic Cars did on "Classic Engines", a whole series a few years back, it was pretty cool !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭Rob987

V6
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWt9JYstbc4

Very short and sweet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭blackbox

Can't beat the noise off the old formula one V12s at full chat.

V10s may work better but they sound like motorbikes by comaprison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

the fock is steam?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

1.4 petrol, internal combustion,when I fill the tank ....only now an then, light body all around it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

flat 6
    the fock is steam?:eek:
    And Battery.

Advertisement