Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Netopia 2247NWG modem as switch

Options
  • 13-10-2007 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've got a Smart modem/router downstairs. I've a long LAN cable running upstairs to a desktop machine. However, I want more ethernet access points upstairs.

I have a spare former eircom 2247NWG modem/router. It has four ethernet ports. Is it possible to plug the long cable into one of these ports (say in port 1), then plug the desktop and Xbox into ports 2 and 3, and they can access the internet through the first port?

Thanks.
    Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

can't see a problem in doing that.

ensure that the netopia's dhcp server is turned off and is on the same IP range just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

humaxf1 wrote: »

ensure that the netopia's dhcp server is turned off and is on the same IP range just to be sure.
    Good stuff. Also put the Netopia into bridge mode from the expert config menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eoinoc333

Cool, this is good to hear.

I've been told that the long cable running to downstairs should be a crossover cable for this to work.Does this sound right to ye?

Thanks.
    Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

eoinoc333 wrote: »
    Cool, this is good to hear.

I've been told that the long cable running to downstairs should be a crossover cable for this to work.Does this sound right to ye?

Thanks.
    Eoin
    A crossover is used when connecting two PCs without any router/switch in between. I'm using a patch cable in my setup, running from a switch to the Netopia.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eoinoc333

This worked fine for me. Thanks for the help.

Eoin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Griffinx

humaxf1 wrote: »

I want to do the same thing..could someone give some more detail as to the various setting to enable this.

Thanks,

Gx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Griffinx wrote: »
    I want to do the same thing..could someone give some more detail as to the various setting to enable this.

Thanks,

Gx

He pretty much covered it. Find and turn off the DHCP server and manually give it an IP address in the subnet of the router (so that you can contact it).
    ethernet wrote: »
    A crossover is used when connecting two PCs without any router/switch in between. I'm using a patch cable in my setup, running from a switch to the Netopia.

I know this post is old, but you do use a crossover cable to go from switch to switch. Although, almost all soho switches will autosense these days so it isn't an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Griffinx

Thanks for the reply. Does it make a difference which port of the eircom router you plug in the main router?

I've done everything as directed but if I plug a computer into the 2nd box, I don't get an IP address from the main router

Advertisement