Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Net1 broadband

Options
  • 13-10-2007 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

Im interested in getting Net1 broadband seaming as i live in a broadband blackspot. I can see the mountain in Cavan where their closest signal to me comes from. I think some trees might obscure the signal to my house though. Does anyone know how they set up their dish at your house? does it have to be near your PC, or can it be anywhere on your house? does it even go on your roof or a pole on your roof maybe, for a clear view of their mast? Plus a lot of people say it will be the next millenium by the time they set it up? :) Any answers to these questions will be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mossy74

I too live in a BB blackspot, Net1 was my only option which I was a bit concerned about but it appears so far that my concerns were unfounded as I'm getting decent throughput and low latency. I could see my closest base station which is only a few miles away but the engineers who came to install the antenna said that there were trees in the way so yes trees can be a problem. However they were able to see a different base station in Dundalk which is a good 40Kms away which they used! The antenna is a small box mounted on a sturdy (large) steel bracket bolted to the side of your house facing the base station. The antenna is powered over ethernet so basically you have a power lead coming from a socket going into a PoE adapter. One cable leaves the adapter going to the antenna and another to the NIC on your PC. so yes your PC will need to be relatively close to the antenna unless you don't mind an unsightly Cat 5 cable running through your house! What I have done is used a wireless router in my attic (you will need 2 power sockets - one for the PoE and one for the router). This works very well and I don't have any unsightly cables on show. They were a little slow in coming out - If you tell them that you have line of sight to the base station and that they therefore don't need to do a site survey it will speed things up significantly. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I would mostly echo what mossy74 has said.

I got Net1 in 3 months ago, and I have to say its been very good. The time taken to get the installation organised was a bit of a pain, but its soon forgotten with the decent and synchronous download and upload speeds. As I'm in a deep dark blackspot, I had my antenna mounted on the side of a shed, on top of a 20ft scaffolding pole, with around 30-40 feet of cat5 running into where my router is. I made the point of entering the cable in the same spot as where the cables from my Sky dish comes in.

As for service, I was a bit concerned in high winds that my antenna would be exposed and prone to moving, but the best gales in November didn't move it. I had some DNS issues this morning, but these have cleared up. Otherwise, very good.

In all, I'm very happy with Net1. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

Out of interest how much is Net1??

Prices are on their website. The install price varies with the package you go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Awful company ,known from personal experience. Spent the last 18 months just trying to get them to do a line test, and after they finally did it, they sent out a contract, stating installiation would happen in 2 to 3 weeks. Its now about 2 months later,and despite alot of phone calls, no dice.
    On the other hand though, do know people in area who have them, they say if you manage to actually get the broadband, its excellant, with consistant speeds, and the network hardly ever falls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 lodey

After about 2 years of trying to get NET1 to do a line of site I have given up hope on ever getting them. Thankfully the exchange has now been enabled near me so its UTV broadband. I would advise to stay away from net1

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

Told them a while back that there was a line of sight, without them having to check for it. Net1 installed the connection last Tuesday. Going absolutely great, on 3mb package. Heres my isp speed test;

214586241.png

Im very satisfied with the connection and have had no problems at all.

Well, got mine in today.Happy with the product, service leaves a whole planet full to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭gingerGiant

Does anybody know where there highsites are, I can see a couple of hills with masts on them from my house, but dont know if there on them.

Mt Oriel would be the one with best L.O.S, totally clear but maybe a bit far away at 17 Km. Can anybody confirm they are on Mt Oriel and what is the maximum distance you can be from the highsite.

99.999% certain they are on Mount Oriel. I'm pretty sure this was their first mast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

There's one or two Net1 antennae pointing at Mt. Oriel where I live so yes they're based there. They're in Dundalk also on the chorus tower I believe. Not sure where else in Louth. There's one in Julianstown but that has poor coverage being based in a valley and all. They also ran a GBS in Clogherhead/Grangebellew so there's some sort of transmitter in that area also.

Digiweb's FWA product and Irish Broadband Breeze wireless is there, though the range of IBB is about 10km or less. The longest Digiweb FWA connection I've seen is my own at 8.9 km but I'm sure it can go longer than that.

And if I understand this thread correctly, 40 km can be achieved with Net1 (A phenomenal distance for wireless broadband) and they seem the sort of company who'll go to some lengths to get a connection, once they do call to your house.

They really should post up a list of their transmitters as it would be more informative than that hard-to-read coverage map.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They won't, one of their transmitters in Cavan has been vandalised at least twice by the Luddite Locals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭rav1410

There's one on Cavan Hill (Between Knockbridge and Dundalk) and yes they are defo on Mt Oriel as this is the mast I'm on, Im only half a Mile away from Cavan hill but cant see the mast cause of a hill. Im quite a good distance away from Mt Oriel so the speeds arn't that great,

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭gingerGiant

Thanks guys for the info, I'm too far from Mt. Oriel for IBB or Digiweb and had given up on Net1 due to thinking the distance would be too great for them also,in addition them not answering phone and never calling back gives a very poor impression.

Rav1410 when you say speeds are not great what do you mean, anyone else with them and about 15-20 km from the highsite care to share your expierences, also does anyone what make of equipment they use, someone told me it was alvarion like IBB but I don't think it works any further than 10km.

At this stage they look my only hope as even though my exchange is enabled the line still fails due to being almost 9 km in length.:mad:

Hi Ginger.

Ok. I first got them in in the summer of 2005, Very bad start, for about 6 months they were very slow and most of the time it didn't work at all.

After that the reliability greatly improved but the speeds still stayed very slow. EG. Somewhere between 10-20Kbps when downloading a file.

Its taken this long for things to improve but finally they have. I'm now consistently getting 1.5MB (around 100-150Kbps depending on the site) down and 3MB up, I have a feeling I was put onto the higher package but still getting charged for the lower one. This is because of 2 years of complaining.

Basically when you get them in the product is quite good, But the service and support is non-existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Net1 started off very good for me but as time went by their service went to the dogs. I've been trying to cancel my service with them for the last couple of months and cant even manage to do that! They never answer the phone any longer.

I find there download speeds through http or download manager are excellent, normally around 200kb/s on my 3mb connection, but is anyone else think Net 1 trottling torrent clients? I've tried different clients[Bit Torrent, Bit Torrento, Arenzus,although uTorrent seems to be the most consistant speeds] and different connection settings, but to no avail. If I'm lucky, it will download at around 60 kp/s , ocassionally staying at around 100 kp/s, but some torrents, it go's no higher than about 10 kp/s[basically dial up x2]. 2 friends of mine also having similar problems- any the rest of you?

I use eMule and have to say its the same but i dont think they throttle, as it still does appear quite fast considering what connection speed I used to have (dial up)

I find there download speeds through http or download manager are excellent, normally around 200kb/s on my 3mb connection, but is anyone else think Net 1 trottling torrent clients? I've tried different clients[Bit Torrent, Bit Torrento, Arenzus,although uTorrent seems to be the most consistant speeds] and different connection settings, but to no avail. If I'm lucky, it will download at around 60 kp/s , ocassionally staying at around 100 kp/s, but some torrents, it go's no higher than about 10 kp/s[basically dial up x2]. 2 friends of mine also having similar problems- any the rest of you?

I have only ever used Utorrent with Net1 and even at that not very much but I got pretty much the same speed, It went as fast as 180Kbps for about one day (on x-mas eve I think it was) but most of the time it stays aroung 60-100kbps, The upload speeds are very good though, Pity its not the other way round :rolleyes:

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

they have a mast in Kentstown near Navan too.

• Advertisement

They defo trottle torrents. Friend of mine, who's service has been poor lately, rang up the office to ask about the poor speeds hes getting of late. They said they don't support customers who torrent, and trottle those customers speeds. Damn!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Net1

Eh ? - Not factual

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Got Net1 installed yesterday. Decent speeds at the moment

225098185.png

They defo trottle torrents. Friend of mine, who's service has been poor lately, rang up the office to ask about the poor speeds hes getting of late. They said they don't support customers who torrent, and trottle those customers speeds. Damn!

Just started using utorrent instead of the poor eMule and you must be wrong
    utorrentmi6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Im having an absolutey horrendous time with my Net1 service presently, i have been experiencing issues where it seems to time out for periods of 10-15 mins, as though it goes completely offline.

I aslo have painfull downloads speeds, its practically useless and so so frustrating. I use Limewire to download music and the rates are constantly under 10Kb/s lately,,, on average the rates are under 5kb/s. Im basically paying for web browsing, it never used be like this so something ahs obviously changed regards throttling downloads or something. Sometimes Limewire appears to be connected but yet when i search it pops up saying its currently trying to connect.

Im definitely not getting the service i was paying for 3months ago and will be taking this further. Absolute joke so it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

My download rates for the past few months never go over 10Kb/s and its constantly down at under 5kb/s a lot of the time. This wasnt the case until 3months ago. I also experience seriously frustrating timing out periods of 10-15mins.

This happens on 2 computers in my house.
    There are suggestions that Net1 is limiting download speeds or torrents lately,,, which would appear to be the situation in my case, as when the time out issues arent happening websites till load fine but download speeds in Limewire/Utorrent are woefull.

Ive tried a few other programs jsut to check, and they have been giving the same slow speeds downloading.

So, if anyone else is having this trouble, please reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Threads merged.

Sorry Nuttzy but the opposite happened to me, I have been getting a terrible service for over three years, Then in December last, it just got good all of a sudden, Getting 100-150Kbps down all the time now, Makes a nice change, I just wish DSL would be rolled out a lot quicker than it is.

Getting awful service as well, mainly in the evneings, where normal download speeds never peak 30kb/s on my 3mb connection, and sometimes drop to as much as 10kb/s. This seems to be the average speed from about 6pm till 1am. And yet I am getting speeds of a 7mb connection at 4.30am. Quiet strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Net1

Please run the tests on speedtest.net (Use Dublin, London and somewhere in mainland Europe) with no other applications running on your computer, or no other computers connected to your network - I have just run these tests at this time (23:30) - I use a standard home connection in Dundalk.

238841633.png
    238842737.png
    238843294.png

You, or anyone else may send these results to our support department by email and if they are below what they should be, we will cetrainly look at the problem.

Advertisement