Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Net1 broadband

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭nl

[IMG][/img]242585072.png

Have to say the service has been excellent in Dundalk for a long time now. Zero complaints

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ev612337

After 3 years of chasing Net1 in so many ways, I finally got them to come and do a REAL site test. (They had sent technicians to my house twice, but with no ladders and with no optimism!). In January they finally sent a guy with insurance to climb and do a test. SUCCESS was the result and we got signed up.

I get the impression that they just don't seem to have the manpower for the level of interest that's out there, Just shows you how backward Eircom and the Government everyone keeps re-electing are. Net1 should be a niche provider offering fill in service, but there seems to be whole towns throughout the North East who can not get alternative broadband services and have to seek a wireless provider. Shame on the powers that be.

It's been a gift here since we got it installed. I work from home full time and have gone from 300 Euro p/m ISDN bills to 47p/m to Net1 & 19.99 to freespeech.ie and have got rid of Eircom COMPLETELY.

Net1 service levels are very good and the up time is super. Also using a VoIP service results in call quality on a par with a fixed line, only far cheaper.

Happy days, after a LONG wait.

Anyone interested, PM me for details of a good contact at Net1 who can make things happen. You'll need it....

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Net1

Im sorry that you feel to need to resort to the type of language used in your above post. You make no mention here of the other (preferred) ways you can get in touch with our support department - by SMS and Email.
    As a result we have no means of checking up on your issue.
    You seem to mash your words a bit on the attic issue - is it yes or no ?
    Our installers are <B>NOT</B> insured to go into attics - period. This is not unique to your situation !! - furthermore we DO NOT give out ANY paperwork claiming to limit torrents
    Once again - if your speeds were hammered the ONLY way this could happen is if you had hundreds of simultaneous peers open on your connection. The QOS on our base stations looks at this on a continuous basis and will slow down your TCP Ack packets.
    If your ping times were really 200ms then there obviously was some sort of major problem, unarmed with any sort of real time information we are unable to take this matter further.

Tracing route to mail1.eircom.net [159.134.198.135]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 3 ms 1 ms 1 ms DD-WRT [192.168.4.1]

2 8 ms 12 ms 6 ms gw.dundalk1.net1.ie [80.249.243.1]

3 10 ms 7 ms 12 ms ge3-5.peering1.cwm.dublin.eircom.net [193.242.111.82]

4 18 ms 10 ms 8 ms mail1.eircom.net [159.134.198.135]

Trace complete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 swoonter

Wow! A response. It would appear that the language used in my previous report may have served a purpose after all. Kudos, on the grammatical correction you made to my previous message, i guess when i was typing, one of the other 30 complaints jumped into my head and i must have lost my way a little. Ok so, lets examine these findings then shall we.

Attic Installation Query: Im not pointing out that i was singled out, or the only one who had to fish wires through the attic, however no-one connected to the company or contract for that matter, mentioned this before the installation date.

Furthermore, the contract or website mentions little or no details/specs of the packages at all. Im sure many/everyone was unaware they could no longer use their pop3 email, or that the upload/download is shared. i.e. if your uploading at 1/3 of your package you now only have 2/3 of the capable download speed available.

A contract signature is required before installation, yet when the technician comes, im informed that ill never achieve the speeds i signed on for. Information that would have been more useful before id signed. Sure...you can mention the fact that an agreement could have been negotiated where upon i accepted the next package down, although pointless as it's the same as the package id previously had with eircom.

Ping Times: Sure you can get moderate pings (nowhere near comparable to standard dsl).......if your close enough! But the further away the worse it gets. Argue all you want on this on, but there there is not a person here who's ever played online gaming that would recommend your service for gaming.

I missinterpeted the port blocking in the previous post which actually related to your relay servers and the subsequent disabling of many's current email. However your QOS settings are unrealistic or unfair on the consumer. Everyone has complained about the current throttling, with torrents downloading at 56k modem speed. Why wasnt this mentioned in the contract or on the website anywhere? Almost every consumer is ordering broadband for peer to peer services, media downlad/transfer etc.. Eircom do not cap this, there is no throttling at all...why do you? Its not the same broadband service as offered by others, its RESTRICTED broadband as pointed out by both the QOS settings and the port 25 traffic blocking that prevent many from using their current email. Im no mathematician but dosent Less internet traffic for you = Less Expenditure........Coincidence????

A strange occurance has also been noted whilst using rapidshare or usenext which would not effect the QOS settings as they are not P2P based programs. If i downloaded a lot over a short period, the next day and perhaps for a few days or so my connection would be terribly slow. Perhaps to discourage any further download sprees. Am i Paranoid? Perhaps, but ive watched it happen every time for the duration of my contract so far, and im almost 10 months in.

Im not going to even bother elaborating on the customer service or lack there-of. Its a point that was evident on your customer support forums before you closed them. (maybe you didnt have the bandwidth on your servers to deal with the complaints) One quick look accross the the pages of boards.ie in relation to net1 and you'll discover that the consumer either loves or hats your service, BUT, the overall general consenous is that your customer service is rubbish. Lets take a look. Text service!!, 1.25/min customer support, email - useful for someone who's connection dosent work!!!.....lol.

In a period of just under 10 months ive also recieved no less that 16 emails (just checked) informing me, that the monthly invoice is still outstanding, or i owe installation fees (which were voided on account of the pro package). Each time i could be arsed to ring up, i was apologised to with regard to a mistake on your behalf. The last time the lady i spoke to apologised on behalf of the guy who keeps sending them. Even though he wouldnt speak to me personally she explained that he'd usually just send out another invoice reminder rather than actually look into it. That sounds like really great businnes ethics.

In conclusion net1 is an acceptable service if your like some who only use the internet for checking emails and such. But for me, i want more from my connection than just email etc.. and i dont feel that your service comes close to offering that level of service. Im also sure that many currently recieving your service feel the same as illustrated by the comments on this forum. The negative far outway the positive, a fact you should look into. (i wont hold my breath though)

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Have had zero complaints of their service for the last 3 years in Co. Meath - My Dad uses them in West Cavan too. Speeds are normally between 4 and 5 meg down and about 3 up.
    Latency is brilliant (especially to Irish servers which are often below 10ms)
    On the one occasion when my antenna blew down in the high winds last year the guys had me back up and running again within 2 days.
    My Eircom and IOL POP mail work fine - you cannot use eircom or BT's SMTP servers to send mail though as they do not allow Net1 users to use their servers to relay mail.
    I also have an IPV6 subnet routed to my home router with an entire block of IPV6 addresses for myself.
    Brill.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Getting huge speeds with FlashGet Download Manager. Well recommended :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Net1 Employee

I am an employee with Net1, and I'd like to let any forum contributors know what the situation is with regard to our boards.ie account.

We have always liked to contribute in an open manner on this forum, we felt it is another means for customers to access us regarding any problems they may have with our service. A post was recently left referring to our installers in an abusive manner. We asked for this post to be removed as we believe this isn't conducive to providing open discussion and we found it offensive. The boards.ie moderator has now barred our account.

This post is just being left to apologise for the fact that we will no longer be able to interact on this forum, whilst our account is barred, and that it is not it through choice of our own.

If anyone has any problems or grievances that they'd like to raise (without resorting to offensive and callous remarks!) they can still contact our support team at support@net1.ie or on the text line 00353 871365473.

Please bear in mind, we are a small company, attempting to provide a viable alternative in broadband internet (in areas where no other providers seem interested!). We won't get it right 100% of the time, but please remember, we do try!

Sounds very reasonable, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

I have contacted Net1 several times in relation to getting their service. Dispite being told it is available in my area I was more or less told after several emails back and forth that they dont think they will be able to get a line of site test done as the engineer knows my location and I have no chance of getting service....

If this is the case I dont know why their documentation/maps show service is available as well as all the signs up around the area....

Also takes ages to get a response to anything. Severe lack of manpower methinks...

If this is the case I dont know why their documentation/maps show service is available as well as all the signs up around the area....
    Those maps don't account for trees or such that would obstruct the line of site.

• Advertisement
Advertisement