Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Prevent Torrent abuse?

Options
  • 13-10-2007 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

hello,

As i use my connection for business use, i need to prevent Torrent on my wireless network.

currently, my fellow users are using it to illegally download 'Desperate Housewives' and other such sit-coms and other copyrighted material. i have asked nicely for them to refrain but to no avail. My 4MB connection gets cut down to 20kb/s when its being used, and im sick and tired of it.

please can someone tell me what i need to do to block this abusive and illegal downloading?

i have a Linksys wag300 router, i hope someone can help me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

Set up a NAT and only enable the necessary ports (80, 81, 25 etc.) and then it will be blocked. Also, set the router firewall to medium or high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cressa

auggie2k wrote: »
    Set up a NAT and only enable the necessary ports (80, 81, 25 etc.) and then it will be blocked. Also, set the router firewall to medium or high.

im not experienced with networks, whats a NAT? and can you expand on the list of ports necessary for normal internet access, email, Gmail chat and none torrent or P2P downloading?

these are the only options available after enabling the firewall on the router.

Filter Proxy Filter Cookies
    Filter Java Applets Filter ActiveX

thanks again for the quick reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

set your routers firewall to the highest setting, that should block the NAT so they wont be able to connect with lots of peers, it will limit the torrent speed to around 20kB/s so you should have enough bandwidth for yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cressa

set your routers firewall to the highest setting, that should block the NAT so they wont be able to connect with lots of peers, it will limit the torrent speed to around 20kB/s so you should have enough bandwidth for yourself

BloodSugarSex.. Magic!

although our router is not one of those cheap pieces of crap you get from an ISP, it still doenst seem to have a advanced Firewall setup. i've uploaded a screenshot below.
    i checked for a firmware upgrade at linksys.com but doesnt look like there is one.

if i could reduce the torrent to 20kb/s that would be great, i wouldnt be accused of being Draconian over their internet usage, it would just get slower all of a sudden! given that is a WAG300N, does this shed any light? i can upload more screenshots of the other tabs if it helps.

ScreenShot

thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

With a bog standard router you can only block them or allow them, but not limit them. You would require a more advanced firewall for this, something like Monowall comes to mind which is a free BSD program.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

I have the very same router, and there are a couple of things you could try. I haven't tested these myself, so I don't know if they will work or not, but provided you don't do anything out of the ordinary you should be OK. The first one should block all bittorrent permanently...

click on "Access Restrictions" and then make sure the following are ticked.. "Enable", "Allow", "Everyday", "24 Hours". Go down to blocked services, and select "User-Defined". In the two boxes that are beside that put in the following numbers 49152, and 65535 (you could be much stricter and put in 1025 and 65535, but it shouldn't really be necessary). Lastly select "TCP and UDP" in the drop down menu.

You'll also have to click on "Edit list of IP's". If you know the IP's other people will be using put them in there, if you're not sure go down to the bottom where it says Enter the IP Range of the PCs, under "IP Range 01" put the following two numbers one in each of the two boxes 1 and 254.

The second option won't block any traffic, and it may not do anything at all to help you as it's mostly inbound traffic you're trying to control but it's worth a shot, and it might improve your browsing experience to some degree at least, esp if your fellow users don't limit their upload when torrenting....

Click on "Applications & Gaming" and then "QoS" click enabled, and Set Internet bandwidth to the highest allowable number for me that's 3072 but yours might say something different. Under applications select "Add a new application" call it whatever you like, and then for category select "port range". In the two boxes put the following two numbers 1 and 1024, set priority to "high" and click add.

Hope that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

If you have a spare old PC lying around you could try something like SmoothWall (or m0n0wall as suggested previously). The latest edition of Smoothwall has a pretty easy outbound restriction config page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 l33t-krew

fire them? :D

Advertisement