Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teacher and 2 students shot with pellet gun , in School in Cabra

• 13-10-2007 3:02pm

I just had this news about St Declans school in cabra. I am from cabra myself and everybody is talking about it here. This school is situated across the road from a local football park we call the Bogies . The teacher was bringing his class across the road to it (1 minute walk) a man with a gun held the whole class and asked everybody to empty their pockets . Everybody did so. Next i dont know what happened but 2 students were shot with the gun and so was the teacher.

What i dont understand is this has not been on any news ? Has anybody else heard of this ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

when was this? must have a look for a news link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Never heard a thing, I was in the school yesterday and today. I was talking to the caretaker yesterday and today, I teach some of the lads in that school (Taekwon-Do) not a sausage said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

It's a pellet gun, not a 9mm uzi. That's why it's not in the news.

meh, pellet guns make the news too. Remember the child shot in the north not long ago?
    Also a bus was shot by pellet gun weilding maniacs in Finglas - that made the news too.

Jon wrote: »
    Never heard a thing, I was in the school yesterday and today. I was talking to the caretaker yesterday and today, I teach some of the lads in that school (Taekwon-Do) not a sausage said.

I will see if i can get more info. I heard it from another teacher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

meh, pellet guns make the news too. Remember the child shot in the north not long ago?
    Also a bus was shot by pellet gun weilding maniacs in Finglas - that made the news too.
    Why on earth would being shot by a pellet gun make the news? It was a fairly common occurence in my school, and happened to me on numerous occasions. Thankfully though it was with plastic pellets and not ball bearings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

Yeah apparently there was a 'drive-by' shooting in Cork not too long ago. It turned out that after hearing that shocking headline it was a 'drive-by' pellet gun shooting.

Blowfish wrote: »
    Why on earth would being shot by a pellet gun make the news? It was a fairly common occurence in my school, and happened to me on numerous occasions. Thankfully though it was with plastic pellets and not ball bearings.

I thinl peeps may be getting confused with BB guns and actual pellet guns.

BB guns are the toy yokes you bring back from Spain that fire smallplastic balls with not a lot of pace.
    Pellet guns are illegal, and although not classes as a fire arm, they fire small METAL projectiles at a very high pace, enough to pierce skin and at close range kill.

It all depends now on whether this actual hold up was with a BB gun or an actual pellet gun

BB guns are the toy yokes you bring back from Spain that fire smallplastic balls with not a lot of pace.
    Pellet guns are illegal, and although not classes as a fire arm, they fire small METAL projectiles at a very high pace, enough to pierce skin and at close range kill.

It all depends now on whether this actual hold up was with a BB gun or an actual pellet gun

A pellet gun would only kill if shot point blank in the face. Again they are nowhere near news worthy imo. Maybe in a small aside mention but nothing major.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Amateurs...

NTM

• Advertisement

point blank.. same as close range!

Its not only the fact that 2 people were alledgedly shot with it, a whole class was held up and robbed in broad day light!

Kinda news worthy that, but alas nothing. Did it even happen?

Amateurs...

NTM

I was wondering what you meant until I saw where you were from :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Amateurs...

NTM

whats NTM and why do you feel the need to put at the end of all your posts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

'Pellet guns' most certainly are classified as firearms, and must be licenced as such. They are not illegal, unless unlicensed, just like any other firearm.

Under recently amended legislation, anything ('gun' shaped) that discharges a projectile with a muzzle energy of more than 1 Joule is by definition, a firearm.
    This covers everything (BB guns, pellet guns, regular firearms) except Airsoft guns, which can only fire small (6mm) plastic balls at low velocity. They cannot fire metallic (lead/steel) ammunition, as their internal mechanisms can't handle the weight of the projectile, and they don't generate enough power to shove them out the barrel.
    Have a look at the Airsoft & Paintball Forum for more details, and a much more expert explanation.

The term 'BB gun' has recently begun to encompass Airsoft guns as mentioned above (which includes the plastic Spanish things), but it more correctly applies to an airgun designed to fire spherical lead or steel balls of BB birdshot size (approx. 4.5mm). 'BB' is not shorthand for Ball Bearing.
    These definitely fall into the 'firearm' category, as defined in the legislation.

Anyhow, a crime committed with a replica/toy/lookalike firearm is (or at least, is supposed to be) treated just as seriously as the same crime committed with a real firearm, and the perpetrator has no grounds for complaint if they are met with an 'extreme' response during the course of their activities.

The ones I was talking about could handle metal pellets as well as plastic ones, they were just 'kind' enough to use the plastic ones when it came to shooting people.

Rovi wrote: »
    'Pellet guns' most certainly are classified as firearms, and must be licenced as such. They are not illegal, unless unlicensed, just like any other firearm.

Under recently amended legislation, anything ('gun' shaped) that discharges a projectile with a muzzle energy of more than 1 Joule is by definition, a firearm.
    This covers everything (BB guns, pellet guns, regular firearms) except Airsoft guns, which can only fire small (6mm) plastic balls at low velocity. They cannot fire metallic (lead/steel) ammunition, as their internal mechanisms can't handle the weight of the projectile, and they don't generate enough power to shove them out the barrel.
    Have a look at the Airsoft & Paintball Forum for more details, and a much more expert explanation.

The term 'BB gun' has recently begun to encompass Airsoft guns as mentioned above (which includes the plastic Spanish things), but it more correctly applies to an airgun designed to fire spherical lead or steel balls of BB birdshot size (approx. 4.5mm). 'BB' is not shorthand for Ball Bearing.
    These definitely fall into the 'firearm' category, as defined in the legislation.

Anyhow, a crime committed with a replica/toy/lookalike firearm is (or at least, is supposed to be) treated just as seriously as the same crime committed with a real firearm, and the perpetrator has no grounds for complaint if they are met with an 'extreme' response during the course of their activities.

Grand so, wasn't aware of new legislation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

KamiKazi wrote: »
    whats NTM and why do you feel the need to put at the end of all your posts?

My initials. I'm one of those people who signs the end of all his posts. There are a few of us on here that do that (and on the Web at large), I'm fairly sure there was a thread on it at some point.

NTM

point blank.. same as close range!

Its not only the fact that 2 people were alledgedly shot with it, a whole class was held up and robbed in broad day light!

Kinda news worthy that, but alas nothing. Did it even happen?

Point blank is actually closer than close range, its extreme close range. There is a more technical explanation for it but its not that important so I wont bother with it here.

Edit: I doubt it actually happened

HMMM.. define close?

There is no set measurement for close really is there, close could be one millimetre from touching

' aimed or fired straight at the mark esp. from close range '

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/point%20blank

Anyways its all semantics, I doubt it happened either.

There is no set measurement for close really is there, close could be one millimetre from touching

Actually there is a technical explanation to define it, and its dependent on the gun, but its also OT.

I seriously doubt that the incident as described in the OPs post would have went unreported, its either totally exaggerated or didn't happen at all IMO.

• Advertisement

Another widely misunderstood term, so in the interests of completeness-
    Point Blank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

There was a similar incident that happened 2 years ago reported in todays paper as the court case in ongoing now

19 yr old man pleaded guilty to 'recklessly discharging a firearm and intentional or reckless endangerment of the victim' for shooting a 8yr old boy in the neck and remanded in custody for sentencing.
    The man had said he was shooting birds on a fence with a pellet gun and pellets accidentally hit the kids neck who was lucky to be alive as it missed vital organ bits in the boys neck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

School shootings? In Ireland? Go way out of that.

Doubt it happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The ones I was talking about could handle metal pellets as well as plastic ones, they were just 'kind' enough to use the plastic ones when it came to shooting people.

That is a common misconception. The ammunition is not interchangeable.

There are things called airguns. They fire a lead/metal/steel pellet projectile. Most you'll see you have to "break" to load each shot. They are consider firearms and fire at least 7 joules or so. They can penetrate the skin. In most cases, they are not replica firearms. In that they do not look like a "real gun". They're used in everything from competition shooting to killing vermin.

Then there are airsoft guns. (Which is the correct term for what most people call "pellet guns"...a "pellet gun" is actually another term for an airgun) Airsofts fire small plastic spherical projectiles. Most at under 1 joule of power. If they are under 1 joule, they are no longer considered a firearm in Ireland.
    They can not penetrate the skin and can be used in skirmish games similar to paintball. In most cases, they will replicate the look of a "real gun".

The confusion between the two by the public causes quite a lot of trouble as you can imagine. Especially for airsofters. One is a firearm. The other is not.

Heh, I got shot with an airgun (according to your definition) by my brother once as a joke. I think it was one of those as it fits your description well (break between shots, metal ammo, unique non-replica appearance). Still, wasn't anything too serious though, and I couldn't see it being lethal except at very very close range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

indough wrote: »
    Heh, I got shot with an airgun (according to your definition) by my brother once as a joke. I think it was one of those as it fits your description well (break between shots, metal ammo, unique non-replica appearance). Still, wasn't anything too serious though, and I couldn't see it being lethal except at very very close range.

Yep, that would have been an airgun. They come in different calibers and power. You were lucky enough to have been shot with a low powered one. Even still, it was assault with a firearm. You should have your brother locked up :p

On a more serious note, what's really annoying is that airsoft is always tied in whenever there's a report of airgun crimes. Especially in Irish media. Simply because so many people bought airsoft guns in Spain, incorrectly call them "pellet guns" and think they're all the same. When in actual fact they're two completely different things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Shocking......someone got shot in Cabra :eek::rolleyes:GTFO!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭16airassualt

how would you know or in fact anyone for that matter that this gun could also use metal pellets if only plastic ones were discharged??this confirms my suspisions that you heard this story down the hairdressers while getting your perm done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

indough wrote: »
    A pellet gun would only kill if shot point blank in the face. Again they are nowhere near news worthy imo. Maybe in a small aside mention but nothing major.

I think someone who is willing to pull any kind of firearm on a class of kids deserve a mention in the news?

• Advertisement

how would you know or in fact anyone for that matter that this gun could also use metal pellets if only plastic ones were discharged??this confirms my suspisions that you heard this story down the hairdressers while getting your perm done
    :rolleyes:. How do I know for a fact? I don't. All I know is that when you are getting shot by plastic pellets and the scumbags say something along the lines of "hey, maybe we'll use the metal pellets next time", sticking around to question the validity of whether or not the equipment they are using can really fire metal pellets isn't exactly the most pressing thing on your mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

can't say I'm all that surprised... alot of that sort of stuff these days, in my school rockets are being lit and aimed at other students and even into the primary school yard across the way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What they should use is potato guns. Now that packs some punch.
    Also ammo is easily accessible.

biko wrote: »
    Indeed: http://www.spudtech.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Rovi wrote: »

my friends wanted to make one of them before but we were worried of the laws here and blowing ourselves up

also thanks to Rovi for clearing up a lot of misconception

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Vegeta wrote: »
    my friends wanted to make one of them before but we were worried of the laws here and blowing ourselves up
    I'm very curious about which of those two you were more worried about? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

biko wrote: »

If the spud isn't causing famine, t'is putting out people's eyes in pellet form.:p

Combine the two-get your blight infected potato ammo and do damage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

With class sizes so big these days it's probably very profitable to hold one up for their lunch money. Although it'd be tough making a getaway with all that change!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ellie22

I am a teacher and today a 10 year old child brought what i think was a BB gun into school (looked like a toy gun and had a jar of small plastic balls to use with it?) Is this type of gun illegal? The child shot another child in the face with it, missing the eye by an inch. Can these guns be bought in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

ellie22 wrote: »
    I am a teacher and today a 10 year old child brought what i think was a BB gun into school (looked like a toy gun and had a jar of small plastic balls to use with it?) Is this type of gun illegal? The child shot another child in the face with it, missing the eye by an inch. Can these guns be bought in Ireland?

They are illegal but people bring them home from their holidays. The little brat by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Lux23 wrote: »
    They are illegal but people bring them home from their holidays. The little brat by the way.

Whats being described is an airsoft gun which is completely legal and can be bought in Ireland (though there might be an age restriction - 16+ maybe?).

(Also, springers of that sort are under the 1J limit, so unless its quite literally point blank then the worst that will happen is a bloodshot eye and some crying).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

No Lux23, they're NOT illegal, as long as their muzzle energy is less than 1J.

Have a read here.
    It is illegal to shoot someone with it, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

ellie22 wrote: »

A 10yr old shouldn't have one of these in school anymore than they should be allowed smoke in class.
    Might not be a lethal weapon but it's not acceptable behavior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Lux23 wrote: »

why do people feel the neeed to talk about things they dont understand?

they are NOT illegal, theres a whole forum under sport about airsoft, please

research before posting about airsoft

:cool::cool::cool:

Advertisement